Status: Please let me know what you think! I will write more to this only if you guys like!

Torn Between Two

The Goddess

“she’s still too young yet. The awakening isn't even for another week until she turns the rightful age of twenty. Why have they started attacking her now?” Alex stood there shirtless with his wings folded and spoke to the man standing in front of him.

“The barrier has fallen, now anyone who is looking for her can detect her without a problem. This was going to happen. Just it was sooner than expected. We need you by her side more than ever now Alexander. You fell for a reason, didn't you? now your reason has come. If you let her die, I will kill you myself.” The mysterious man warned in such a manner it brought goose bumps down Alex’s spine.

“Understood…” Alex placed his right palm on his chest and bowed down low, his head dipped down in respect.

Starr could hear Alex’s and another man’s voice in the distance. Their voices sounded full of urgent worry. Who was he talking to? What was he talking about? Everything was still so dark around her. she knew it was because her eyes were closed but she just didn’t have the strength to open them. she could feel her pulse throbbing in her throat causing her head to hurt so severely she could vomit.

Finally she groaned before gathering everything she had to lift her body up in an upright position with her elbows. Slowly she lifted her left arm to rub the back of her pounding head as if it were to make the pain go away, of course, it didn’t work. Her eyes averted to the two men who were standing to the left of the bed she was laying on. She stared at them with such a confused expression the mysterious man couldn't help but let out a chuckle.

The man in front of her had a pair of identical feathery wings as Alex, however she has never seen something so pure and white it would blind ones eyes. He stood 5’11 feet tall. The mysterious man wore his buzz cut well. His lashes accented his deep brown eyes nicely. He had strong cheekbones and a faded, incoming beard. With one glance he would seem to be in his mid forties. There was something about that expression on his face. Full of so much sorrow, pain. This man must have lost something dear to him or simply never had anything close enough to call dear… She wasn’t quite sure which yet.

“Explain everything to her, answer any questions she has to an extent that you are able. I will take my leave knowing you have things under control.” The white winged man turned to walk out the door then stopped. He looked over his shoulder and spoke sternly “Take good care of her, and be careful Alexander.”

Alex only nodded. Suddenly there was a blinding bright light that felt so pure it made Starr just want to cry and confess her sins. Slowly it began to subside only to find the shorter man was gone!

“What the hell was that! What is going on Alex? Why do you have wings? Why am I here? where is here?” She became silent for a moment, recalling everything that happened as her fingertips touched her now bandaged neck. “That bastard! Vincent! What the hell was that? What is going on!” She began to yell and rant as she flung her legs to the side of the bed and stood. her head suddenly became so light while her legs felt like rubber. She began to stumble and fall but with one swift movement Alex went from one end of the room to her side. He embraced her in his arms lifting her off her feet as if terrified to let go, nuzzling his nose into the curve of her neck and whispered softly. “I’m sorry, I wasn't there. I’m sorry.”

Starr pulled away and stared into those emerald eyes. “What do you mean, What is going on? Who was that man? What is the ‘awakening’?”

Alex folded his wings tight causing them to shrink into the muscles of his back soon appearing as the all familiar winged tattoo. He softly placed her feet back on the floor causing the wood to creek. He walked over to the bed and slowly took a seat on the noisy old string mattress before slumping over and placing his elbows on his knees allowing his arms to just dangle.

Starr just stood there watching with wide eyes. Her arms crossed as she paced back and forth about the room “I’m going crazy, I MUST be going insane. yes. I’ve certainly lost it now.”

“Starr, Come here, sit down, and shut up.” Alex blurted out very serious about what he was about to tell her. “This is not a joke. There is very serious events going on that you must be informed about to be ready for it. now sit and listen” He told her while patting the side of the bed next to him. Starr did as he asked without hesitation. Maybe everything he had just said was finally sinking in, this was real and she was in some trouble if she didn’t listen to him and learn exactly what was going on.

Once Starr was situated and comfortable, well as comfortable you could be on an ancient mattress, he scooted back against log wood wall, leaning the back of his head against it before letting out a deep sigh trying to get himself ready for this conversation. “I never wanted to be the one to tell you this. I wanted to be the one to hide you and protect you from all of the bad things that come your way… But that’s just not how it turned out it seems…” He turned to her with a sad little smirk against his lips. “I will explain from the beginning…”

Starr gulped out load and shifted her position on the bed not sure of what would come out of his mouth next. She had no idea what was going on, she didn’t know what to expect.

“THis world you grew up with, is not what you know it to be. THere are things that you wouldn’t believe to be real. your nightmares are about to come true. the things people call ‘Demons’ are certainly truth. That’s what you would call, Vincent. They roam these street trying their best to stay on the down low so they can live amongst the humans. There are also Angels. Like the man you saw me talking to earlier. they are the warriors of what you would call God. Then there is things like me. What they call the medium. There are two kinds of mediums. Fallen angels and risen demons. Becoming a Medium is by their own choice. it has to be their own will and their own wish alone to do this. they can not be forced. Mediums are looked down upon from the angels and demons because mediums are the warriors of the Goddess… and this,” Alex paused “Is where you come in” He finished.

Starr stared at him puzzled. “But why? what does a Goddess have to do with me?”

“I’ll first explain what a Goddess is before I answer that question.” He explained. “What we call goddess is not some God or some Greek God. You have this all wrong. What we are explaining as ‘goddess’ is an all powerful being who if they were to chose our kind will make us invincible. A simple taste of their blood doubles our strength. One kiss would triple our life span, and becoming the goddess’s Husband would make him invincible. A Goddess is reborn every time one dies. However for the first two decades of the Goddess’s life is one of an ordinary young woman. On her Twentieth birthday she receives abilities of her own and the ability to aid the others. This is called the Awakening” He was interrupted by Starr

“Okay I understand, the Goddess is wanted by all the things that go bump in the night. but why does this have to do with me?”

Alex frowned. “Don’t you understand? It’s got everything to do with you because you are the goddess and two days from today on May 18th you will Awaken and your life as you know it will forever be changed.”

Silence filled the room. Starr couldn’t be the Goddess. She was just a girl who had no style in clothing, no boyfriend, and a boring life. there was no way.

Everything began to sink in, her voice quivered as and spoke softly to Alex. “What will happen to me on my birthday? on this Awakening?”

Alex sighed and looked away. “I honestly don’t know that answer. I just know that you will be marked as the Goddess.”

“I see.” Starr brought her knee up to her chest then embraced them in silence. “Hey Alex, Is that why you kissed me, because I’m the Goddess?”

Alex turned to her. his lips curved every so slightly into a smile in a sad manner. “Yes, and no. Yes it was because you were the Goddess, but no it wasn't because I wanted you for myself. It was to protect you from Vincent. However it didn’t go as i thought it would….”

“I see” Her voice was dull and emotionless. she was honestly disappointed that the kiss meant nothing to him. He only kissed her to try to sway Starr away from Vincent to protect her from him. An unexpected silent tear rolled down her cheek then another and another. The tears wouldn’t stop falling. she never imagined being rejected from him would hurt this bad. “I understand now.” It was evident in her voice she was crying. I should have never fell in love with you… she thought to herself before laying down. “I just want to sleep now. please leave me be…”

Alex stood and walked to the door and opened it. “As you wish…” then closed it behind him.