Sequel: Hell Bound
Status: Complete

Monster

Eighteen

A week passed without a word from Bucky, and I almost couldn't find the motivation to keep going for another three. I wanted to quit the diner and even considered taking Tony up on his offer. I could sell my house and be done with the mortgage forever. I could be closer to my sister again. But I didn't want to leave Bucky behind. I knew he'd be back. Maybe in another week. Maybe a whole year. I just knew it wouldn't be the last time I heard from him.

One day, when I was working a later shift at the diner, I spent the morning trying to find something to do to fill the time. Steve was busy, and I hated that he and Sam had become my only friends. I'd lived years of my life with barely any contact with other people. Now I was anxious when alone.

I decided to go to the Smithsonian to see Steve's exhibit now that I'd gotten to know him. I'd only been once before when Clara dragged me on one of her visits. But I hadn't paid much attention. Because back then, Steve was just a historical figure who occasionally walked around the Triskelion. I didn't think I'd ever get to know him. Now I got to see him walk around my house and the vibranium shield found a nice home in my armchair every few nights.

The exhibit didn't do anything to ease my anxiety. There were pictures of Bucky everywhere. And not the one I knew, but Steve's Bucky. Their closeness was evident. It was easy to see their ease with one another. I'd never seen Steve so relaxed and comfortable. Their smiles were startlingly unfamiliar. It was the kind of friendship that grew over time. It was a history, a brotherhood. I didn't know if it was strong enough to survive what they'd gone through for the past 70 years.

I watched the videos for a long time. I hoped it would make me feel better to see Bucky when he was still happy, but it felt worse. I could barely recognize him. I'd grown used to seeing his features, but he seemed so much more alive in the videos and pictures. Even when all he was doing was standing beside Steve. There was more vibrancy in the way he held himself. So unlike the man who stood in my kitchen, staring emotionlessly at dark shadows.

I left before going through the whole exhibit. I was planning on just putting in some overtime, but the thought of making milkshakes when I didn't have to turned me away. So instead, I sat in my car in the parking lot and pulled Sam's card out of my apron pocket. If I was fast enough and didn't get caught in traffic, I might be able to make the end of a meeting.

The meeting was already almost over when I got there. I followed the sound of Sam's voice through the hallway and stood at the open door to watch him work. He was standing at the podium at the front of the room, just casually talking to a large group of people. Even though they were all dressed as civilians, there was a familiar darkness in their features.

His eyes moved across the room and spotted me, cutting off his monologue mid-sentence. He smiled and turned back to the group.

"Everyone, I'd like to introduce you to a friend of mine," he said, gesturing toward me. Heads turned in my direction, and I stepped forward nervously. "This is Corporal Hayes. Special Forces. Also a close friend of Captain Rogers. And a hero. But she won't let you tell her that." Everyone clapped, and I went to Sam's side.

"Sorry I'm late," I said.

"It's alright. I'm glad you came." He gave me a pat on the back.

"I don't really want to talk or anything."

"That's fine. You can just listen. We were just finishing up anyway."

"Okay. I'm going to take a seat now."

"Alright, you do that." I hurried away from the podium and found a place to sit beside a young kid with crutches.

Unfortunately, the meeting didn't last much longer. When Sam finished, he approached me. Everyone was saying goodbye and hugging and smiling. People were laughing, and Sam looked over them like a proud mother duck.

"Do they know about you stealing top-secret military equipment and nearly destroying DC?" I whispered. He laughed and shook his head.

"Not a clue."

"But they do know you're friends with Rogers."

"I sort of blackmailed him into making an appearance so I could impress the girl at the front desk."

"Nice. I wonder how many more tips I could get if I blackmail him into coming into the diner." He laughed heartily. I liked the way he laughed. It was easy and comforting.

"It's worth a shot. People pay extra for the old man."

"Thank you for inviting me. I have to get to work, though, or I'll be late."

"It's not a problem. You'll be here next week, right?"

"I'll try."

"I'll hold you to it. And you still owe me a casserole." I laughed and waved goodbye.

"I'll call you about the casserole. I don't actually know how to make one. But how hard can it be?"

"You better. But there better be board games too, or I'm not coming."

I headed toward the hall when a man limped over to me and stuck his hand out. I reached out to shake it politely but really just wanted to get out of there without having to talk. He enveloped both my hands in his.

"I just wanted to thank you for your service," he said. I shook my head.

"Thank you. But Wilson just likes to give me more credit than I deserve," I assured him. I looked past him and hoped I could devise a good enough excuse to leave.

"Humility was always your biggest weakness, Agent Hayes," he said. Then he stepped closer, and his arm snaked around my back, gripping my shoulder a little tighter than I was comfortable with. I froze in panic, and he leaned over to whisper in my ear. "Hail Hydra," he said. Then he slipped out the door faster than I thought he'd be capable of. I stood in stunned silence for a minute before it registered that I had to do something.

The crowd was dissipating, and people were saying goodbye to me as I blocked the exit. I finally snapped back into focus and turned to find Sam. He was still by the podium in the middle of a conversation with the tall, skinny kid on crutches. I rushed to him with my heart hammering. His eyes locked on mine, and he sensed my distress. He told his companion to give him a minute and rushed forward to meet me.

"What's the matter? Are you okay?" he asked.

"Did you see the man I was talking to?"

"Yeah, I know him. He's a…."

"He's Hydra."

"What?"

"He's Hydra. He called me Agent and then said 'Hail Hydra.'" He shook his head.

"That can't be true. Why would he come out now?"

"Well, he is, Sam. He's probably been keeping an eye on you."

"But why would he admit it to you?"

"I don't know. Maybe they know about Bucky?"

"Alright, alright. Let's stay calm. I'll call Steve."

"They're going to come back for him, aren't they? For Bucky?" He scanned the room.

"They're still out there," he said. "And you know what they say about cutting off one head."

"We have to find him."

"He'll come to you first, Jo. Let him come when he's ready." I sighed and shook my head.

"We can't let them take him again."

He opened his mouth to speak, but a loud explosion broke the calm quiet of the room. The building rattled, and dust fell from the ceiling. There were shouts and screams throughout the hall. Sam rushed toward the windows to look outside. I followed after him.

"It was in the parking structure," he said. Then turned to look at me. I chewed on my lip.

"My car was on that level," I told him.