Status: Expect slow updates. I work full time... and I'm lazy. :)

Midnight Flight

Confession

Robin stormed out of the office not a minute later. He found himself standing in the middle of the common room when he realized that, much to his demise, Raven had retreated to her room once more. He was furious at her; furious at her for arguing, lying, hiding something, being a smart ass, and most of all, intruding his mind. It was something she had only done once before; though this time was not as extreme and not necessary to save anyone’s life. Now Raven knew everything he loved and adored about Starfire; each specific thing about her that he held dear and always secret... and here she was, using all of it against him. He was furious. And then she goes off telling him that he’s in love! What the hell gives her the right to tell him how he feels? He glanced at the back of the sofa, knowing what was on the other side. But did he dare?

Robin sighed to himself before lazily heading over to sit next to a frozen Starfire lying on her stomach. He had to sit quite a distance from her to avoid being poked in the tush by her fingers. Against his better judgment, he looked over at her face and was almost shocked to see how worried she looked. Her eyes, which seemed to be gazing straight into his, seemed full of fear and concern. Robin knew that this face was the result of Raven’s unexpected fit, however he wondered if there was another reason for it.

“Sorry I’m so grouchy, Star.” He told her softly, looking into those frozen, green eyes. “You know I get like that sometimes.” He admitted looking down onto his lap. He heard Starfire let out a soft mewing noise and looked at her with a smirk. “You know, I kind of like this.” He stuttered quickly. “Not, that you’re, you know, frozen. But...” He hesitated. “I think it’ll make this easier.” He sighed, standing up from the sofa and pacing.
“I just wanted to, uh... finish our conversation from before.” He paused for a moment, waiting for a noise to emerge from her, but no such luck. “This is kind of strange, you not being able to say anything back, but...” He huffed. “I have to get this out. First of all, you caught me off guard this morning. You know I’m not good with... these kind of feelings. I just... I... didn’t know what you wanted me to say. I didn’t know what to do. I’ve never been in a relationship before, and I don’t know how I’m supposed to act.

“So I start thinking. Am I supposed to act different then normal? What if things get awkward for us? I don’t want that! And what if we can’t have fun like we used to because we’re so concerned about how we’re supposed to act? What if we won’t be able to keep eye contact for more then two seconds because of getting so embarrassed for no reason? I love your eyes, Star. I want to look at them for more than two seconds.

“I don’t know what gave you the idea that I don’t like you, but...” He hesitated again before placing his hand on both of her outstretched ones. They were cold and stiff in their present state. “Starfire...” He paused as if waiting for a response before continuing. “I’ve liked you ever since you kissed me. The first time, I mean. This whole time‒” He paused, letting out a breath of air. “I don’t‒ How‒” He took another deep breath. “I don’t know how to tell‒” He rubbed the back of his neck.

“Okay. Here goes.” He took a deep breath. “Starfire, I... You’re the sweetest, most caring person I’ve ever met. And... I think it’s... amazing... when you show off your strength. And you’re so beautiful. I... I love the color of your skin. And... your shampoo; it smells like... like mangos, and... you always smell so good, and... and...” Robin stopped as he realized he was making a fool of himself. Quit sounding like a dork! Think of something else!

“Er... I... I love holding you?” He winced as he realized that it sounded like a question. “When you’re in my arms, I just... it feels so right. I didn’t want to let you go this morning, but... And you know what, I love when you ask me questions about Earth... about anything. I don’t know, it’s just... and your voice, it’s like... like a soft... and when you say my name, for some reason... you make it sound like... it seems like it should just be only for you to say... you make it sound so... and...” He stopped himself again. Part of him felt like he was talking to a wall, and even he was sounding too stupid for it. He hesitated before continuing. Keep going. He could just hear Raven’s angry voice in his head.

“Okay... I... I love that we can share things with just each other. When we talk, just you and me, sometimes it feels like we’re in our own world, and I love knowing that I can escape to it anytime. Starfire, you’re the only one I’ve ever been able to talk to like this. I’ve never shared my inner feelings with anyone but you. You’re my best friend, Star.” He said, now close to a whisper.
When he stopped to look back at her eyes, he only now noticed they seemed to sparkle from the bit of moisture that was forming. “I... I want us to be more then that.” He blurted as if forcing himself to keep going. “I’m ready for us to be more.” He sighed. “I’m sorry I’ve been so distant lately, I just... I didn’t know how to handle it. I’m not used to this kind of thing, you know?” He looked down. She hadn’t made a peep this entire time. Robin huffed to himself. “I’m... kind of wishing you could say something.” He let out a nervous laugh. “But... then I’d feel like even more of an idiot.” He let out a breath. “Awkward...” He continued, hand on the back of his neck. “Anyway, just thought you should know... so... that’s it.” He stood up. “Uh... yeah...” He trailed off as he padded away.

Starfire wanted to scream. She wanted to shoot strait out of the tower ceiling until reaching the moon and slingshot right back. She wanted to laugh, and dance and cry. She wanted to fly after Robin and throw herself in his arms and kiss him all over. All of her pent up energy made her feel like she could explode, but still she could not move. So she waited. And waited. And waited some more.

It was about three hours later when she finally heard a door to the common room open. She startled herself awake; which means the venom had worn off some time ago. She was sprawled face down on the sofa with a blanket draped over her body. She groaned in pain as she lifted her body up from the couch and stretched.

“Hey, Star. How’s the body?” Cyborg asked grabbing a soda from the fridge.

“The body? Oh! You mean my body?”

“Heh. Yeah, that’s the one.”

“It has... the aching... I am having trouble with the moving of my muscles...” She spoke slowly as she tested the limits of her arms and legs.

“Yeah, you should be sore for a while. You were frozen for some time. Maybe you should go back to your room and get some rest.” He said approaching her and handing her a soda.

“I thank you for your concern,” She said sweetly as she accepted the beverage. “But I must speak with Raven. She seemed... quite angry with me.” Again, she spoke slowly, trying to calculate in her mind why she had been snapped at earlier. Also, trying not to blurt out what Robin had said while the venom was in effect. She wanted to talk to him first before spreading it around the tower. Cyborg looked at her in slight confusion before shrugging and grabbing the remote to turn on the TV.

***

Starfire padded warily to Raven’s room. After taking a deep breath, she knocked three quiet times. She stood patiently, hoping that Raven was too busy to answer. And if she did, Starfire hoped that whatever they had to talk about wouldn’t take long; she was dying to tell her about Robin’s confession. The door opened slightly and she saw two eyes poke out from the darkness.

“Raven...” Starfire greeted cautiously while noting the exhaustion in her eyes. “You wished to speak to me when the venom’s effect had run its course.” She reminded her. Raven nodded, sighed, and opened her door all the way, motioning her in. It was not often that Raven invited any of them into her room. Starfire had only remembered being inside a total of four times. “I have wonderful news.” Starfire stated happily as Raven led her to sit on the floor next to her. Raven sighed and placed her hands in her lap.

“We should discuss something first.” She paused for a long while. Starfire sat quietly and waited. “When we were fighting Fang, what were you thinking about?”

“Er... I believe I was focused on kicking the butt.”

“No, you weren’t.” Raven stated as her eyes dug deep into Starfire’s.

“I am most certain I was.”

“Starfire, you can’t fool me.” Starfire gasped quietly. How could she‒ “I saw images when we were in the heat of battle. You were distracted; so distracted in fact, that I saw what was in your mind, and the strength of the visions was too much for me to handle.” Starfire gasped again, putting her hands up to her mouth. “Starfire, you need to tell me what’s going on.”

“No!” She retorted as her hands clutched her hair. “Please, do not make me explain. Please, Raven...”

“Starfire...” Raven said softer this time, starting to think that she had might have made a mistake in attempting to draw this out. “What I saw, did that really happen to you? I saw‒”

“Please, Raven, do not!” Starfire begged standing up and shaking her head vigorously. “Do not! I do not wish to listen to what you saw!”

“I need to know.” Raven said standing up to face her. “Were they dreams? Are you having nightmares about your past?” Starfire groaned as if in pain as she sunk to her knees as water filled her eyes.

“Raven, I beg you, do not make me say! Do not make me speak of this! Please!” Raven gently placed a hand on her shoulder, which was not a common gesture for her.

“I don’t know what’s going on, Starfire, but I have bad feeling about this; which means the moment something happens, you need to tell us everything.” Starfire looked up at Raven with desperate eyes. “All of us. I’m sorry to ask, but... I’ll leave it up to you for when you tell us, but... it should be sooner rather than later. It could place all of us at risk.”

“Raven, do you know something that I do not? What is your ‘bad feeling’ telling you?”

“I’m not sure. But I know that if you told us what was going on in your head, it would make things clear, and maybe even prepare us for whatever’s going to happen.” Silence. “Just... Don’t worry about it right now.” Raven looked apologetically at Starfire for a moment. “So... what was that good news you wanted to tell me?” There was a pause.

“Robin wishes to pursue the romance with me.” She replied very quietly.

“That’s great.” Raven said trying her best to sound enthusiastic enough to bring a smile to her face. No prevail.

“Yes.” Starfire agreed still straight faced and looking suddenly drained. “It is most satisfying.” She stood up again. “I am going to retire to my room now. I am still... quite tired.”

“Yeah. You need rest after today. Try and get some sleep.” Starfire nodded solemnly and turned to leave. “Starfire?”

“Yes Raven?”

“I’m here... you know, if you need someone to talk to.” Raven was not used to telling her friends these things, but she meant it with all of her heart. She loved Starfire, and it tore her up to see her hurting.

“Thank you, friend Raven. Pleasant shlorvaks.” She replied sweetly and attempted her usual giddy smile. Raven sighed as she watched Starfire walk out of her room as the door shut behind her.