Pregnancy: Life or Death?

Almost Time

Things were finally looking up in this doomed world. I finally was able to hold my head up high and smile. I went outside and took a big deep breath and enjoyed the sunlight, ever since it happened the sun seemed to shine brighter. I reflected on what had happened in the last few months.. with getting pregnant from a one night stand unexpectedly by a man who wasn't really socialable and then getting proposed to by the very same guy. Daryl had changed for the better, he was more socialable now and smiled a little bit more, even though he wouldn't admit it. I loved this new side of him, he loved our baby with all his heart and even though when I found out that I was pregnant I thought he didn't give a shit about me or this baby but after we argued and I walked off and wanted to be by myself he came around and told me that he's sorry that he got me pregnant at this point with all the death and devastation and horror in the world.

I sat down in the sun and leaned back, it felt great even though I always had in the back of my mind that something could and possibly would end up spoiling this great moment. I rubbed my belly and I smiled and talked to my belly all of sudden I felt a hand on my shoulder and jumped and turned around to see Daryl standing there. 'Sorry to scare you' he said. 'It's fine' I said with a smile. He sat down next to me and started rubbing my belly and felt the baby move around and said 'I don't think you're going to get any much bigger. You look like you're fixing to pop' and I started laughing 'You're telling me. You're lucky you don't have to carry this weight around.' He looked at me with a depressed look and I lifted up his chin and asked him what was wrong and he started to cry and said 'I shouldn't have even tried what happened in that guard tower that night, if I had just said 'NO' or pushed you away or kept my pants on you wouldn't be in all this pain' I looked at him and said 'Don't feel bad, we both did it and hey I'm honestly happy that if I'm carrying anybody's child it's yours. Don't blame yourself, we both had a hand in creating this little human.' I lifted both his hands and put them both on my belly, 'This baby doesn't care what we did, all that matters is that we be the best parents to this little human' I told him. He wiped tears away.

Later on that day, I was holding Judith when Daryl came up to me and said he, Rick and Glenn were going out on a run. I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach, whenever he said he was going out on a run I always wondered what I would do if he didn't come back. 'Be safe' I said and he hugged me and said 'You too' and kissed me and bent down and hugged and kissed my belly and said 'Don't worry Lil Ass Kicker, Daddy's gonna come home in one piece!' I broke down and cried as soon as I saw the three of them leave. Honestly, they all needed to come back safe, because Carl and Judith need Rick and Maggie needs Glenn and me and this baby need Daryl. Maggie came over and said 'Trust me they will all come back. Daryl's a strong guy and he can handle anything that's thrown his way!' I smiled and said 'Thanks'. I knew he could handle himself, but what if a group of walkers gang up on them? What if he got stuck somewhere? What if they left him behind? ....

I sat down and played with Judith with Carl and Beth, while out on a run a few months back someone brought toys and coloring books and crayons and I was happy to just relax. I couldn't help notice that Beth kept looking up at me. I asked her if everything was okay and she said 'Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out how much longer til we have another baby to bask over like we did with Judith' and I was smiling. Beth seemed to do so great with Judith, and if I ever needed a baby sitter she'd be the person I'd go to first, she was just all around great with kids. I leaned back and felt a sharp pain in my stomach, and let out a loud cry of pain. Everybody ran over to me and asked if I was okay and what happened. I told them that I was and they wanted to make sure. Hershel came over and asked what the pain felt light and I said it felt like somewhat like a stabbing pain, but it was going away. He said I needed to pay attention, because it sounded like a contraction coming on. I was scared, all this time I wanted this baby and now the talk of contractions was scary.