Anyone Can Be a Hero

Chapter Seven

Two months have gone by and it was starting to get colder. Snow was falling and people were suffering for food. John and I have been making daily visits to where his partner was under the ground, to make sure that he was all right and to keep them updated about what's going on. The commissioner put together a team of the remaining officers, and I've been helping out too, to keep tracking the three tanks that had the bomb inside of it. We've found a safe house in a secret storage unit of a little convenient store, there we make our plans and hide out if Bane is near.

Right now, John and I are heading to that safe house, hand in hand and keeping an eye of our surroundings. We had already stopped to see his partner this morning and made sure that he and the other officers were getting enough food and water and trying to give them hope.

We got to the store with no problem and headed to the back, there were already five of officers there, including the Commissioner; we were just waiting on a few more. We took a seat in the corner and sat on the ground, I leaned my head on John's shoulder and shut my eyes, but I was still awake.

"I don't understand why he has to bring his girlfriend!" I heard someone say but I ignored it.

"That's enough! She’s helpful!" the Commissioner said and I heard John sigh.

"But she can slow us down if we ever got into a fight!"

"Son, trust me, she's not going to slow us down!" the Commissioner said and I smirked while I felt John put his hand on my knee.

Last month we were attacked while trying to track one of the tanks and while some of the guys ran, I stay and kicked most of their butts. So the Commissioner knows that I can hold up my own end, and that I'm not the person to slow them down.

I heard more officers walk in and John and I stood up, this meeting was about to begin when I heard the door open from the front of the shop, "Someone's here!"

Three people walked into the room, they addressed themselves as Special Forces and I sighed. They wanted us to explain the situation and we did, and they came up with a plan that I knew for a fact wasn't going to work.

"It's not going to work," I growled and the one in charge looked at me and walked over.

"And why won't it work?"

"Because your plan has a lot of flaws!" I growled and stepped closer because he was getting in my face.

"Zoey," John said and placed his hand on my arm, "Sir, you should tell him!"

"Yes, well Zoey's right, there is a problem with that plan,” Commissioner said and I backed up a little.

"Like what?" the man asked.

"Blake, go show them, son," the Commissioner said and I glared at the Special Force guy.

"Yes sir," John said and I felt myself being drug away from the guys, "Come on, Zoey, I need you to go home, you're getting too hot headed!" he said and I looked at him, sighed, and then nodded my head, "Ok, I'll see you later."

"Be careful!" I said and he smirked and then kissed my forehead.

"You too," he said and I started to walk back home.

As I got to the apartment there was a note on the door, I grabbed it and then unlocked the door and walked in. I opened the note and read it, 'Turn Around'. My eyes widened and I turned around to block a punch that was aimed for my head.

"Not bad, you've gotten better."

I looked up to see Selina standing there, we both brought our arm back down and I looked at her and shook my head, "You just can't come to say 'hi' in a normal way, can you?"

"Now that wouldn't be me, would it?"

I smirked and then opened my arms to hug my long time friend, "It's good to see you, Selina."

"Same to you," she said and then we walked into the living room and sat on the couch, "So how's life?"

I looked at her like she was crazy, "Really? We're gunna go there?"

She laughed, "Well we have to seem like our lives aren't at risk, and that we could possibly die at any second."

"Boy you know how to make a girl feel wanted in life," I said and we both laughed.

"I try. So how have you been, Zoey?"

"I've been good; John and I are trying to track down all of the tanks to find which one the bomb is in."

"You're still trying to save the city?"

"I can't help it, this is the city that I grew up in- You can't tell me that I shouldn't try to save it when it's in a state of chaos."

"John? He's the cop?"

"Yeah," I said with a smile on my face.

"So you like him?"

"Yeah, I really do!"

"Good, I'm glad he makes you happy, you deserve it, Zoey," Selina said and I smile and nodded my head, "So, how's your beast?"

I look at her and sigh, "She's rough sometimes, but for whatever reason, whenever I'm with John, she's calm."

"So what about now?"

"I'm worried about him, so she's restless," I said and Selina nodded her head.

"You really love him, don't you?"

"Well, I don't know about love-"

"Shut up! I know that look on your face; you love him, so admit it."

I sighed and looked at her. I smiled and nodded my head, "I do, I love him."

"There ya go! And I'm sure he loves you too, even if he is a cop," Selina said and I laughed, "Why a cop?"

"I don't know, the heart wants what the heart wants," I said and she laughed, but then I heard my cell phone go off, "Hello?"

"Zoey, come to the store," John said and then hung up.

I stare at the phone confused and then look at Selina, "I think I have to go."

"You think?"

"Yeah, John said that he wanted me to come to the store, I wonder what's going on."

"Don't know, you better get going."

I nodded my head and stood up and hugged Selina, "I was good to see you."

"Same," she said and then we both left the apartment and I headed on way and she headed the other.

I got to the store and went to the back to see the commissioner standing there waiting, "Zoey, did John call you?"

"Yeah," I said and then leaned against the wall waiting for the other officers to show up.

Soon later, John and some of the other officers walked in and John came over towards me.

"Where are the Special Forces guys?" I asked and John looked at me and shook his head.

"Bane," was all he said and I sighed.

The Commissioner was looking for someone and then just took off, I watched as he left and I was confused, "What was that about?"

"Don't know," John said and I felt hand lace with mine, and I leaned against him, "We'd better follow though."

I nodded my head and then we started to follow him to one of the other officer’s houses. The Commissioner was yelling at him for running away, when he should be fighting for his city. Another lady showed up the John knew and she stood next to us. When I had a hold of her scent, I got this familiar feeling, but I didn't know what it was. She had offered to help us, but there was something about her that made me very suspicious.

The Commissioner made a plan and we were going to track the tanks for the bomb again. He gave John and I the orders to stay up high and be our eyes, while I was going to be their ears. I could hear if someone was coming and John was going to report it to them. And it was working really well, until all of a sudden there was this ringing noise in my ears that apparently I was the only one to hear.

"Zoey? Zoey can you hear me? Zoey!"