A Family Affair

She's Got Style

It had all started exactly a year and a half ago, when he met her again for the very first time. They had met when they were both little, she was probably 3 and he was probably 2, who remembers that? She had shown up at his grandparent’s door step with her mom, little brother, and cousins from her dad’s side of the family. It was actually quite a surprise, he was saying goodbye to his family from Philly, it was his grandpa’s birthday and they had all gotten together for lunch in his New Jersey suburbs home. He opened the door and there she was, clueless, a little nervous; she didn’t really know this side of the family.
He did recognize her mom though; he had met her once when she paid a quick visit back from a business trip “Aunt Marge!” he said as he greeted them. “Damien! You’re so grown up, look how handsome you are!” she was really more excited to finally see her cousins again “where’s your mom?” She asked. “Oh, here, come on in…” he guided them inside “I’m your cousin Damien.” He said turning to her smiling, he pulled her in for a hug and a costume peck on the cheek. “I guess that makes me your cousin Adina.” She said in a very shy manner. He chuckled at her wittiness and continued to greet everyone else, her little brother, Daniel, and her cousins Robert and Lara.
The next few minutes were filled with “oh look at you” s and “long time no see” s and “last time I saw you…” s. It went on until they had all been re-introduced or had been introduced for the first time and they were all sitting in the living room catching up.
He couldn’t keep his eyes away from her for more than a minute at a time, and that made him uncomfortable. She hadn’t noticed him glancing at her long dark curly hair, and her deep brown eyes perfectly decorated by her long full lashes and framed by her perfect thick eyebrows, her lips slightly pouted and pink. She was quiet, shy, holding back and acting like a perfect little angel, an 18 year old little angel with the walk of the devil and the body of Aphrodite and Venus combined. Only he would notice this, of course; what little she said, every time she laughed and smiled he was pulled in a little more. How can someone related to him cause such an impact, on first sight? How could she be so enigmatic?
“So textile design at FIDM in Los Angeles?” asked his mom, her aunt Lily.
“yes.” said Adina, smiling.
“That’s sort of a big change, from Florida to California; can you deal with the buzz of LA?” Said Grandpa Ernest.
“I know, but change is good, and it was an offer I just could not refuse.”
“Will you be staying with Aunt Martha?” asked Damien.
“Yes, actually, for a while.”
“While she gets used to the L.A way of life.” Her mom added.
The conversation took many paths after that. Memoirs from when all the adults in the room were little rascals, weddings, babies… Frankie, Damien’s little brother, who had Down syndrome was really the life of that party, talking about Adina’s grandpa’s ranch in Mexico, and his magnificent house, and how much he wanted to go to Mexico. He made everyone laugh. Then they talked about Damien’s future as a big league soccer player and how hard it was for him to keep up with training and school, but how strong and determined he was to pull through and make it work.
Sometimes Damien would doze off, looking at her, trying not to, and going over their relation to convince himself it wasn't a good idea; ‘Your grandma Lilia is Her Grandpa’s half sister, your mom is her mom’s cousin, she’s your second… and a half? Cousin….’ He was extremely conflicted, while she was fresh as a lettuce, oblivious to his train of thought, or perhaps him in general.
Then it was picture time. “Kids, gather around grandpa and grandma.” Someone said. Damien and Adina wouldn't realize how awkward those pictures would turned out to be, he was nervously leaning inwards behind the couch grandpa Ernest and grandma Lilia were sharing, as she was standing straight next to it, Frankie ran in front of her so she could put her arm around him, and Daniel stood just as awkwardly and tall as Damien on the other side.
It was time for Adina and company to leave, Robert and Lara lived in the Upper East side of New York.
He wanted so bad to let her know, but was afraid of her reaction, so he chose to keep quiet and be polite. Where would it get him anyway?
So she left, leaving behind a trail of mystery, many unspoken thoughts, and one sure statement “ she won’t last in LA” he said as her cousin’s shiny black Volvo took off. His mom looked at him; eyebrows raised “oh?” was all that she could say. “Remember this moment mom, when she comes back to visit. Come on, let’s go back inside.” He said putting his arm around his mother’s small frame.
That night he proceeded to find her on facebook, and she proceeded to tag him in the family pictures her mom had taken.
They wouldn't see each other for a year and a half after that.