Strictly Casual

5

Avery trudged up the stairs leading to her apartment. Lola was walking beside her, head hung as low as Avery felt. Her throat burned. She rubbed her puffy eyes, cursing her mother for bringing about such unwelcome emotions. The stairs made the muscles in her legs ache just as much as her eyes. She didn’t want to risk taking Lola in the elevator. Avery would need to put in a pet deposit, and she just didn’t want to think about it at the moment. She finally reached her floor and shifted the paper bag in her hand to her left hand while she searched her purse for her keys. She needed to go buy a new pack of cigarettes the next day, as Avery had chain-smoked the rest of her pack in the drive from the pet store to her home. “Need any help?” The voice that spoke to her was perhaps the last one she wanted to hear.

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing here?” Avery snarled.

Garrett was smiling at her, holding a bouquet of gorgeous roses. “Just wanted to apologize for earlier. Seems I pissed you off, and that was the furthest from my intentions.” His eyes flicked down to Lola and he grinned wider. “Wow, what a beautiful dog. Doberman?”

“Yes.” Avery rubbed her forehead. “I don’t think I can deal with you right now Garrett. I’m probably in the worst mood. Not even something sex can fix.”

“That’s not why I showed up.” Garrett frowned. “I just said, I wanted to apologize.”

“And that’s great. I’m so glad you did.” Avery shoved past Garrett and pushed her key in the lock. “But that’s not going to get you laid any sooner.”

Garrett was silent for a moment as Avery played the lock with her key. When she got the door unlocked she threw it open and let the dog in. “You’re really naïve, do you know that Avery?”
“If I’m going to be quite honest here, Garrett, I don’t give a fuck. I really couldn’t care less.” Avery practically threw the bag into her apartment as she turned to face Garrett. “I’m having a really fucked up day, and you showing up here with flowers isn’t going to make it better. The only thing you could do to help is give me a cigarette, because I’m out.” Her nerves danced erratically, and she was trying to force away the tears that were beginning to build up. Avery stormed into her apartment. Garrett followed and dropped the flowers on the dining table. She watched him dig a pack of cigarettes out of his pocket, coupled with a lighter. He handed them both to her. She frantically whipped one out and lit it. Tasting the nicotine soothed her nerves and she took a deep inhale.

“Why don’t you tell me what’s up.” Garrett took the pack back from her and pulled out a cigarette as well.

“It’s none of your business.” Avery exhaled the smoke and watched Lola explore her new surroundings. She knew she should set out some food and water, but right now she just needed a moment to herself. Garrett being here worsened her feeling of despair.

“You know, if you don’t let anyone in you’re going to end up in a very sad place in your life.” Garrett said brusquely, taking a drag off of his cigarette.

Avery landed her cold eyes on him. “I’m not a girl you can save by loving, Garrett. This isn’t a book, this isn’t a movie. You’re just a casual fuck to me, and that’s all you’re going to be.”

Garrett stared at her, his dark eyes hinting nothing of his thoughts. “I’m not trying to love you, Avery. I’ve seen you blow through enough guys to know how big of a mistake that would be.” His words cut Avery, but he wasn’t wrong. Avery had only ever been interested in sex, and had not once been in a relationship. She found emotions too messy and complicated. “But I’m trying to be a friend to you. Why can’t we fuck, and then be friends? I know your only friend is going to Boston next semester, and then what?”

For fucks sake, he sounded just like Lila. “How do you know about Lila?” Avery asked hotly.

“She told me. We had a class together last summer, she told me about how she applied, and got in, and was very excited. I was excited for her.” Garrett shrugged. “I’ve known you both since middle school. Why is it so shocking that I’ve talked to her?”

“You should stay out of my personal life.” Avery said. Exhaustion was sagging into her voice. “I’m a big girl, I can make my own decisions.”

“I put my dick in you, I’m now entitled to care about what happens to you.” Garrett gave her a soft smile. Seeing his smile stirred something within Avery. She was suddenly afraid of being alone. But he couldn't know that.

“You’re entitled to nothing.” Avery put out her cigarette and got close to Garrett. She slid her hands up his shirt.

“I thought you didn’t want to fuck.” Garrett raised his eyebrows questioningly.

“I’m allowed to change my mind.” Avery dragged her lips across his collarbone. She wanted his touch, craved his body against hers. Avery needed something to distract her from the day she had.

“I suppose you are.” Garrett’s hands slid down her back and cupped her ass. He picked her up and set her on the table besides the flowers her brought her, before attacking her mouth with his.
Avery allowed herself to become swallowed in the bliss that Garrett’s hands brought her. She let him strip her jeans off, and watched while he yanked off his own. Avery closed her eyes while Garrett fucked her, and all she could smell was his musky cologne and the bouquet of yellow roses that laid besides her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Managed to get a chapter done rather quickly! Comments are always appreciated!