Strictly Casual

4

After pulling into the driveway, Avery turned off her car and sat. For a long time she sat there, trying to remain oblivious the heat that was slowly building up in the car. The house looked beautiful. What else would Carla be paying a fortune for? While her home wasn’t huge, it was big enough for Carla to need a maid to clean it. Well, she didn’t need a maid, but how else would she clean the house? She hoped that Lola was doing okay. Avery was concerned for the amount of attention that the Doberman would be receiving. After taking a deep breath, Avery yanked her keys out of the ignition and exited the vehicle. The wind blew straight through her skin, sending a chill deep into her bones. Again, Avery stared up at the house. She had spent ten years of her life in that place, but it felt like a foreign entity. The white paint leered glaringly at her, the trimmed bushes taunting her with her mother’s success. Avery forced her legs to move, taking slow steps up the driveway. The arching doorway laughed at her as she passed through it. The door was bright red, the sort of red you see whores wearing for lipstick. “I see a red door and I want to paint it black.” Avery sang under her breath as she ticked through her keys, looking for the one that would allow her access to the house. As soon as Avery’s key slid into the lock, Lola’s booming bark could be heard. She unlocked the door and pulled it open. Lola’s panting face greeted her. From the way she ran sporadically in circles, Avery could tell that the dog had gotten little to no exercise since the last time Avery had been at her mother’s house. Anger spiked like lava through Avery’s veins. “Mom!” Avery shouted angrily after she gave Lola a thorough petting. There was no answer. Avery figured she knew why. “Come on Lola.” Avery cooed at the dog. She crossed the front room and ascended the marble staircase.

“Avery? Are you here?” The voice that cut through was not Carla’s.

“Yeah.” Avery responded.

Linda met Avery at the top of the stairs. She had a mop in hand. Linda was probably beautiful once, but now her olive skin was marred with wrinkles and her hair, which at one time was probably silky and illustrious, was frizzy and carried no shine. “It’s nice to see you.” Linda said kindly.

“It’s nice to see you too.” Avery said politely. “I’m sorry if this is straight to the point, but has anybody had the time to exercise Lola?”

“Sorry, I’m busy with the house all the time, and with taking care of your mother. I do make sure she is fed and watered every day.” Linda offered a weak smile, but Avery just shook her head.

“She needs exercise.” Avery said softly. “She’s a big dog.” Avery dropped her head, staring into Lola’s big black eyes. “I thought buying my mom a dog would help, but now this dog is is just a burden on her.”

“I’m sorry Avery.” Linda stepped forward and touched Avery’s shoulder.

“I’m taking Lola with me.” Avery slid from beneath Linda’s hand. She loved Linda, but with the anger boiling in her stomach she didn’t think she could handle being touched right now. “I’ve got to go have a word with my mom. Do you think you can find Lola’s leash and harness for me?”

“Yes of course. Carla’s in her room.” The last part sounded sad and Avery knew why.

“Thank you.” Avery said softly. Lola followed Avery down winding hallways, hallways that held no pictures of her family, and probably never would. She stopped short of the master bedroom. The door was cracked slightly. Avery stared at the door, not wanting to go inside. Not wanting to find what she knew she would find. She looked down at Lola. The happiness was gone from her face now, and she looked at Avery with fear. “It’ll be okay baby. You’ll be coming home with me after this.” This made Lola’s stumpy tail wag back and forth, but only a few times. Lola did not follow Avery into her mother’s room. It was dark and hot. The shades were drawn, and there was a shapeless mass on the bed. “Mom.” Avery said with a hard tone. She stepped up to the bed and looked down at her mother, passed out in bed with the needle still in her arm and the tourniquet tied around her bicep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are always welcome! Sorry for the spaced out updates!