A Family Affair

Nothing But Time

They would talk every once in a while over facebook, shortly, and sometimes awkwardly.
Adina would sometimes get a strange feeling that her cousin was hitting on her. She knew better though, or thought she did, and decided she was just reading too much into it.
A lot went on in that year and a half. She had gotten a boyfriend, who 5 months later broke up with her leaving her devastated. Her grandfather had fallen sick, she had had possibly the worst Christmas, new years, and birthday ever. Shortly after her 20th birthday her grandpa passed away. She had also gotten fed up with LA and her school and had decided to get away from it all. She would be spending some time with her cousins in New York, possibly take a look into Parson’s and FIT.
Damien on the other side had also had some downs, and one up. First he had skinned his leg, from the calf to the outer thigh, playing soccer. It hurt him to place his foot on the ground, walking was painful, running, and playing soccer where out of the question. He recovered and jumped back into his semi-pro team. He fell in love with a sweet girl named Aranza at school, asked her to be his girlfriend and she said yes. Then he started having breathing problems and had to get surgery, his team had promised him a saved spot, but when he got back he discovered they had taken him out, for good, but not for the better.

They had now been talking to each other for a few days.
“Adina!” he had started.
“hey! I’m in New York, sorry for not telling you.” She replied.

The conversation eventually spiraled into the defining moments of their lives in the past few months. Then from one moment to another he got weird, almost shy, and then he said “can I tell you a little secret?”
“Of course you can.”
“But don’t tell anyone, please.”
“haha! Who would I tell?”
“It’s just… never mind, forget it, it’s a dumb thing anyway.”
“Come on, you tell me a secret, I think of one to tell you.”
“But it’s not really something I should be telling you, it’s kind of a serious thing. it’s embarrassing, and wrong”
“Who did you kill?”
“Ok it’s not THAT serious… it has to do with you.”

At that point Adina turned to another conversation with her best friend from LA. Dania was Aunt Martha’s neighbor, she was one year younger than Adina, but they had kicked it off right from the start. Dania had seen Adina through all her ups and downs throughout the past year and a half. She had introduced her to Tony, the infamous ex, had seen the relationship blossom, had encouraged it, she had seen them at their best… and held her as she fell apart after the break up. She had encouraged her through the endless nights of school work, and listened to her as she told her mom over the phone that she was not happy and wanted out. Through thick and thin Dania would be there for her, no matter how far way or close together they were.

“Dani”
“Adi! Hey!”
“Hey!”
“What’s up?”
“I think my cousin Damien might have a crush on me.”
“What? You’re nuts.”
“Ok just… look… sometimes he would message me and we would have a quick conversation and I would get the feeling he was hitting on me.”
“How so?”
“He would say things like ‘you probably have a lot of suitors’ or ‘you don’t need to flirt, guys probably look at you and fall at your feet instantly’ …like, not even my guy friends tell me that!”
“Well I think you’re both probably nuts.”
“Know what? You’re right; I’m probably just… crazy.”

Then she turned back to her conversation with Damien.

“Ok, at least tell me where you hid the body.”

She hoped he didn’t think she was flirting.

“hahaha! Fine I’ll tell you my little secret, but promise me you won’t tell anyone.”
“Like I said…”
“Really though, no one can ever know. And I also don’t want things to get weird; don’t treat me differently, please.”
“I promise Damien.”
“When I first saw you… I liked you.”