Status: next prompt as the sequel

I'll Pick You Up Off the Ground

I'll Pick You Up Off The Ground

It happened a lot and, by now, it seemed like the floor was one of Zack’s favorite places to be, except that it wasn’t. It didn’t matter though because Rian was always there to get him back up to his feet.

They were five years old when it happened for the first time. They were in kindergarten and had just became friends. As they were going outside for recess, one of the kids, Kellin, told Zack that he could run faster than him but Zack told him that it wasn’t true. When they got outside, one of Kellin’s friends suggested a race to know which boy ran faster. He pointed to a tree and said that the first one who got there, one. Both boys nodded and Jesse counted to three for the boys to go. It didn’t take long for Zack to get in front of Kellin and he looked behind him quickly to see where the black-haired boy was but tripped in a crack on the cement, falling to the ground. As soon as Zack fell, Rian took off running as fast as his little legs could carry him. He got to Zack and kneeled down beside the smaller boy.

“Are you okay?” He asked, concerned.

Zack shook his head, showing his scratched hands and knees to the older boy, eyes filled with tears. But he wouldn’t cry now, he was a big boy now.

Rian winced at the sight of the blood on Zack’s right knee. “We’ll go see a teacher.” Rian said, getting back up to his feet and helping Zack to do the same. Then, they walked to a teacher, Zack limping slightly and wincing at the pain in the palm of his hands.

A few years later, it happened again. It was another of the five times that just really seem to stick out in Rian’s mind for no reason. This time, they were 12 years old and were just starting middle school. They didn’t have any other friends than each other and definitely weren’t popular. The kids of 8th grade also like to pick on them for no reason. It started as something basically meaningless but by November, it had turned into full on bullying. This time, as Zack was talking to Rian in the hallway, one of the bullies, Max, ran to him, pushing him into a wall and out of his way with more strength than he intended to and Zack knocked his head against the wall, falling to the floor in shock. Rian was immediately by his side, almost in panic as he asked the younger boy if he was okay. Zack groaned, holding the side of his head that had collided with the wall with one hand but nodded anyway. He extended his arm, holding onto the hand Rian was offering him and the older boy pulled him up off the floor.

The third time that seemed to really stick to Rian’s mind was probably the worst. They were now 15 years old and Zack had just texted him to ask if he could come over. Rian accepted immediately and texted Zack back, saying that he’d be there in 10 minutes. When he got to Zack’s house, he knocked but got no answer. A minute later though, he got another text from Zack.

‘Just come in, I’m in my room.’ It said.

Worried, Rian entered the house, climbing up the stairs to Zack’s room. He opened the door and once again, his best friend was on the floor but, this time, it was different. All the other times, Zack had told himself that he couldn’t cry but, this time, the younger boy had his arms wrapped around his knees and his head against them, his whole frame shaking with his sobs. He couldn’t stop himself anymore, even when Rian sat beside him, asking him what had happened. The younger boy was crying so much that he couldn’t even answer his best friend’s question. They sat there for a while, until Zack calmed down enough to talk.

“Gabe broke up with me.” Zack croaked out. It was no secret that Zack was gay, he had found out when he was 14, just a little after Rian had figured that he was bisexual. Gabe had been Zack’s first boyfriend but had also caused his first heart break. When Zack stopped crying, Rian knew exactly what to do. Every time Zack was sad, this was all he wanted to do.

“Ice cream, movies and cuddles?” He asked.

Zack nodded weakly and Rian got up, taking both of Zack’s hands in his, pulling the younger boy up. Zack wiped his tears away with the sleeves of his Ravens’ hoodie and hugged Rian tightly.

“Thank you.” The younger boy mumbled.

“No problem.” Rian said, hugging him back. “Now, c’mon, go choose the movie and I get the ice cream.” Rian said, offering Zack a smile.

Zack smiled back sadly and went downstairs, picking a movie and sitting on the couch, while he waited for Rian to return from the kitchen with two spoons and a tub of chocolate ice cream.

The fourth time was a few months later but it was a lot happier. Two months after Zack and Gabe’s break-up, Rian had finally told Zack that he loved him and, now, they were dating. What had started as the two boys simply cuddling quickly turned into a tickle fight. Zack was on top of Rian, his fingers attacking the older boy’s sides and both boys laughing. That was until Rian pushed Zack away a little more forcefully than he intended to, the younger boy falling off the bed.

“Ow.” He said as he hit the floor with a loud thud.

“Oh my God! Zack, I’m so sorry! Are you okay?” Rian asked, peering from the edge of the bed.

“Yes. Don’t worry.” Zack giggled softly.

Rian jumped down the bed to help Zack up from the ground and planted a quick kiss on his lips once the younger boy was back on his feet. “I’m so sorry baby.” He said once again.

“I’m telling you I’m fine. Stop apologizing, now.” Zack said, smiling and pulling Rian closer to him to kiss him properly.

The last time had happened just a few hours ago. Rian had just gotten home from college to the apartment he shared with Zack to find his boyfriend lying on the floor of their room, eyes closed and the ghost of a smile on his face.

“Zack?” Rian asked as he walked in the room. Zack opened his eyes, smiling up at the older boy.

“What are you doing on the floor.”

“Just thinking.” Zack replied.

“On the floor?” Rian raised an eyebrow.

“I was petting the cat but it ran away. I was just too lazy to get up from the floor.” Zack said, pouting slightly.

“And what were you thinking about exactly?” The older asked.

“Just how lucky I am to have you.” Zack replied, extending his arms towards Rian. “Help me now.”

Rian chuckled, taking Zack’s hands to help the younger boy up.

“I love you.” Zack said once he was up on his feet.

“I love you too.” Rian said, leading Zack to the bed.

And there they were, a few hours later, Zack asleep in Rian’s strong arms and the older boy just looking down at him happily, smiling to himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit: Save you - Simple Plan (Nothing to do with the song...)
Well, this one is done and I'm kind of proud of it. So, let me know what you think of it and I already finished writing the other one so I'll try to type it soon and hopefully, it'll be up by the end of next week.