Status: Expect slow updates. I work full time... and I'm lazy. :)

Midnight Flight

Nightmares

Throughout the next few nights, Starfire’s sleep was restless. She had several horrible dreams, or memories, rather, that continued to wake her in tears. After the sixth or seventh nightmare, Starfire swing her legs onto the floor and wiped her eyes dry with her arm. She took a couple deep breaths to stop the shaking of her body, but it was no use. Perhaps the snack of midnight would solve this problem, she thought.

The common room was dark and empty. She slumped over to the fridge and opened it harshly. Suddenly, she felt sick, not hungry. Clutching her stomach, she made her way over to the sofa groaning. She could not remove the images from her dreams out of her head. With a grunt, she collapsed on the red cushions and clutched her knees to her chest as she let the tears fall freely down her cheeks.

“Starfire?” She did not answer. She knew whose voice it belonged to; the only one she had ever dreamed about... but unfortunately hadn’t played the lead in her dreams tonight. She did not move from her position but instead stared out the wall sized window as she listened to his footsteps approaching. “Star...” He repeated loudly full of concern as he rounded the sofa, seeing her contorted body and tearstained face. “What is it? What’s wrong?” He asked frantically as he knelt on the ground to level his head with hers. She continued to ignore him, avoiding his gaze. “Starfire?” He asked softly this time, tucking a veil of her hair away from her face and behind her shoulder.

“Please go away.” She demanded trying her best to sound normal but failed miserably due to the cracking of her voice and the loud sniffle that followed. Robin was taken aback.

“What? I’m not going anywhere.” He snapped. “Tell me what’s going on.” Starfire shook her head slowly before turning her head all the way to the side and burying it in the sofa as soft, uncontrollable sobs took over.

“Go.” She attempted in a whisper but was drowned out by her sobbing. She felt Robin shift beside her.

“Starfire...” He whispered softly. Breaking her balled position, he gently lifted her upper body and sat her up. He sat down beside her, pulling her into him and wrapping his arms around her as she sobbed more hysterically into his chest. He could feel his night shirt beginning to get wet and her hands bunching the material in her fists, making it a rather uncomfortable fit. He sighed hopelessly and continued to draw circles on her back with his fingertips until she calmed down.

“I am sorry.” She said suddenly, muffled because of her face still buried in his shirt.

“Don’t be. Can you tell me what happened?” He felt her sigh deeply, shifting slightly so her hair was just beneath his nose. He inhaled discreetly. He loved the smell of her hair; of course he’d never admit it to anyone.

“It was a nightmare.” She murmured as she turned her head to the side, in attempt to listen to his heartbeat. She sighed once again when she found it.

“What was it?” He asked. Starfire’s eyes widened. She would not answer. She would not even think of it. She never wanted to think of it again. “Star? You can tell me anything. You know that, right?” She ignored the last question.

“The last time I experienced a dream as realistic and horrifying as this, Blackfire arrived shortly after.”

“Do you think she’s coming back?” Oh, if only he knew the story. Starfire merely shook her head. Something much, much worse was coming. She shuddered. “Are you cold?” He asked sincerely holding her tighter. She let a small smile creep onto her face.

“Perhaps a little.” She replied quietly before he began rubbing her back and arms to warm her. She nuzzled herself against him contently. Robin stopped. Silence. “Robin?”

“Yeah, Star?”

“You are angry with me?”

“What? Why would I be angry with you?” He asked in surprise. Starfire lifted herself from him and sat up all the way.

“Then... you do not like me?”

“Starfire, what are you talking about? Of course I like you.”

“Then, you do not like me in the way... I would like.” She concluded quietly more to herself then to him. She kept her head down and gazed at her hands in her lap. There was a long, awkward silence.

“Starfire...” The alarms blared deafeningly, making them both jump slightly. “Damn it!” He leapt from the couch and rushed to his room to change back into his uniform. Starfire huffed before wiping her eyes quickly. Not a moment later, Raven, Cyborg, and Beast Boy emerged into the common room all carrying sleepy expressions.

“Where’s Robin?” Cyborg asked.

“Here.” Robin dashed out in his uniform and over to the console. “It looks like Fang’s escaped from jail.” He said seriously. Starfire felt her blood boil at the memory of that night. The memory of Kitten and what happened at prom always made her angry.

“Great.” Said Raven.

“Tell me there aren’t anymore moths.” Cyborg whined.

“Or Kittens!” Starfire added angrily. Robin frowned.

“Nope. Just Fang. He’s robbing a jewelry store down on 5th. Titans, go!” The five of them were off in a blur.