‹ Prequel: Remember Me
Status: The SEQUEL IS HERE! (>•.•)>

Going to Pasalacqua

America, America Don't You Cry

We sat in the coffee shop downtown, in a booth right next to a huge glass window. We watched the busy city life outside silently.

“We're going to do something special today.” Billie declared suddenly.

I looked up at him in surprise. “What?”

“Oh come on Adeline! Let's visit some of our past adventures.” he said, closing subject by crossing his arms tightly across his chest. A smartass smirk in place on his face.

“If you mean jumping off a moving train and spraining my ankle, I'll pass.” I said wearily.

He laughed and shook his head “No, Uh actually I that was going to be on the agenda, but since your against it, I've got something else in mind.”

“I swear if it's getting lost in the forest again, then no.” I warned him.

He laughed “Nope, you'll see...”

And that's what I fretted the most about him, the secrecy.

***

I could have attacked him right then, when we got back to the bar, our stuff had been packed up and we were ready to relocate to a hotel closer to tonight's show. I still wasn't thrilled about seeing Leah again. 

But in mine and Billie's bedroom, shared with the others, Larry, Tré and Mike. Draped over the the bottom bedpost was the beautiful blue dress, with the vintage Victorian lace up corset bodice, the lacy skirt the hinted at a earlier origin. And the punk look it had to it, almost a charm. It had become lost many months ago in my overstocked closet at Billie's house.

It was here, and that hinted to solenoid he had planned in the early evening before the show, or even after. I smiled to myself, 

He walked into the bedroom, catching my eye with a sly grin.

“Get dressed in your Chucks and shorts, we're going to Oakland city park.”

The park me and him had swung at night almost a year ago. The night Brad and Ollie had their blow out and also the night I'd gotten my memory back and knew who was responsible for my almost death.

I grinned and stood on my tippy toes and pecked him, picking up my armload of casual clothes off the bed and dashing to the bathroom to change.

When I came out, in hysterics, which was stupid for me. Because I was never nervous around him. I hadn't been since the first day I'd met him.

I grabbed his hand and he towed me out of the hotel room and we skipped merrily down the streets toward the park. It was sunny out, no clouds and the sky so blue. It looked the same as it had the night we were here, though it looked different in the afternoon light.

We crossed the grass, which was the sam shade of emeralds as it had been last time. The trees were thick around the park. They almost arched around the rusty little swingset. We went straight towards the swings, like we had last time. I sat on the left swing, he sat on the right. He twined hos hand into mine and we rocked back and fourth at a slow, thoughtful pace. The chains squealed with every movement.

I looked up at the sky, and then the thick leafs above us. I studied the bark on the surrounding trees and listened to the quiet crunch of the pebbles under my Chucks as I kicked at them.

“Remember last time we were here?...” Billie asked thoughtfully.
I glanced up at him, he was watching two little kids traverse the jungle gym twenty feet away.

“Yeah... That was one hell of a night. I'll never forget it, couldn't even if I got bashed over the head and got amnesia again.” I smirked at him “I remember the most clearly, the sky... How bright the stars were. And everything was alive under the street lamps. And we felt so special because we were out after curfew and swinging in the dark.” I bit my lip and stared down at the ground. As good of a night as that was, it was also horrifying to me... Because I almost lost everyone I loved.

“Yes.” he agreed “It was a beautiful night... Fucking cold though.” he complained with a low chuckle. I laughed along with him.

“I wrote my first real song that night. The lyrics came from somewhere deep. I'd written silly little tunes and stuff but never anything meaningful before it. And I guess that one little song is what gave me that extra push to keep going with my music.”

“I saw you standing alone,” I sang, smirking up at him. He rolled his eyes and sped up his swinging.

“With a sad look on your face.”

“You call him on the phone.” I sung that line like a opera singer.

He laughed “Looks like he left you without a trace.”

“Tears falling out of your eyes...”

“He's living in a disguise.”

“You've been feeling bad for so long.”

“You wonder if it's right of wrong.”

“Why do you want him?” I sang
“Why do you want him?” he sang back. Leaning across the chains.
“Why do you want him?”

“Now many days have gone by, and you still just sit there and cry.” I murmured.

“You're feeling bad for yourself. His memory will always dwell.”

“You're so obsessed with his love,”

“That's why push came to shove.”

“You've been feeling bad for so long, you wonder if it's right or wrong...”

“Why do you want him?...” I whispered. Closing the distance between us in a kiss.

He beamed proudly. A little Cheshire than nessicary

“Gross!” exclaimed one of the little kids on the jungle gym.

“OH GO HUG A TREE!” Billie yelled at them.

They gave each other a scared expression and tooh off running with tears streaking their cheeks, screaming at the top of their lungs “MOM!”

Billie just laughed and launched himself back into our little lovey dovey bubble again.

“You're really pretty, ya know that right?” he asked cheekily.

I smirked “You know you're really blind, right?”

He snorted and rolled his eyes “Oh wow Adie, you're too sweet.” he said sarcastically.

“I know.” I beamed.

“HEY YOU!”

Both me and Billie glanced up.
A woman with two cowering kids behind her was stomping in our direction.

“Oh shit...” Billie muttered. Sitting up a little straighter, bracing himself for the lecture.

“Hey Armstrong, don't you have something better to be doing than terrorizing my kids?” she snipped straight off. No “Hello!” or a “How are you?” nope, jump straight to the important crap.

Billie cleared his throat and put on his best sincere face “I am terribly sorry Mrs. Anderson.”

She narrowed her eyes at him “Go on, get out of here before I call the cops!”

Billie stood up “But it's a public place!” he whined.

She shot him a look that got him yanking my hand, leading me out of the park in ten seconds flat.

“What was all of that?” I hissed when we were out of her hearing range.

“She used to be my English teacher, wasn't too fond of me to begin with, especially not after dropping out. To this day she still tries to get me in trouble every chance she gets.” he rolled his eyes.

“But you were terrorizing her kids!” I exclaimed as we walked up the sidewalk.

“They were terrorizing me!” he defended.

Then he started laughing evilly.

“What?” I demanded.

“I never told her I wouldn't do it again.” he snickered.

My eyes widened “You wouldn't...”

He nodded up and down, face turning red trying to supress laughter “Oh I would, best two out of three?”

“Ugh you are so obnoxious...” I said, exasperated.

He laughed and nodded.

***

We talked the whole way back, him escorting me back to the hotel. When we got to our room, it was empty. Tré was probably out haunting the hallways with his horrible singing, and Mike was probably out puffing a cigarette while Larry was most likely outside on the pay phone talking to Ollie.

Billie smiled sneakily before grabbing my dress and shoving it into my arms, pushing me backwards and holding the bathroom handle so I couldn't get out.

“I warned you we would be reaching old adventures!” he yelled through the door, and I remembered the last time he had down that.

Flashback
‘Billie shoved me into the bathroom and held the handle on the outside so I couldn't get out while he forced me to take an shower so he could take me into town today to look for an past. 
I banged on the door. “I can't take an shower with no clean clothes to change into!” I called.
There was an silent pause outside the door. Then Billie told Mike to take over holding the door while he went and chose something spiffy from my room. I glared at the wooden door when it suddenly cracked open. A pair of jeans and an grey t shirt flew in and the door snapped shut sharply again. Followed by Mike and Billie's mocking laughter on the outside. I pouted and took my shower. Announcing when I got out that I was done. The door opened an crack to be sure that my hair was wet.
Then they willingly opened the door and gestured for me to walk out.
“I would have taken one willingly y'know.” I complained walking past then toward my room. Scrubbing the water out of my hair with an towel as I went. Shutting the door quietly behind me. I hadn't really gotten an good look at whatever it was Billie threw at me to wear. I looked at my reflection in the long mirror. It was an dark grey off shoulder AC/DC shirt with black leather jeans. I pulled on the dirty black hightops and brushed my hair. It has grown out a bit in the last two weeks. Giving me something to actually brush. It was almost shoulder length but still black and layered looking as it had been during my run from the hospital. I shuttered away from that memory. Wanting nothing more than to just forget that part of my life for an bit. But then I can't, cause that's the day I met Billie. And without him, I don't know what I'd do.’

I loved the dress just as much as I had the first time I'd worn it, it felt special, even if it was just in reality a clump of fabric and thread, it was amazing.
I brushed through my hair again nervously, before sighing in exasperation and knitting up my hair into a messy bun with s hairtie.
When I came out of the bathroom, Billie looked hardly the same, his hair, which was blond and short now, since the breakup incident when he had dark dreadlocks, was all smoothed out. He wasn't all suit and tie though, he wore black skinny jeans and a untitled white button down shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and a red tie. I didnt question him though, I gave him a wary look and I smirked at him and he offered me his arm, I twined mine with his and we walked out the  door.

***

We passed Mike outside the door, he called goodbye to us as we walked up the street. 

It was a little early to be going out for dinner. In fact, it was only three. But I didn't question his reasoning and I followed along with him.

He paused when we had walked a few blocks, pulling open a door I hadn't noticed and slipping inside. 

In side it was far larger than it could ever possibly look outside, the ceiling was sheer glass, a huge dance floor with a grouping of little lantern lit tables around it.

The little restaurant reminded me of Rod's Hickory Pit, where Ollie worked. It had a oceany charm about it. With all the antiques from boats and ships hanging on the walls, the fish net webbing hanging in a canopy above the dance floor with Christmas lights woven through it. And the thing that caught my attention the most, was the east wall... It was entirely glass, not just glass though... But a huge fish tank. Natural coral reefs twisting up on the other side of the glass with schools of fish swimming past the tables. I could see clown fish, sting rays, and the anemones, swaying slightly.

I was gaping, and like a utter moron, Billie noticed it and led me away from the underwater display. To the dance floor, The music was classical, piano, violin. And he had a slightly chaotic look in his eyes from the thought of having to endure this taste of music. But he shook his head and grabbed my hands and we spun in little circles in the middle of the floor. I was laugjing and enjoying it too much. Any sophisticated woman would keep a straight face as she danced. Not me... Obviously not me...

It was early, the small amount of people actually occupying the restaurant were all gawking. It felt comfortable though, the pointless spinning in the middle of the dance floor that signaled to our one year anniversary. This is the only anniversary we have ever celebrated, we didn't celebrate the six months or two weeks mark, we waded through them to get to now.

Billie was grinning now, our dancing speed picked up and we spun in wide circles, the skirt of my dress flaring out into waves of blue lace. My chucks spinning around under me, moving me with the rhythm of Billie's quick, classical dance.

We were laughing too much to actually concentrate on the dancing anymore. We hobbled drunkenly towards the bar for a glass of water. Billie once again faced with the problem of only being twenty, he pouted and sipped his water while I laughed at him.

“So what're you going to collage for again?”
He asked after a bit.

I looked up from tracing the worn wood countertop “Music engineering.” I stated like it was second nature.

He nodded and smiled “Cool, Larry was looking for a intern for Lookout. Maybe you'll fit the part, he's looking for someone with a passion for music and is willing to critique any demos that come through the mail from hopeful artists.” 

I nodded, already ecstatic about the possibility of working that closely to Billie.
It'd be cool to get some collage credit as well doing the job. Apply to a collage somewhere close by, and finish up my studies hopefully quickly.

“Hell, it'll be awesome!” I hugged him and for the first time since running into Leah last night. I was excited for something. 

We ate dinner, danced a bit more and then talked about our fondest memories in our relationship. I told him mine was also my weakest memory because I was so heavy with the hospital drugs. Mine was when we first met. His was when we'd first gone to his meadow. I nodded in agreement and took a drink of water. He grabbe my hand and pulled me away from the bar and towards the massive fish tank. We sat down at a table just below the glass. Just to watch the fish swim about.
We ate dinner and by four-thirty, we had to be heading back. Billie tapped his fingers rythymatically on the tabletop while we waited for the bill.

The night was moving faster then I'd like it too, I'd have liked it better to have more time to talk and think, but before I knew it, Billie was declaring it time to go back to the hotel and get ready for the birthday party they play tonight. And once again, I was dreading it.

Billie saw the time and went into one of his 'shit fits'. We hurried down the familiar sidewalk, I hiked up my skirt so I wouldn't trip on it, and oddly the gesture reminded me of being a princess. We made it back with only minutes to spare. I changed out of my dress into a white t-shirt and shorts. We hurried outside to where Mike was in the drivers seat, honking his van's horn obnoxiously.

“Get in!” he yelled over a blaring Ramones CD.

We did as we were told, hopping into the backseat, Mike stomping on the gas before we had even slid the door closed. Wind blew in the windows at dangerous speeds until we jerked to a halt in front of a big fancy white house I the nice side of Oakland.
We all stared up at in in awe for 5.2 seconds, then we were out. Hustling and working together to carry amps, guitars and cables to the backyard. We instantly busied Tré with assembling his drum kit in the cement patio in back.

“Go go go! Those go in back! Billie take these! Tré don't touch that! Mike take this cable to so and so.” Larry yelled out orders while shoving a two wheeler up the driveway into the gate to the backyard. Everyone had a job, and we were done in five minutes time. Standing before our assembled stage huffing and puffing for air. It was, as always a hot and humid day in California.

Me and Billie sat down at one of the tables drinking lemonade. 

“I mean seriously, who doesn't like that song!?” Billie demanded. Talking like a valley girl.

I was laughing so hard “Everyone likes that song.” I laughed.

“Yeah but.” he said, snapping the T on the end “It's one thing to like it, a complete other to love it, yeesh.” he said shaking his head and drinking his lemonade

“You are all kinds of weird.” I said warily.

“I know I know.” he smirked.

I peeked over his shoulder when the backyard gate opened and a girl walked in. The blond hair and makeup clad eyes. Oh shit here we go...

I tried to avoid her gaze, hoping if I could do that, she wouldn't notice me or Billie. But that tactic could only work so long.

“Ooh Billie you're here!” she squealed. Running over in heels to hug him. I shot him a look and he made the hug brief. I was somewhat satisfied until she sat down across from him and launched into a conversation about some new songs she is writing for her EP. 

“Oh yeah, I write really dark music. I write my own lyrics, did you know that Billie-Willie? I write them all myself. Like they are so good, people should be jealous of me.” she laughed while drinking her beer and talking about herself self-indulgently.

Billie nodded every so often politely to her questions. But then she finally caught his attention when she started talking about his band.

“So where did your band name come from?” she asked. Leaning across the picnic table a little father than necessary. 

“Um actually it is a referral to smoking marijuana all day, therefor a Green Day.” he stated. Laughing nervously and glancing down sideways at me. Apparently he didn't want me around to listen to his pot talk. 

I rolled my ryes and got up in a huff “I'm getting a drink.” I called over my shoulder. Walking away and putting as much distance between me and them ad the tiny backyard would allow. It was sickening watching them. Leah knew so much more about the classic rock/punk scene than I could ever dream too. Everything I've learned about the music I've learned from Billie and my friends at Gilman. So the fact that she was enthusing over small town punk bands I'd never heard of before, it kind of knocked me down a few pegs. So I glared at them from across the backyard. Sipping my lemonade ruefully.

“Wassap!” Tré shrieked gleefully in my ear.

“Ow!” I protested, holding my ear. “What the hell is wrong with you!?”

He shrugged “I don't know. I'm special.” he nodded proudly. I rose a eyebrow questioning his sanity.

“So I see you are plotting your revenge.” he simply stated. I was surprised and I began to wonder how long he had been watching me.

“Revenge? On who?” I asked, laughing nervously and supping at my lemonade loudly.

Tré rolled his eyes suggestively “Leah Sterling, duh”

I pursed my lips and nodded slowly. Looking down at my shoes. I wasn't exactly thrilled about having to discuss relationship issues with Tré. Mostly because he isn't the most trust worthy. 
I gave him a long look before sighing in defeat. 

“Yeah.”

He beamed and clapped his hands happily “Oh joy! Can I help?”

“Uh... Tré, I don't know...” I scratched the back of my neck nervously. A trait I'd picked up from Billie. 

“Please? Come on Adeline! I won't fuck it up, plus if Billie does find out, you can blame it on me.” he assured me with a puppy-dog face.

I thought about it for a moment before agreeing. “Ok ok Tré, here's what we're going to do...”
♠ ♠ ♠
Much better! I had a idea, which I thought was pretty great at the time, but as I proceeded work on the chapters, I was losing interest because the things Adeline was doing were just things she'd never do, so I have decided on another route for this story. I'm trying to tighten it up with Remember Me a little more, which means I'd like less fights, breaking up and overall tears spilt in this story. Lemme know if I start to add too much of that, critiquing definatelu helps and improves both my writing and plots. Thank you all who have commented and been patient with my pokey writing ;)