West Coast

Let's Swim to the Moon

The sun gently kissed Lacey's cheeks as she rolled onto her side, struggling to keep sleeping. She hadn't gone to bed until the early hours of the morning. She ended up talking to Peter and Cassidy so many things, that now, she can't even remember. And though she didn't get much sleep, she was happy to know that her roommates were such great people. In New York, there weren't many people that followed her mindset, there weren't many people that understood how her mind even worked, so it was always hard to connect with people. The only exception she could think of was Sam, who managed to leave a couple messages on Lacey's phone that she hadn't noticed until now. She rolled around again and smiled at the sun this time. It was 9 in the morning and Lacey couldn't remember the last time she woke up this early, but she followed her nose to the kitchen. She expected to see Maggie cooking waffles and eggs, but it was Cassidy in front of her with American flag boxers on.

"Smells good." Lacey complemented, causing Cassidy to turn around from the eggs in the pan.

"Morning Lace, how was your first night?" Cassidy was again looking at his work. Turns out, this was Cassidy's passion. Everyone in the house had their passions, Lacey was realizing.

"It was real great, it really was." Lacey smiled, walking next to Cassidy as he cooked each egg to perfection, seasoning them delicately, biting his lip in concentration. "Where's everyone else this morning?"

Cassidy laughed to himself and placed a couple eggs on a plate, opened the waffle maker and placed a waffle next to the eggs. Handing the full plate to Lacey he answered, "Well, Mama's still sound asleep, probably will be until 2:30." And Lacey thought she slept in late. "Peter went to work. Miles and Suzie went to the beach earlier this morning. I was thinking about going down myself after breakfast if you want to join me."

Lacey had been dreaming about the California beaches long before she decided to take this trip so she excitedly agreed.

"Where's Peter work?" Lacey asked as Cassidy joined her at the rickety table to eat. Digging in, Lacey found that it was no surprise Cassidy loved to cook, he was incredible at it.

"He's drives a taxi. He's actually the reason so many people have found this place. He's been there a while, so he's convinced a lot of the drivers to take the misfits here." Cassidy explained.

"I guess I should thank him, then. I don't know where I'd be if I didn't find this place." Lacey said. "You don't work?"

Cassidy finished chewing and said, "No, I work. I'm a cook at this bitchin' little bar on the strip called Blue Eyes. You're talking to a head chef."

"Well, then!" Lacey said, jokingly. "I need to find a fuckin' job."

"You still want to sing?" Cassidy asked.

"I'd like to if it makes me money," Lacey laughed.

"I think I know a place." Cassidy smiled smugly at her and bite the corner of a waffle off his fork.

"Truly? Where?" Lacey asked him.

"I'll take you there tonight." Cassidy answered, making it clear he wasn't going to just tell her.

Lacey smiled as she finished up what was on her plate eagerly. She went to clean it but Cassidy took it from her and told her to get ready for the beach while he cleaned up.

/////

Holding her sandals in her hands, Lacey lit a cigarette as she and Cassidy walked on the white California sand. The two of them were both wearing white and red striped bathing suits, which caused Suzie and Miles to give them shit about being twins when they caught up to them on the beach. Neither of them minded, though. Out of everyone in Tangie Town, Lacey felt closest to Cassidy. She had never had a brother, but he was definitely the closest she had come.

Miles was reading on a towel through his sunglasses and Suzie was building a sandcastle with soaking wet hand, squishing it through her fingers. Cassidy set up a couple chairs and sat down, trying to figure out the radio they brought with them and Lacey just laid a towel out. The conversation between the four of them faded away as they got into their own little worlds. Lacey could not get over how her life was starting to look.

Though none of them knew how long they had been there, they knew it must've been a while when they heard Maggie bounding towards the group with huge sunglasses on and sheer maxi dress. She sure was stylish for an old gal.

"Darlings!" She hollered to them and hey greeted her with smiles. The sun was starting to go down and the wind had picked up, but none of them were in a hurry to leave. Maggie took up the extra lounge chair that Cassidy had brought for her and settled in.

/////

The beach hadn't been very crowded that day, and now that the sun had set, the five of them were practically the only ones left, aside from a few lovers and dog walkers. Cassidy had just come bounding from the ocean, dripping wet. When he reached camp, he shoot the water off, hitting Lacey and Maggie and making his hair stand up. Miles and Suzie had left a little while ago for a bite to eat and they were going to meet everyone back at the house after.

"Hey!" Lacey exclaimed with a shock as the cold water hit her skin. Maggie just laughed at Cassidy and dried herself off.

Lacey got up after she was dry and started getting her high-waisted shorts on.

"You goin' somewhere or something?" Cassidy asked with a laugh in his voice.

Lacey mocked his face as she pulled her shirt on over her head.

"Hey! Want to go see the home of your future employment" Cassidy asked, remembering their conversation that morning. Maggie looked questioningly at him. "Yeah, Ma, I'm getting Lacey a job singing!" Maggie smiled at his excitement and nodded in approval.

"I'll see you kitties back home then, let me know how it goes." Maggie said leaning her head on the back of her chair as if the sun was still shining on her face.

/////

Walking back up the beach, Lacey looked around at the people who were still there. She saw two men trying to make small talk as their dogs completely sniffed each other out. She saw an older man and woman, connected at the elbow and dipping their toes in the water. She saw a group of guys getting into some sort of physical fight. She wondered what it could be about and tried to get a better look, but they were off in the distance. She did see, however, a man with a leather jacket flying his fist right in the mouth of some towheaded man. Lacey was surprised how much damage he had actually done as rubies dripped like a faucet from the blond's mouth. However, Lacey found herself trailing behind and running to catch up with Cassidy.

Walking down the strip was surreal for Lacey as well. It was an icon, a whole story within itself and Lacey couldn't help but try and see everything she could. She walked right into Cassidy's back as he stopped walking, she came back to her senses. Cassidy just laughed at her child-like amusement and opened the big, blue door for Lacey to enter.

Inside, was a round bar full of people and bustling waiters and waitresses. The walls were a deep navy blue, like the sky, and there were paintings hung around the bar, all monochromatic blue. This must have been Blue Eyes. There was stage directly across from the doorway and Lacey wanted to run up and take it for a test drive right then and there, but she stayed behind Cassidy as he walked up to one of the tables where a man in a suit sat.

Cassidy tapped the man on the shoulder and he turned around and shook Cassidy's hand warmly with both hands. Though the man seemed very business-like, Lacey could see some tenderness behind his eyes, reminding her of her own old man. She let the two men talk until Cassidy pulled her in and introduced her. The man kissed the back of her hand and told her his name was Robert De Luca. Lacey smiled but felt a little awkward about the whole situation. She was never good at interviews or anything. Luckily, Cassidy was there to explain everything, how she was from Brooklyn and had a job as a blues singer. Mr. De Luca seemed a little sceptical, but hearing she was from Brooklyn warmed him up to her a bit, as a native of Staten Island himself.

"Well, doll, I'm not sure we're looking for singers right now." Mr. De Luca said as if he was upset with himself. Lacey was more disappointed than she thought she would be, but she tried to understand.

"Mr. De Luca, sir, you don't understand the amount of talent this girl has." Cassidy said, quite confidently, arguing his case. "Let her sing for you, sir, you'll fall in love. She's otherworldly!" Cassidy was getting very physical with his speech, waving his arms all over the place, looking from Mr. De Luca up to the ceiling and everywhere else. Lacey knew he was exaggerating and it made her a little worried, but she didn't stop him.

Mr. De Luca seemed to be seriously considering it, but still seemed doubtful. But he trusted Cassidy. Cassidy had been working for him since he was fourteen years old and he was just a bus boy. He shouldn't have been, since he wasn't technically old enough to be working as much as he did, but De Luca couldn't get rid of him. If he hadn't given Cassidy a job, he would've just shown up and started working anyway, Blue Eyes also wouldn't have nearly as many good food reviews and awards as it did, not without Cassidy.

Mr. De Luca's tumbler was soon emptied of it's contents as he said, "Okay. Cassidy, get me some more scotch and I'll give her a listen."
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Compliments? Critiques?