The Winged Companion

Chapter 3

"Oh, ah, sorry! We must've parked in a bad spot. We'll just move it," the Doctor said quickly.

"Nay sorcerer. I command you and your ally to leave this contraption and come with me," the golden-haired warrior ordered, "the All Father will have a word with you."

"Brother," a slightly smaller man with black hair cautioned, "Do you really think it wise to bring this being into the castle without knowing where it came from or what it is capable of?"

"Peace Loki. We will learn where it came from soon enough. Though it should be weary of what I am capable of," Thor replied, giving the strange man a look of warning before speaking to him directly. "Come out now, and bring any that are with you. I will not ask again."

"Okay okay," the Doctor huffed, holding his hands up and stepping forward. He looked back at his winged companion and said, "Come on Rim." She cautiously copied the time lord by putting her hands up and stepping behind him. There was a murmur in the crowd when they saw her wings.

"What kind of creature is that? I haven't seen one like it in all the nine realms," Thor thundered, stepping forward. A few guards moved closer. Adnarim's wings flared out in defense.

She felt a small but sharp pain in her wing as she did so. She was almost fully healed, but not enough to fly yet.

"The creature is refusing arrest," one if the men said.

"Little man, if you cannot control your beast, then we will have have to restrain it," Thor said, almost sounding bored.

"She's not a beast," the Doctor told the large man, "She's just different." Then he turned to the small girl, gently set his hands on her thin shoulders and looked into her terrified purple eyes.

"Rim, you need to listen to me," he said gently. "Just calm down. We're going to be okay. They're just confused. A giant blue box with two aliens? Probably something they're not used to. But listen to me. I'm sure we'll talk to whoever is in charge and we'll get things sorted out. It will all be okay."

Adnarim gave him a small nod and folded her wings behind her back.

"Very well," Thor said, "Follow me." guards surrounded them on all sides and urged them forward. Looking around, Rim noticed that they were in a forest. She'd never seen one before. She admired the tall green trees as they became thinner and thinner until they opened to a grand city of silver and gold.

“Whoa,” Adnarim breathed.

“That is something isn’t it?” The Doctor asked. He was very impressed.

“Welcome, sorcerer and companion, to Asgard,” Thor said proudly. The the daze of the beautiful city, Adnarim felt uneasy. She didn’t know these men, or their intent. And she felt eyes on her. She glanced to the side in time to see some of the others turn away. She looked to her other side and behind her to see. Thor’s brother Loki watching her closely. Something like mistrust flashed in his eyes, but under it was a sense of awe and curiosity of Adnarim. She turned away, blushing slightly.

They entered the biggest, shiniest building and walked down a longer hallway. At the end of the room was a few steps leading to a sort of platform. Sitting in the middle, surrounded by guards was an older man on a gold throne . He had bushy white hair and the same kind of bushy white beard. He had an eye patch covering one eye and a sort of gold staff in his hand.

Adnarim watched him closely incase he ordered his men to attack. Men stood on either side of the approaching group, making a sort of path between them. She counted each of the men as she walked past. Two, four, six, eight, ten, twelve, fourteen, sixteen, in a row. Plus the big guy, the prince Thor, was seventeen, well, maybe he could make it more like eighteen or nineteen. Then there was Loki, he didn’t look as bad as Thor, but there was something about him that made Adnarim think he could still be a problem. Plus the five soldiers that followed them in. Twenty five men on the inside. More just outside the doors, and an army outside. If the king thought that she and the Doctor were trouble, there was no way they’d be able to get out of this. She tensed as Thor held his arm out to stop them from going any farther.

“Thor my son, who is this and what is that creature?” the man asked.

“Father, we arrested this man for nearly crushing some of the other soldiers.His giant blue contraption came flying out of a purple flash in the sky. Out stepped this sorcerer and his... companion. I thought it would be wise to bring them to you,” Thor said proudly. Like a boy saying that he caught something in his trap.

Odin leaned forward and stared at the two new people curiously.

“Who are you?” he asked, keeping a blank face.

“I am the Doctor, and this is Adnarim,” the Doctor said, stepping forward.

“Where are you from?” the king asked, still unreadable.

“That’s rather difficult to explain,” the Doctor said, scratching his head.

Just then another soldier came barging in. He ran to the front of the line and kneeled before the steps. Bowing his head he frantically said, “My lord, strange metal creatures are attacking our men. They came out of a purple flash in the sky.”

Thor turned to the Doctor fiercely and bellowed, “Are you responsible for this?”

“What? No! Only Rim and I were in the T.A.R.D.I.S!”

“The what?” Loki asked.

“The big blue box-thing,” the Doctor said, rolling his eyes. He turned back to the kneeling warrior and asked. “What did the metal thing look like?”

The man pulled out a small device, and showed a holographic image of a sort of robot-looking thing.

“No, it cant be,” the Doctor almost whispered.

“What do you know of this?” Thor demanded.

“Doctor,” Adnarim said, startled by her friends worried expression, “What is that?”

“That is my most hated enemy, one of the things responsible for killing many of my people,” the Doctor said, glaring at the image. “That is a Dalek.”