Sequel: Convalescence
Status: ayeee

Hell Above

XVII

Alex looks up when a pair of black vans enter his line of sight, lifting his gaze from the phone in his lap to the man standing above him. It’s a Thursday, nearing 6 o’clock at night, and the blonde man has been working for the better part of the day while Jack helped Vinny at the cafe. He’s sat Indian style on the hallway carpet outside the door to Jack’s apartment, has been for the better part of the last hour.

“Did I lock you out?” Is the first thing Jack says, his tone apologetic as he offers a hand down to the man on the floor.

Alex shakes his head, corners of his lips turning down, despite the easy way he says, “Your dad kicked me out.” He reaches up and takes Jack’s outstretched hand, bringing his legs up into a bent position before pulling himself up off the ground to stand in front of the younger.

He slips his phone into his back pocket, looking up to meet Jack’s eyes. “My dad’s here?” Jack asks, his happy mood faltering immediately. He hasn't seen his father in months, and isn't really in the mood.

“I’d been home maybe ten minutes, and he showed up, asked where you were, and then made me leave.” Alex shrugs like it’s no big deal, which just serves to further irritate Jack. Alex shouldn't have to leave his own home simply to please Jack’s father. Jack’s dad doesn't have any say over Jack’s home, and the simple fact that his father had the audacity to kick Alex out pisses Jack off.

He takes Alex’s hand, much to the blonde’s surprise, and then opens the door, pulling the elder into the apartment after him. Mr. Barakat is seated on the couch, well dressed and straight-faced as usual. He looks up when the pair enter, giving Jack a stern look that the younger completely ignores. Jack leads Alex past his dad, who shoots the blonde an extremely disapproving look, but remains otherwise silent.

When they reach the bedroom, Jack drops Alex’s hand, shuts the bedroom door a little too harshly and then spins back around to face Alex, who meets his glare, eyebrows raised.
“Just stay in here, alright? I have to go see what he wants.” He steps forward to kiss Alex and the elder can feel the irritation in the other boy’s movements. Alex simply nods in response, watching as Jack heads back into the living room to deal with his father, making sure to close the bedroom door behind him.

-

“You want something to drink?” Jack asks from over by the fridge, back turned on his father, who’s sat at the kitchen table. He doesn't get a response, so he twists around to face his dad, raising an eyebrow. The older Barakat simply shakes his head, watching Jack as the younger comes over and sits down across from his father.

“Why are you here?” He notes the obvious irritation in his tone, considers toning it down a bit because he doesn't have any footing when it comes to being a good son, but still, it’s not like the man in front of him is an award winning father either.

The older Barakat straightens in his seat. “You let that boy stay here alone, don’t you think that’s not too wise?” His father asks, lips turning down.

“He’s not a thief, dad.” Is all Jack says, refusing to take his father’s bait. He needs to find out what his father wants and then make him leave, plain and simple.

“It wouldn't surprise me. That scum is already low enough, I don’t see how you can trust him.”

Jack stands abruptly, the chair he’d been seated on scraping back against the tile harshly. “Don’t you dare say things like that about Alex. If you only came here to insult my friends and my choices, then you can leave. I don’t know why you’re here or what you’re trying to prove, but I’m not going to put up with it. This is my home and whether you like it or not, this is Alex’s home as well.” He grips the table’s edge, leaning his weight forward and glaring at the man in front of him.

The impassive look on the older Barakat’s face drops, brief astonishment flashing across his features before he composes himself again. Jack feels triumphant momentarily, clearly having shocked his father by defending Alex like that. This is something that the pair usually tip toe around, always on the edge of yelling due to their widely contrasting opinions, but never actually breaching the argument, until now.

Jack isn't sure why now is any different. If he’s standing up to his father because the older Barakat provoked him, or if the past few months events have changed things in his mind frame. Either way, he feels some satisfaction in his outburst.

The older Barakat rises to his feet slowly, deliberately taking his time in order to further irritate his son. The only reason he’d stopped by, aside from not having seen his son in some time, was to ask why Jack hadn't attended the promotional party the week before. He suspects it had something to do with Alex anyways.

“I’m not saying anything that you don’t already know, Jack.”

Jack straightens up, shooting his father a venomous glare. Tone final and fierce as he spits out, “Leave.”

His father doesn't object.
♠ ♠ ♠
I kind of hate this but I felt like i needed to update and ugh

whatever i promise I'll make up for it next chapter xx