Strictly Casual

3

“Avery.” She knew it would happen eventually. Avery looked up and was met with Garrett’s shimmering blue eyes. Garrett was a typical good looking guy. Hair that might as well have been spun from honey, his large eyes, holding both the color and depth of an ocean. Tan skin that wasn’t overdone. Garrett Johnson was a cliché, but just looking at him stirred a fire within her stomach. She thought back to the night together, the way he bent over her, the way he kissed body. He sat in the arm chair across from Avery and she looked away from him, ashamed to be so easily thrown off track.

“Garrett.” She said tamely. “How are you?”

“Can’t complain.” Garrett shrugged, nudging his backpack beneath the table with his foot. “Just got out of O-Chem. I think I’m dead inside.”

Avery smiled, running her fingers through her auburn hair. Her fingers got caught in the knots she had failed to brush out that morning and she worked through them slowly. “I don’t have to take that until next semester.”

“Well, might as well spend the summer prepping for a sleepless semester.” Garrett blew out a long breath and tilted his head back, closing his eyes as he did so. Avery observed the curve of his neck, and his collar bones peeking out of his V-neck t-shirt. Lord she wanted to bury her teeth in his neck, marring his flawless skin. “I thought you preferred the real thing over eye fucking.”

Avery jumped at Garrett’s smug voice. Her face flushed and she scowled. “Shut up, asshole.”

Garrett just laughed and shook his head. Avery hated him. He was too casual, too friendly. “Don’t worry about it. You’ll get some more soon enough.”

“You’re too cocky, y’know that?” Avery shook her head.

Garrett grinned. “No, girls love confidence. I mean, there’s a reason you invited me over the other night, right?”

Avery rolled her eyes. “Yes, to help with my physics homework.”

“Did you ever end up actually getting that done?”

Avery nodded. “Yeah, I finished when you left.”

Garrett let out a sigh of relief. “Well! That’s the best news I’ve heard all day.” Avery had to laugh. “Did you want to go get some coffee?” Garrett asked suddenly. “I’ve been up since six and my last cup is wearing off.”

Avery went stone faced. She knew Garrett saw it, and immediately resigned to what her answer would be. “I’ve actually made plans to go see my mom.” While this wasn’t completely true, it wasn’t a complete lie either. Avery had in fact been meaning to go see her mother, but she’d been putting it off. Avery was up on her feet, snatching her bag from beneath the table and tucking her phone into her pocket.

Garrett nodded, an expectant smile curling on his lips as he rose from his seat as well.. Fuck him. What a stupid arrogant asshole. Anger was broiling in Avery's chest, and she wasn’t quite sure why. Garrett didn’t give a fuck. He knew she was lying, and he thought it was the funniest thing on earth. He was playing with her because he got a laugh out of her reactions, and Avery absolutely hated it. Garrett leaned down and scooped up his backpack. “I meant it as a casual thing, you know, like you said you wanted it to be. Getting coffee as friends. ” He said “But I know that your word is good. Have a good evening with your mom, okay?”

“Yeah, okay.” Avery said, feeling defeated. Her anger disappeared and she was left feeling hollow. The sincerity of his voice irked her, and Avery knew she would have to go see her mother now. If only to show Garrett that she wasn't lying.

“See you round.” Garrett gave her a two finger salute and walked away from her. Avery stood statuesque and watched him as he jogged down the stairs, his blonde head bobbing until it was out of sight. She took a few deep breaths and counted to one hundred before following.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the shit quality. <3 The more comments mean faster uploads!