The Mermaid and the Princess

The Mermaid

In the crystal clear waters of the Caribbean, beyond the shallow reefs and forest of coral where the ocean floor suddenly dives deep into the depths of the secret watery world, existed an unknown kingdom of Aequorian. The underwater kingdom was one made of merfolk. Blessed by the gods many millions of years ago to be half man, half fish, to rule all the seven seas on the earth. It was a city of light and beauty. All manner of sea life lived among the merfolk in harmony, creating a wondrous world of color and allurement. In the center of the city, among the stone houses, shops, and temples, shone a luminescent palace made of pure sea glass encrusted with pearls and treasures unseen by humankind. But beyond the shining city with it’s populace and crowds, lied a secret cavern with a little mermaid on the inside.

Her hair was long, floating above her head and being played with by the current. It shone bright orange in the blue green waters surrounding her pale white body. She sat on her long coral tail that shined in the light of the cavern. Her face was very soft, that of a youth of sixteen. An oval face was home to a thin, long nose and set with two large eyes that of the color of the bright blue green water reflections on the cavern walls. Those orbs were looking down at her slender hands in her lap as she strung together seaweed, netting, jewels and coral into what seemed like a necklace. She plucked a sea flower from the grotto flower plant beside her and wove it into the rest of the necklace. The little mermaid hummed to herself in her soft soprano as she finished the necklace. No it was done. It was a charming little ornament that the little mermaid was proud of. She looked to the sky and saw that it was getting late so she took the necklace from her nap and swam to her favorite treasure of hers.
In the middle of her treasures such as her shining chests filled with sunken treasures, books, maps, paintings, and other little ornaments, stood a statue of a beautiful Grecian woman, draped in a thin dress with one breast exposed. The woman looked as if she had been seen by a lover, watching the beauty undress. She wore a knowing smile on her face as if seducing those who sought her gaze.. To the mermaid, she was a goddess of humans. A woman she wanted to know so badly because of that smile of hers. The necklace the mermaid made was for her statue. She placed it over the woman’s head and kissed her stone cheek.

“Bless me on this day Goddess,” The mermaid whispered to her statue. “For I am finally coming to behold your world.”

Swimming as fast as she could towards Aequorian, the mermaid couldn’t contain her excitement. Today was her sixteenth birthday, a great maker in the life of a mermaid. it was a sign that she was no longer a child, but a woman ready to begin her life. This meant that she was eligible to find a husband to settle down with and lay her eggs, but it also meant that she could visit the surface above the waters. All her life, she had always took an interest in the human world. Why in her secret cavern, she hid all sorts of human treasures she had found over the years. She had so many questions to ask but no one to answer them. It was finally her turn to see the world above, to see if her questions could be answered or if she could find new things to bring back with her. But what she was looking forward to most of all was seeing a real human. In the past her sisters have not always seen them or have wanted to, but from what she heard, they were a people to fear. But how could the humans be so bad? Her goddess seemed so nice and gentle not someone who would fear the mermaid and strike her with a spear.

Finally, the orange haired mermaid made it to the palace, her home under the waves. She wasn’t just an ordinary mermaid, but a princess of the seas. she was a youngest of her nine sisters and one older brother. All of whom had gone to the surface already and none who explored it after. As she entered into her living quarters, she was surprised to see her mother there along with all her sisters.

“Aurelia, my daughter! happy birthday!” her mother said.

“Happy birthday Aurelia!” her sisters said in unison to her. A smile stretch across her face as she swam in to hug her family.

“I’m so happy to see you all here!” Aureila said.

“How could we miss our youngest sister’s birthday.” said her sister Elleria. “It’s always been tradition to help the younger girls to dress on their birthday.”

“Yes, yes!” qwiped Cyania. “Mother, you must show her our present!” her sister said. Soon the other sister’s joined in.

“Alright now. Settle down girls. i don’t want to give it to her till after we prepare her.” To many grumbles and sighs, her sisters agreed to wait so that they may begin readying Aurelia for her journey ahead.

It was always tradition to beautify the mermaid for her appearance on the surface. her sister’s wove pearls into her long orange hair and wrapped even more pearls around the stem of her tail. Aurelia looked into the mirror and saw that she was no more a mere mergirl, but a real mermaid. A woman in her own right. The pearls in her hair shined brightly like stars in the mass of her orange hair and the adornments of jewels on her tail and waist looked regal and fine.

“Oh please mother, give out little sister her gift.” cried Rellia.

“Alright now. Close your eyes little princess.” the queen said to her daughter. Aurelia did as she was told and felt something smooth on her chest and then something different on her head. “You may open them now.” As she said so, the princess opened her eyes and saw that she was given a sea glass necklace adorned with pink pearls and a diamond set in the middle with a diadem to match.

“Oh mother, how beautiful.” She said aloud. She touched the diadem and felt like a true princess at last. “Thank you, all of you” she whispered, She was so touched by the gift that if she could cry, she would. But mermaids can not cry, so the sorrow stays within and it is said that they fill it even more than a human can. Her mother and sisters surround her, giving warm hugs and kisses to the little mermaid. At that moment, Tydus swam into the room. Aurelia’s older brother had taken over as king now that their father had past away and so he wore his regal flowing cape encrusted with jewels and more. He had also grown a beard that showed bright red in the water.

“Dear sister, happy wishes on your birthday.” Tydus said nobly. A smile opened on her face once more as the little mermaid swam to her brother and wrapped in a hug.

“Oh Tydus, mist you be so serious on such a wonderful day?” she giggle to her newly crowned brother.

“I guess not, but I do have serious news for you. I have found a husband for you.” Aurelia’s sisters swelled with pride for their little sister and started bombarding their brother with questions. But two people seemed unhappy in the room. Aurelia was not so happy with the idea that her new found freedom as an independent mermaid was being squashed by royal duty but her mother was not too pleased as well.

“Must you have told her on her birthday?” her mother said to her son.

“Why not. Now is as good a time as any. Besides, it is happy news. She is to marry Prince Lacus of Rosqua who is said to be inheriting the throne soon enough. You, my dearest little sister will be a queen.” As her sisters murmured congratulations and so on. Aurelia couldn’t help but feel a bit down on herself. To be married already? Did she not just come into womanhood but within the hour?

“I thank you for this. . .blessed news brother. I owe you much for this arrangement.” said the dutiful sister. She bowed her head to her brother. Her took his hand to her chin and lifted it to his face. He kissed her nose and smiled.

“Do not fret sister. this is a good match and good for the kingdom as well. Father would be proud to see you today.” That at least made Aurelia happier. She had been missing her father since he had moved on to the other side a year ago.
After much silence at the mention of the lost king. Aurelia’s mother perked up.

“My dearest little princess. It is time for you to go to the surface. The stars will be out soon and I know you wouldn't want to miss it.”

“Yes mother. Farewell to you all.” The mermaid said as she started swimming up, up, up towards the surface. She could hear her siblings yell their good lucks to her as she swam away. Aurelia loved the feel of the water flowing in her hair, racing to break the surface. After what seemed a lifetime, her face touched the surface and a blast of air rushed into her face. She had finally made it to the world above.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading chapter one. Please leave a comment. I would love to hear what you think so far