Strictly Casual

2

“I can’t believe you fucked him.” Avery scowled at her friend sitting across from her at the table. Lila had a coy smirk on her face and watched Avery with an amused expression.

“You don’t need to tell the whole world.” Avery carefully unwrapped her Port of Subs sandwich.

“You’ve never been one to keep secrets.” Lila leaned her cheek against her hand. “So… Tell me about it.”

“Tell you about what?” Avery said innocently, picking up half of the sandwich
.
“Tell me how he was in bed, stupid.” Lila rolled her eyes. Just as she asked, Avery strategically stuffed the sandwich into her face. She took a huge bite and looked at Lila with wide eyes. Avery took a long time chewing her food. She enjoyed the frustration that was building up in Lila’s expression.

“Sorry.” Avery purred after she swallowed. “My mouth was empty, and then all of a sudden it wasn’t anymore!”

Lila laughed. “Yeah, I’m sure that’s exactly how it happened last night.”

Avery’s mouth dropped open. “Lila.” A small chuckle made its way out of her mouth.

“Come on, Avery. We’ve known each other since kindergarten. We know everything about each other. Was he good?” Lila leaned towards Avery, her dark eyes glistening. A smile was pulling across her face and she leaned her cheek upon her hand.

“Of course he was.” Avery sighed. She grabbed her water bottle off the table and took a swig. Avery looked away from Lila. The student center was packed with people. For a moment she was concerned that she would see Garrett, but she scolded herself. Why would it matter?

“Mm, he looks like he would be.” Lila sighed. “I had a class with him last semester. I don’t want to tell you all the thoughts I had about him.”

"You've got a boyfriend, stupid." Avery rolled her eyes and took another bite of her sandwich. “You’re also gross.” But Avery found herself agreeing with Lila. Garrett was hot. Avery wouldn’t have slept with him if he wasn’t.

“Are you going to keep seeing him?” Lila hefted her backpack on her lap, searching through it.

“Yeah, probably. I’m not sure when though.” Avery kept her eyes on Lila for a moment before dropping her gaze to her hands. “I suppose he’d come if I call.”

“They always do, Avery. You’ve got men falling at your feet.” Lila dragged her cell phone out of her back and swiped her thumb across the screen.

“That’s not what I want.” Avery said irritably. She picked at the hangnails adorning her thumb, not wanting to make eye contact with Lila. It was true, there were many boys that raced to her apartment if she merely texted the word phrase. "Can you come over?"

“It’s what you should expect.” Lila said, not unkindly. “You have pitched yourself as some unattainable, sexy, mysterious girl. You sleep with these boys, but demand that nothing more comes from it. You keep yourself at arm’s length, and that drives them crazy.”

“Well, Garrett doesn’t seem to care.” Avery said shortly. She knew Lila was just looking out for her, but Avery wasn’t looking for advice on how to live her life.

“I hope for his sake that he doesn’t. Sometimes it’s a little disheartening to see these boys fall apart when they can’t get to you. Not that they have a right into your life.” Lila’s milk chocolate eyes gazed evenly at Avery. “I love you, you know I do. But you know I’m transferring to the University of Boston after this semester is over.” The words drove a stake into Avery’s heart and she averted her gaze. “I’m just worried who you’ll talk to when I’m gone.” There was a few moments of silence. Avery didn’t know what to say and Lila was waiting for her response. After a minute, Lila sighed softly. “I’ve got to go; I promised Brandon we’d hang out.”

“Yeah. I understand. I’ll see you in Physics.” Avery smiled at her friend. Lila smiled back, gathering her things.

“See you in Physics.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's so short, and so delayed, but with finals over, I should be writing more! Comments/criticism always welcome!