Status: Completed

It Wasn't Meant to Be Like This.

Chapter Six

“Are ya definitely sure this will work?” Ben asked for what must have been the millionth time in the last six hours.

“No,” sighed Danny. “But what other choice do we really have, Ben?

“We could just give him what he wants...”

“And have him just snap our necks as soon as he's got it? No way! I'm not going out like that! But, hey, if that's what ya want, there's the door!” yelled Danny, his face flushed with rage.

Ben looked down at his feet, chewing his lip nervously. He really didn't like this new, scary attitude of Danny's. It was really starting to unsettle Ben, and he wasn't sure if he would be able to control Danny if he totally went over the edge cause of this situation with these other vampires.

Danny hated seeing that he was scaring Ben, but he knew that Ben needed to hear these things if they had any chance, no matter how small, of making it out of this situation alive.

“Ben...,” Danny sighed.

“It's okay... I know,” Ben whispered. “Let's just do this...”

“Are ya....?”

“I said, let's do it,” nodded Ben, walking to the front door, trying not to let his fear show. “One way or another, this has to end”.

Danny nodded softly, really hoping that he was right about this plan, cause if he was wrong this would be their last night... ever. He knew they only had a slim hope of it actually working, but he also knew he'd never forgive himself if they didn't at least try.

“Here goes nothing,” Danny whispered to himself as his hand reached out slowly to unlock the door.

Danny was surprised when he felt Ben's hand lay over his own.

“Together, or not at all,” Ben whispered quietly as they turned the handle and opened the door.

As soon as they were visible in the doorway, they were pulled outside by two of the slowly healing vampires. Ben and Danny had been expecting that and were prepared... with silver pins sticking up from the sleeves of their jackets. The vampires immediately pulled away, groaning in pain as the silver caused their skin to burn and blister.

“We're not idiots,” smirked Danny, feeling a little braver as the silver pins actually seemed to have worked... For now. “We came prepared”.

“Do you really think a few little pointy things will be enough to stop all of us?” the head vampire sneered, stepping closer to them.

“No,” smirked Ben, as he and Danny let something slip down their sleeves and into their hands. “But these might be...”

Ben and Danny raised their arms slightly and thrust them backwards hard and fast into the two vampires that had been holding them. The vampires gave out blood curdling screams of agony as their hearts were pierced and they collapsed in a heap on the floor.

“W-what? HOW?” bellowed the leader. “How is that possible?!”

“Oh, just with these,” Danny smirked, holding up a stake. “Good old Ash wood stakes tipped with a garlic and silver mix... Painful, and effective”.

“You won't be able to take out everyone,” the leader smirked, almost gloating. “There are too many of us”.

“We don't need to take out everyone,” smirked Ben, twiddling the stake between his fingers. “We just need to take out just one and the rest will follow...”

“You actually think you will be able to get close enough to actually hurt me?” the leader laughed loudly as the rest of the vampires stood in front of him.

“We don't need to get close,” smirked Danny. “Ya see, ya really shouldn't have left us in that cabin, cause we were able to do a little reading about ya... Michael. I gotta say, ya look good for a guy who's supposed to have been dead 10 years. It was 10 years, right? That's how long it's been since ya tricked my parents into destroying themselves when they thought they were getting rid of your psycho arse, right?”

“You don't know what you're talking about,” growled Michael, glaring at Danny as if he did it hard enough he might explode or turn to dust from his gaze.

“Don't I? Are ya willing to bet on that, Michael?” smirked Danny, pulling the necklace out of his shirt and holding it up. “So you're telling me that this isn't actually yours, with your blood in it, instead of the one my dad thought was his, with his blood in it? So you're telling me that if I took this stake and smashed this pretty little gem up and let the garlic and silver touch the blood, it wouldn't do anything to you. Is that why you're telling me, Michael?”

Michael tried his best to keep his face calm and unshowing, but both Danny and Ben saw the gleam of fear in his eyes as Danny spoke.

“Hmm, you've gone awfully quiet over there. Should I take that as a sign that I am right? That I can take ya out permanently with this one little thing?” smirked Danny, pressing the tip of the stake against the gem.

“Wait!” said Michael, walking through the crowd of his followers towards Danny and Ben. “Okay, okay, you figured it out. You're smarter than I gave you credit for. But don't you wanna know why I tricked your father and watched your mother destroy herself after she watched him crumble to dust?”

“It was to stop them warning me about the game, so I'd end up like this,” Danny spat, his fingers tightening around the stake. “Ya wanted me like this so ya could take me out, on your own terms, for something my grandfather did before I was even a thought! Something ya already KILLED my parents for even thought it was NOTHING to do with them! It's because of some stupid, petty, pathetic feud between your father and my grandfather!”

Ben looked over at Danny in shock. He hadn't told him that part while they were looking for a way to beat this guy.

“Danny,” whispered Ben. “Do it now and this will all be over... You'll be free... You'll have all of eternity to do whatever ya want... He won't be able to hurt ya or anyone else again”.

“But you will be destroying EVERY vampire I have ever created,” pointed out Michael.

Danny looked over at Ben, blood tears fresh in his eyes.

“Danny!” yelled Ben in desperation. “What are ya waiting for? DO IT!”

“He can't, can you Danny?” chuckled Michael. “He's just realised that there is a flaw in his plan”.

“Flaw? What flaw?” asked Ben, looking between Michael and Danny in confusion. “WHAT FLAW?”

“He made the game, Ben,” whispered Danny. “He's the one who made us this way... If I destroy him it'll... it'll kill us too”.

“If it stops anyone else being hurt by him... Do it Danny,” said Ben, unable to believe he actually said those words. “Do it”.

“If I do it, we die too, Ben,” whispered Danny, looking up at Ben.

“We're already dead!” exclaimed Ben. “We were dead the second we started that game!”

Danny chewed his lip, looking up at Ben, knowing that he's right.

“But you could live for eternity...” smirked Michael. “Forever to do whatever you want...”.

Danny shakes his head.

“No...” said Danny, clenching his jaw.

“No?” said Ben and Michael in unison, looking wide-eyed at Danny.

“No... I don't want eternity... I don't want to be like this... I don't want anyone else getting hurt... This ends now”.