Status: Expect slow updates. I work full time... and I'm lazy. :)

Midnight Flight

The Search

There were twelve gates at Jump City's tiny airport; each with an airplane parked outside due to the bomb threat shutting down the airport. This left an extra plane, full of passengers, waiting idly on the runway until all of the planes at the gates were searched and dismissed. Everybody else having been evacuated, each titan assigned them self to search three of the twelve empty planes as thoroughly as possible; Starfire tagging along with Robin due to his insistence.

“Nothing on plane #5.” Cyborg’s voice rang through the four other communicators. “Two down, one to go.”

“Dude! I barely even started my first one. How are you so fast?” Beast Boy complained.

“Drop it, Beast Boy.” Robin snapped into his communicator. He was irritated. “Just get back to searching. And don’t rush. This isn’t a race, and we have to find that bomb.

“Aye aye, Captain.” He mocked.

“I have searched the last of the compartments over the heads.” Starfire said, floating down next to Robin. “They are all empty.”

“Alright. Help me check underneath the seats.”

“Plane #1 is all clear.” Raven informed through the communicators.

“Good. Keep searching.” Robin barked.

“Robin?” Starfire asked suddenly.

“What is it? Did you find something?”

“No. I... have the bad feeling.”

“We all do.” Robin retorted. “There’s a bomb on one of these planes that could detonate at any second. We have to-”

“It is not that.” She told him as she dug her hands through one of the back seat pockets. “It is something... else. We should not have come here.” She said shaking her head slowly.

“Why not, Starfire?”

“I... I am not sure...”

“Look,” He approached her and grabbed both of her hands. “I know you’re scared. Blackfire showing up is... well, it’s a big deal. It’ll be okay though, Star. I promise. As soon as we find this bomb, we can go home and figure everything out.” He released her. “Now come on. We have to hurry.” Robin’s communicator blipped an unrecognizable sound. Puzzled, Starfire looked on from behind Robin’s shoulder as he hit the “1 new message” button.

DO YOU KNOW ANYONE ON PLANE #13?

“Number 13?” Robin asked aloud in panic. “There isn’t one!”

“There!” Starfire shrilled and pointed out the window to the only plane still on the runway. The one full of people. Robin dashed to the emergency exit facing the plane and pulled the hatch. He jumped out in a flash and ran toward the full plane. Starfire pulled out her communicator.

“Titans, emergency! The bomb is-” The communicator flew from her hands. Her gasp was drowned out by the explosion.

It was rattling. Starfire watched the orange and black fire burst from plane on the runway and quickly shut her eyes, blinded. She clung to one of the seats as she felt the plane being forced onto its side, crushing one of its wings. The blast shattered all of the windows at once, which caused countless shards of glass to rip against the seats, and Starfire’s body. Startled and jolted, she lost hold of the seat, which like all of the other seats, were disconnecting from the floor and tumbling with the plane. She fell into the ceiling of the plane with them, her body battering around as the plane skidded and crashed into the one next to it. It was several moments before quiet and calm came.

“Is everybody alright?” Came Raven’s voice, alarmed, through Starfire’s communicator. Starfire groaned as she forced a large, heavy chunk of the plane’s former floor off of her. Coughing heavily, she reached for the communicator to respond; it was gone. Starfire lifted her head, painfully, and scanned the debris.

“Ugh... my head hurts.” Came another voice from the communicator. Starfire snapped her head in the direction and saw it lying on top of a pile of junk.

“Beast Boy, thank god. Cyborg? Starfire? Robin? Come in.” Starfire stretched her arm toward the device, but she could not reach. She could barley move her arms. Looking down at herself, she gasped at the several deep, bleeding marks and cuts the glass and other debris had made all over her. She tried to move once more, but it was hopeless. She needed help. She scanned her surroundings. Everything was clouded by smoke and heat. She struggled to breath, and she struggled to see; until a thought occurred to her suddenly.

“ROBIN!” She screamed, remembering how quickly he was headed toward the plane. She couldn’t recall how close he actually was when the explosion went off. “ROBIN!” Violent coughs followed. She laid her head back down and shut her eyes tightly, wishing for this to be a horrible dream.

“Dude, did you feel that? I totally got knocked over and I was all the way on the other side of the airport!” Said Beast Boy again.

“Yes. We have to find the others.” Raven said frantically.

“Oh, right. Um... Cyborg would’ve been in plane... 6.”

“Which plane exploded?” Raven asked quickly.

“Hell if I know. Where were Rob and Star?”

“They were on #7... so the bomb must have detonated near all three of them.”

“Wait, 6 and 7 were right by that plane on the runway, right?”

“Let’s meet up there. Hurry!” Said Raven. Starfire’s mind was getting hazy as she listened to their conversation. Her head was throbbing, and she could barely breathe. They would find her though. It would be okay.

A violent thud and a crash close by made Starfire’s mind come back to her. Her eyes flew open. “Robin?”

“No.” Said a voice. It was in a language she knew well, but one she had never spoken nor had she heard it in a very long time. Starfire’s heart seemed to stop as her eyes focused on the approaching figure.