Baby & the Bone: Vol. I

VAL

Listen, I’ll tell you what I know about her, but you gotta promise to leave me the fuck alone after.

I remember Lilian Paradis, and I remember that afternoon. Everyone else had already spent a week into summer camp, and that morning, Lil and her dipshit, twin brother Kirby had flown in late from Prague or Monaco or Denmark.

They’d woken us up earlier than usual that morning, probably for one of the bullshittier activities. Afterward, all the girls went swimming in the lake and came in for lunch soaking wet, dripping swamp water into the pulverized mash of salisbury steak and potatoes.

“Copenhagen,” he says. “It’s in Denmark. And you’re the klonopin guy, right? Listen, airplane anxiety always fucks with me, and you can trust I’ll pay double, triple even for what I hear you’re asking,” (I roll my eyes at this), “It’s just I don’t have the cash on me now, but I’m having my bags and money sent over in a few days…”

And he’ll go on like that for an extended period of time. In the cafeteria, Kirby had approached me, only after about 15 minutes of eyeing me with the same look Lil always had. The Paradis twins look. It’s not something you explain really, but you know exactly what I’m talkin’ about, that kind of sort of I’m-asking-you-to-fuck-me-in-the-ass look you only see in porn.

Eventually, I interrupt him, saying, “Look, I don’t sell to the babies. And besides, you’re already off your private fucking plane so -”

“That’s not the point -”

“Then what is? I already told you, I sell to the counselors, and that’s it. I couldn’t give less of a shit how much money you can pay.”

Then, something in Kirby clicks, and right on time, that brutal, wolf-like smile appears, a second look the twins would share. In that crowd of babies in bikini bottoms riding up their asses, covered thigh to toe in cellulite, Lilian’s eyes caught mine, and there it was: the difference between those two fucks.

Kirby would seem stupid, but his eyes said otherwise. Lil’s eyes, however, were dead, nothing and pure oblivion. Still, the both of them always knew more than they’d let on.