Status: Completed

It Wasn't Meant to Be Like This.

Chapter One

He stormed away from the house, a place he should have been able to call home, not a place where he no longer felt wanted or safe. His slow, heavy footsteps pounded through the dark, silent night. The raindrops on the path glistened under the dull orange glow of the street light. He began to slow his steps. Where was he going? Nowhere in particular. He didn't really want to be out in such dark, dismal weather. But he needed to be out of that house... away from them and somewhere safe.

“They're supposed to be my fucking FAMILY, so why can't they just accept that I'm not the same anymore? I wish I could get away from them for good,” he muttered aloud, an angry and bitter tone to his voice.

“Maybe I could help ya with that?” said a soft, seductive voice, causing him to shiver as he felt the cold breath on his neck.

“You're the reason we're in this mess,” he said sarcastically, anger and rage building inside him.

If his heart was still able to beat, he was sure it would've stopped that split second as he turned to face the voice. His eyes gazed over the and stood before him; he watched as his messy brown hair blew in the wind.

“Just back off, Ben,” he said, in a surprisingly soft tone.

The man known as Ben chuckled lightly, as if this was all just a game to him.

“Oh Danny, do you really want me to leave ya alone? When we both have no real idea what's going on, or how to survive? Would ya really rather go through this alone?” he said, in what the man known as Danny suspected to be a fake sympathetic voice.

Danny looked away briefly, then back at him. He looked into his deep brown eyes; he couldn't help but notice how they sparkled under the street lights. He felt drawn in by them, but he soon snapped out of it.

“This isn't a game, Ben,” Danny snorted, growing angrier still.

“Oh, is that what your problem is? You're still bitter about that stupid kid's game?” Ben asked, slightly amused.

Danny sighed, and turned away to look up at the moon that was barely visible through the dark clouds above them.

“What's happened to us? Is this some sort of sick joke?” he asked, not really talking to Ben, more thinking aloud.

Ben stepped closer, resting his hand on Danny's shoulder.

“I don't think so,” he said, looking up at the moon. “But I really wish it was”.

“How did this even happen? I mean, I know HOW it happened. But how was it even possible? It was just supposed to be a game! It wasn't actually supposed to happen!” Danny questioned.

“I don't know,” Ben sighed, starting to lead Danny to his house. “But now that it has happened, we have to stick together... at least until we find a way to survive”.

“I don't wanna survive, Ben,” Danny groaned in frustration. “Not if it means living like this for, well, eternity I guess”.

Ben stopped in his tracks, slightly shocked at his companion's words. He turned and looked up to see Danny's sad expression, his eyes even bluer than usual.

“You'd really want them to win? To pick us off like the others? Like we're nothing?” Ben asked, raising his eyebrow.

Danny looked down, raindrops fell from his hair and face, he could hear them hitting the ground, everything seemed louder and clearer now... Now that he wasn't human.

Ben watched him closely, afraid of what he was thinking, and what he was going to do. Sure, he and Danny didn't get along, but how were they to survive alone? He didn't want to admit it, but he needed Danny, and he hoped Danny would see that he needed him too.

“Please, come stay with me,” Ben asked, almost pleading.

Danny looked up, surprised at the slight desperation in Ben's voice. He looked into his eyes, seeing further desperation. He sighed and nodded.

“Thank you,” Ben said softly with a light smile, leading Danny back to his house.