Sequel: Convalescence
Status: ayeee

Hell Above

XVI

Alex is sort of spaced out, head lolled back against the seat of the armchair and shoulders relaxed. Jack is still on top of him, forehead pressed against the elder’s shoulder blade. He can’t feel his ass, the hardwood underneath him managing to cause an extremely uncomfortable tightness in his spine. It sort of confuses him, how the floor is managing to feel like it’s digging into him despite the obvious fact that it’s completely flat.

Alex is too out of it to attempt to consider the logistics of how on earth the floor is this painful to sit on, he’s just going to assume it’s because after nearly 2 straight hours in the same position with Jack’s added weight on top of him, there probably isn't much blood flow to his ass anymore. He’s so stupidly tired and the way Jack’s hair is brushing against his cheek is definitely not helping keep him awake.

Alex blinks, rolling his head over to meet Jack’s eyes. The younger man is leaning up off of Alex’s chest now, giving him this blatantly amused, expectant look, one eyebrow raised. “I – uh, what?” He mumbles, cheeks flaring up in mild embarrassment at being caught not paying attention.

Jack smiles crookedly at him before repeating what Alex hadn't heard the first time. “We should go to bed.”

“Yeah, okay.” Alex says, leaning up off the armchair as Jack stands to his feet. He takes the hand Jack offers, pulling himself to his feet before following Jack to the bedroom, turning the living room light off as he passes the switch.

They settle in bed together, Jack’s arm draped over Alex’s stomach from behind, after discarding most of their clothes and closing the curtains.

-

Jack wakes up to the sound of his front door being broken down – well, not literally, but with the way the person on the other side is banging it could be a possibility. He uncurls himself from around Alex, the elder immediately shifting and pulling the covers over himself more to compensate for the sudden absence of Jack’s body heat.

Jack smiles tiredly at the man before another round of knocking sounds and he has to shuffle around to find a shirt to put on, he’ll be damned if he’s opening his door in just his boxers.

He swings open his front door a few sluggish minutes later to find Vinny, all bright eyes and wide grin, clad in some sort of ridiculous Aztec print v-neck and a pair of lime green cut-offs. Jack groans, making to close the door in the other man’s face. Vinny is quick to jam his foot in just in time, effectively stopping Jack’s intentions in their tracks.

Jack steps back, releasing his grip on the door and allowing Vinny to step fully into the apartment.

He shoots the shorter man the most unimpressed look he can muster, then slinks off to the kitchen, Vinny following close behind.

“Why are you here?” He questions, tone anything but hospitable as he hits the power button on the coffee maker. He turns around to find Vinny at the kitchen table, that stupid amused grin on his face.

“Don’t be an ass, Jack-o.” Vinny declares, pointing a finger at said man from his spot across the kitchen.

Jack just shoots the man another look, rummaging around in the cabinets until he produces a cup and then pours himself some coffee. He doesn't bother to offer Vinny any, the Italian man is too excited to need any anyways.

He sits down adjacent to Vinny, leaning in a tired stupor over his coffee cup as he waits for it to cool down enough to drink it. Vinny begins drumming his fingers on the edge of the table, causing Jack to groan again. The buzz cut man chuckles, not ceasing in his drumming as he inquires, “Is Xander home?”

Jack nods, smiling fondly despite his annoyance as he replies, “He’s sleeping.”

Vinny raises an eyebrow at him. “How are you two now?”

Jack clears his throat, leaning forward onto his forearms a bit more. “We’re good. Really good.” He says, looking up to meet the other man’s eyes.

“Yeah?”

“We, uh, kinda had this huge blowout last night.” Vinny gives him this expectant look, so Jack elaborates. “He’d been avoiding me for weeks, and I couldn't take it anymore. I didn't really mean to pick a fight but, it happened. He ran out, I went out looking for him. I cried a lot, came home, he was here, we kissed and made up. Literally.”

“Did you tell him?” The Italian asks, fingers having stalled against the tabletop once Jack had launched into his recount of the night before.

Jack chews on his lip for a moment before responding. “He told me he likes me, as more than a friend. I told him I felt the same.” He shrugs.

Vinny sighs, loud and overdramatic, from beside him. “It’s a start.”

There’s a few minutes of quiet before Vinny changes the subject. “So, I came to ask if you and Xander would wanna go somewhere with me later.”

Jack rolls his eyes, about to respond, but a voice from the entryway beats him to it.

“Where are we going?” Alex asks, tone light and curious and Jack can’t fathom how the elder is so awake already. He watches the blonde as he steps around the island, getting a bowl and spoon out and then opening up the cabinet to pull out a box of fruity pebbles.

“You could have just called and asked.” Jack grumbles, returning his gaze to the man beside him and pouting.

He hears Alex chuckle from across the room, causing Jack to smile down at his coffee as Vinny replies, “Yeah, well maybe I wanted to see my two favorite boys. Sorry, Jack-o, if that’s such an issue. Next time I’ll be sure to inform you in advance before –”

“Just get to the point, Vin.” Jack cuts him off, watching as Alex pours milk onto his cereal.

Vinny hums, clasping his hands together on top of the table as Alex makes his way over, taking the free seat on Jack’s left side and looking up at Vinny expectantly as he begins eating. Jack thinks it’s strange they only ever actually use this table when Vinny comes over. He and Alex usually just eat on the couch, or in bed, or sitting on top of the counters – basically anywhere that isn't the dining table.

“There’s this party tonight, well, more of a promotion dinner, you know the deal.” He says, flicking his eyes over to Jack before returning his attention to Alex. “And, I was wondering if you and Mr. Stick-up-his-ass here would wanna go.”

Alex laughs, grin spreading across his lips at Vinny’s words. Jack rolls his eyes again before asking, “What do we have to wear?”

“It’s semi-causal, so not too fancy. I’d say just a dress for you, low cut obviously and maybe a nice matching button down for Xander.” Vinny smirks at the dark haired man next to him. Alex snorts, nearly spitting out the milk and cereal he’d been chewing.

A thought occurs to Jack then. “Will my dad be there?” He voices, to which Vinny nods. “Will your dad be there?” and Vinny nods again.

“So are you in?” The Italian asks, tone expectant.

Jack looks over to Alex in question, but the man is staring at his cereal, bottom lip tugged in between his teeth and grip on his spoon too tight to be relaxed. Jack doesn't hesitate when he answers, “No.”

He sees Alex visibly relax back into his chair, eyes flicking up to meet Jack’s and the younger can see the relief swimming in them. Anywhere that Jack’s father is concerned is no place for Alex to be.

Vinny sighs, an actual un-dramatized sound this time. Jack looks over to see the Italian pouting and rolls his eyes for a third time. “But who am I supposed to go with?”

“Uh, what ever happened to that girl you were hitting on a few months ago?” Jack asks, drinking the last of his coffee.

At his words, Vinny perks up, cheering “Ah, Gianna! Yes!” before scooting his chair pack, pulling his phone out and scampering from the room.

“You okay?” Jack asks, looking to Alex as soon as Vinny is out of sight.

Alex meets his eyes and nods, “Yeah, I’m okay.” A smile curves at his lips as he says, “Really good actually, I’m happy. You?”

Jack nods, “Happy. Tired.” He smiles at Alex.

“How much sleep did you get?” The blonde asks, handing Jack his empty bowl and spoon as Jack gets up and heads to the sink, setting the dishes down.

“Like –” Jack pauses, thinking as he rubs at his eyes, leant back against the counter by the sink and facing Alex. He glances at the clock on the stove, reading half past 11 before finishing, “4, on and off.”

“Hey, how’s your hand?” Jack asks, moving to sit back down.

Alex offers the hand in question out to him, watching as Jack takes it and looks it over gently. “Does it hurt?”

Alex shakes his head, “It did last night. I think its fine now, just a little sore.”

Jack lets the blonde’s hand go, about to speak again, but then Vinny reenters, all happy smiles and bright eyes once again.

“Woo! So Gianna was skeptical at first, saying she’s never been to any snobby business parties before.” Alex and Jack both laugh at this, but Vinny just continues as if he hadn't been interrupted. “But I managed to convince her, said I’d make it up to her later with some cheesy romantic date or something. Maybe I’ll buy her chocolates, or shoes. Girls like those right?”

Jack raises an eyebrow, “I don’t know Vinny, shouldn't you?” He tilts his head towards Vinny’s neon pants.

“Are you seriously inferring that I’m gay, Jackary. Don’t even get me started with you two.” Vinny chides, making some sort of awkward combined wave and point gesture at Jack and Alex.

Alex blushes and Jack snorts, waving a dismissing hand towards his friend.

“Whatever, I have a date to prepare for, so I’m gonna head out.” He ruffles Jack’s hair, messing it up more than it already was, and then bends down and hugs Alex, who grins in response.

“It better not be an entire month before I hear from either of you again, or I’ll start making these pop-ins a regular thing!” He shouts as he walks out of the kitchen. Jack hears the front door open as Vinny calls “Maybe we could start having weekly brunches!” And then the door closes after the departing Italian.
♠ ♠ ♠
vinny is my favorite character ideK

this is just 1790 words of complete fillers

yur welcome xx