Status: Enjoy, send input, ideas etc. Thanks

Shattered

Run

Katie awoke only to find that she was not in the comforts of her own home, but that she was in a strange pale blue room. There were two windows with white curtains hanging ever so peacefully. There was an obnoxious beeping noise that she could not seem to drown out, it was so overwhelming. Katie looked down to find that she was hooked to machine after machine; there were large tubes and wires taking over her face and arms. Where am I? She thought in confusion, am I in the hospital? Katie wrestled with the bed until she was sitting in an upright position; the pain was so intense that she groaned.

“Katie?” a worried voice called.

“Where am I?” Katie replied in terror.

“Baby, you’re in the hospital... don’t you remember anything?” her mother Lily asked while in tears.

“Well... I... ugh... I don’t remember... I was with Ben and then I woke up and now I’m here. Is everything alright? Where’s Ben? Mom, he’s okay, right?”

Lily reached out and held her daughters hand, “Baby girl, I’m so glad you’re okay,” Lily began sobbing even more, “but, I don’t know how to tell you this... but you and Ben got into a car accident...”

“Mom... where’s my Ben?” Katie bawled.

“Ben didn’t make it baby... I’m so sorry.”

“No... Stop lying! He’s alive, I know he is! I’ll prove it to you! It’s all lies!” Katie cried.

“I wish it were that simple dolly... you’ll be okay, we’ll all be fine, we’ll help each other work through the pain, it’s okay to feel like this,” Lily hugged her sobbing daughter. “Everything’s going to be alright baby.”

“No!” Katie awoke from sleep to find herself in that same hospital room. But this time her mother was no where’s to be found. A lone black woman sitting by the window was all she could see.

“Are you awake, doll?” the tiny woman asked.

“Yes...” Katie muttered. “Who are you?”

“M’Roberta Black, I’ll be your nurse during your stay with us, if you need anythang, or have any questions or concerns don’t be shy missy.”

“What happened? Why am I here?” Katie asked in utter confusion.

“You O.D’ed, you cut yourself; ya lost a lot of blood, and you hit your head pretty badly doll. M’afraid ya won’t be havin’ many visitors. Only the doc, and myself, until your transfer comes in,” she placed her hand on Katie’s and smiled. “Now, now, get some rest.”

“I didn’t mean too... it was just too much to handle... I’m sorry,” Katie cried. “But what do you mean by transfer?”

“Your parents have requested that we send y’all to Narconon Trois-Rivières, a rehabilitation centre in Quebec about five and a half, six hours from here. You can have visitors, one day every two to three weeks until you’re better.”

“...I can only see family and friends every two to three weeks?”

“Yes ma’am, it’s for the best, my dear.”

“It’ll work right?” Katie cried.

The slender woman –Roberta—if she remembered correctly looked Katie in the eyes, “Child, I have seven youngens of my own and I know I would not send away my precious youngsters if it weren’t for the best. So what m’sayin’ is that I know that you’ll get better, and you’ll be able to see your family and friends in no time.”

“Okay...” Katie whimpered as Nurse Roberta left the room.

Before long Katie was fast asleep.

Ben sat on the beach watching as Katie splashed in the water. The mid-July air was ever so warm, and it was the day that Katie and Ben visited her Aunt Floral, and they went to Lake Ontario. Katie remembered that was a good day. Ben watched carefully as Katie ran to lie beside him. It was the day she wished that he would say those three words. Katie looked at Ben; she gave him a kiss and sat on his lap, but out of the blue he slowly began to fade to nothing.

“What’s going on?” Katie screamed. “Ben, I need you, baby! Where are you?”

By this point she could hear nothing but a ticking noise and loud laughter, everything turned black, and she couldn’t see anything. Katie continued to call out for Ben… but nothing happened. A light began to flicker from behind her, she turned around to see what was going on, and she saw Ben’s casket being lowered into his grave.

“Ben! Come back! Stay with me! Come back to me!” Nobody hears her cries; Katie’s left all alone as she re-imagines the car slamming into them…

“Ahhh! Stop it! Noo!” Katie woke up crying from yet another nightmare. He’s been dead a year, so why does he still haunt me? Katie’s mind was running wild, she couldn’t think for even a moment. It must be this hospital, she thought as she ripped the IV out of her arm and got out of the bed. I need to get out of here! Katie put on her slippers and immediately ran out of her room and down the corridor, she didn’t make it far before she noticed Roberta and Doctor Shepard, she didn’t have much time to make her escape, so she ducked and slowly turned in the other direction.

“Stop that girl!” Roberta called out in her husky voice.

Within a minute Katie was being held down by two nurses while Doctor Shepard was sedating her. She went out like a light.