Status: In Progress

Journey of a Lifetime

Chapter 9

Past:
I paced around the cabin. The sun had set hours ago. Now the moon glimmered over the water. The stars were harder for me to look at. I knew the star that led to Neverland but I had no way to get there. The charm had done nothing. I still hoped. Peter had promised me.
“Lucy, sweetheart, I brought you some food,” Mila said. She sat down the plate of food and a fresh cup of ale.
I tried to ignore her. Maybe she would just leave.
“I know you’re upset, but you have to accept that I’ve made my choice,” she said.
“A choice that leaves a son without his mother,” I said, shaking my head. How can she be so heartless? Her son is younger than I was when my mother left.
“I also have a daughter, now,” Mila replied.
I let out a breathy laugh. This was hard for me. I didn’t like to harbor bad feelings toward anyone but I was unsure that these feelings would ever change.
“I am not your daughter. I won’t put my trust and my love into a woman who could so easily quit her life for something better. A better adventure. That is not a mother that I want.”
“This is the life I want. I love your father and I love you.” She stepped toward me.
“And when you tire of us? Am I to believe that you could never find another man even more adventurous?” I picked up the pen knife on Father’s desk.
“Lucy-”
“Stay away from me. I do not want anything from you.” I twisted the pen knife in my hand
Mila didn’t draw her sword. Her shoulders dropped in defeat. I watched her nod her head slowly, then exit the room. I locked the door before setting the knife back where I’d found it.
“What was I thinking? I just threatened her with a knife!” I paced the length of the room, twisting a strand of hair around my finger. “What have I become?”
I stopped at the window, looking out at the clear night sky again. It took me a moment to realize that we were not moving. We must have docked at the next port. I could see a light in the reflection of the glass. The necklace!
I picked it up off the bench seat and turned it in my hand. It kept turning back to point toward the door. “Peter…” I smiled. I must pack a bag before I leave.
“Lucy.” Father tried the handle.
I quietly laid down on the bench with my back to the door. I evened my breathing while Father unlocked the door with his spare keys.
Squeezing my eyes shut, I kept as still as I could when Father entered. He pulled a blanket over me and kissed my head, telling me that he loved me.
I waited a long amount of time before getting up and going over to the locked cabinet in the corner. Father kept a couple extra bags of coins. I didn’t have any money in my own cabin, and I might need it.
I pushed on the boards on the floor. One of them is supposed to come up… or was it the wall? After checking both, I came up empty. I know Father hid the spare key in here somewhere.
Sitting with my knees drawn up to my chest, I tried to think. I’ve lived on this ship for a long time. I shouldn’t be having this much trouble. I groaned and fell back against the floor, narrowly missing the desk. I rubbed my face with my hands. Wait.
On the ceiling, there was a board with a cut through the center. Just glancing, I would have never noticed before. Clever, Father. I smiled.
The desk wobbled underneath my weight when I climbed on top. I pushed on both sides but only one gave. I stuck the piece between my legs before reaching up into the hole. Something wet and slimly squished between my fingers. My gag reflex kicked a little but I kept searching.
Found it!
The key worked. I took out the bag of coins. Hopefully Father will forgive me one day. I returned the key to its hiding place and slipped out the door to go to my own cabin. Simply pack a bag and go.
Looking through all of my clothes, I slipped on some pants, even though Mila had bought these for me. It would be easier to make my way through town if I looked like a boy.
I clipped my cloak over my brown leather jacket. Deep breathe. You can do this. Keep the hood up and your head down.
With my bag over my shoulder and the necklace firmly in my hand, I snuck off the ship and down the dock. I thought it would be empty streets but the taverns were alive with music and people.
Should I stick to alleyways? I stared at the necklace as I walked, keeping a quick pace. I must put some distance between the ship and myself.
Not paying attention, I ran into someone. The force knocked me back onto the ground.
“Watch where you’re going little lad,” One said.
“That’s not a lad. It’s a miss,” Another chimed in. These boys were only a few years older than I was.
“Apologies, little lady. Are you hurt?” The black haired boy that I’d run into held out his hand.
“I’m alright, thank you,” I said and took his hand.
He gently pulled me to my feet, but didn’t let go of my hand. “I’m terribly sorry miss…” He trailed off. His green eyes stared straight into my blue ones.
“Lucy…Jones,” I replied, finding myself smiling a little. His was contagious.
“Lucy.” He kissed my hand. “It’s pleasure to meet you, Lucy. I’m Jace, and these are my friends, Malcolm and Theodore.”
They each gave a little hello when he said their names. I wonder why they are out here. It’s late.
“It’s not safe out here for a young lady like yourself,” Jace half smiled. He’d yet to release my hand.
“I’m meeting a friend, and I must go,” I said. They aren’t bad. I have to believe there are good men in the world.
“Can I walk you there?” Jace asked.
“It’s probably best if you do not.” I tried to pull my hand away.
He tightened his grip and twisted my hand to be palm up. Taking a small dagger off his belt, I started to panic. You’re a pirate! Do something!
He flipped it over in his hand, putting the cool handle into my hand. Then he said, “Take this with you. To protect yourself.” He released me.
I looked over the dagger. It’s lightweight, sharp. The handle is scaled and the end curves into the head of a dragon holding an emerald green gem in its teeth. This is phenomenal blacksmithing.
“Why?” I asked.
“Be safe, Lucy Jones. We’ll meet again.” Jace winked and started to walk away with his friends following right behind him.
“Thank you,” I said. He gave a little wave before disappearing from my sight.
My heart was beating out of synch and I could feel heat in my cheeks. My hand tingled a little, savoring the feeling of his touch. What was that?