Status: new idea // updates will probably be a little slow at first

Ain't It Fun

four

It had been a month since the night that Devin and Ashton skipped the party. They ended up watching some Will Smith movie that Devin had never seen.

She didn't really pay attention, though. She was much too aware of Ashton's side pressed against her own as they sat on her small bed. Every time he took a breath or shifted a little, she felt it. She had been doing her best to ignore it; that was until Ashton had decided to stretch across the bed and lay his head in her lap. Instantly, Devin had tensed up but she wasn't sure he noticed with the way he was so absorbed in the movie. Unsure of what to do, she kept her hands rigid at her sides and her eyes trained on the tv screen, not really taking anything in (except that Will Smith's son in the movie was also his son in real life).

When it finally ended (an hour and a half later, Devin kept checking the time on her phone), Ashton stood and stretched his arms and legs. He asked if she enjoyed the movie and she only nodded, not trusting her own voice. He then offered to take the half eaten pizza back to the dorm he shared with Michael, which Devin agreed was a good idea. They hugged goodbye and Ashton exited her room, quickly.

Devin had been pretty awkward around Ashton the week following. He didn't notice that, though; he stayed his normal hyperactive self. It made Devin wonder if he even realized what he had done. She figured he was touchy with all of his friends, so laying his head in her lap wasn't meant to be anything other than friendly. That realization did put her mind at ease, helping her to loosen up around him.

Things had basically gone back to normal after that. Except for the way Devin's heart skipped a beat whenever Ashton walked in the room. She was trying so hard to ignore her feelings for him.

-----

"So you still haven't admitted your crush yet, then?" Michael asked a month after that awkward (for Devin, anyway) night. Michael, Devin, and Ashton had been sitting in the two boys' dorm, playing video games. Ashton had stepped out of the room to take a call and Devin let out a deep sigh, which Michael noticed.

"I don't have a crush on him, Mike," she hissed back at him, hoping Ashton wouldn't hear them.

"Deny it all you want, Dev," Michael stated, pausing the video game he was currently kicking her ass on to look at her properly, "we all know you do."

"We all know what?" Ashton asked, barging back into the room, closing the door behind him. He plopped down on the floor next to Devin and picked his discarded controller back up.

Michael looked at Devin and she shook her head. He unpaused the game. "We all know that Devin sucks at Fifa."

The older boy chuckled and nodded in agreement.

"So, who called?" Michael questioned, changing the subject. Devin sent him a grateful smile.

"Oh, just my mum. She needs some help remodeling and painting the house, so I'm going home for the weekend to help her," Ashton replied, not taking his eyes from the TV screen. "You guys should come with me. Mike, you can go home for probably the first time in forever. And we could show Dev where we grew up."

Michael glanced at Devin, who was staring blankly at the screen with her mouth agape. He chuckled softly at her and then turned his attention back to Ashton. "Sure, that would be fine as long as I don't have to help you do any work."

"Of course not, Mikey," Ashton countered, laughing his usual boisterous giggle. "What about you, Dev? You up for seeing West Sydney?"

Up to that point, Devin's mind was racing at an incredible rate. She couldn't think straight. She didn't even know why she was freaking out so much. It wasn't like she would be alone with Ashton the whole weekend. Mike would also be there and anywhere those two went, Calum and Luke were sure to follow.

After realizing how overdramatic she was being, Devin sighed and looked over at Ashton, meeting his waiting hazel gaze. "Uh, sure, yeah. That could be fun."

"Oh, loads of fun," Michael smirked and nudged her with his elbow. She shot him a glare and he held back his laughter.

"It's settled then," Ashton stated, which caused the other two to break eye contact. "I'll let Calum and Luke know and then we'll leave after classes on Friday."

Devin hoped that with Ashton around, the other boys would hold back their prodding of her crush on the oldest Australian. Knowing those three it was unlikely. She suddenly regretted agreeing to the whole thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry this is kind of short but there's probably going to be a lot of action in the next chapter. so i decided to end this one there so chapter five could be extra juicy.

hope you enjoyed this though. comment and such if you feel like it.

p.s. did you guys see the BBMAs??? how freaking amazing, right? and the don't stop music video?? the best thing ever, ngl.

//caitie