Status: Completed

The Island

Chapter 1: Lightning Before The Storm

“Wow Niki that’s so funny!” Carrie flipped her long red hair back onto Devin’s desk.
“Hey!” he said “there's someone sitting back here you know.”
“Yeah that’s great like we care at all.” Devin gave her such an awful look that if looks could kill, Carrie would have dropped dead on the spot. He then turned that look onto Niki, who returned his glare until he backed down. It was painfully obvious how much she hated him. And the fact that they had briefly dated made it all the worse. But being hated wasn’t exactly a new concept for Devin. His loud, obnoxious, know it all behavior made it very easy to hate him.
“You go girl!” said Carrie. You could see the dimples on her freckled cheeks. She knew the history between Devin and Niki and naturally, she took Niki’s side. After all, what were best friends for right?
At the same time on the other side of the room, the guys were hanging out watching some stupid video that they found on YouTube. They laughed loudly and pointed at the smart phone. The only guy who wasn’t laughing was Kyle. But he was always the shy one. He was friends with Cole, the class clown and famously known as the “love doctor” or sometimes the “matchmaker” He loved to set people up on dates and most of the time it worked out.
The other guys were Alec and Brian. Brian was bossy, like really bossy. And Alec was kind of like his ‘right hand man’ so to speak. Brian was the only one who Alec listened to other than the teachers and was known for being a Casanova. He was currently single which had the group of Vals giggling.
The Vals or Valley Girls group included Tiffany, the stuck up girl with bleach blonde hair, oversized nails and a mouth to match. Her best girlfriend was Brittany. Brittany was living proof that you didn’t need to blonde to be incredibly ditzy and stupid. They giggled and pointed at the guys, probably sizing them up as to which one was better. Also in this group was Derek. I know what you're thinking; Derek is a guy’s name. Well you'd be right. Derek was gay and happy as could be.
The last little ‘Clique’ as some could call it, was the Goths. This group included Tim and Vanessa. Vanessa was the leader of their little clique and was constantly drawing pictures of people being killed or people killing. Tim was like her little minion and practically worshiped the ground she walked on. They were sitting in the corner drawing little stars on a piece of paper.
Brian walked over to them and ripped the piece of paper from the desk.
“What’s this? A love note to Tim? ‘Dear Tim, I love you so much… ha-ha.”
“Brian you jerk give it back!” Vanessa shrieked.
“No, maybe I don’t want to give it back.” With that Vanessa lunged at Brian, trying to hop onto his back, pull his hair and scratch his face. When he managed to get away he held up the paper and pinched the top of it, threatening to rip it.
“Don’t you dare!” said Vanessa in a dangerously low voice. And before she could do more than gasp he split the paper right down the middle. Vanessa snatched the ruined paper from him and sat down by Tim, glaring back at Brian over her shoulder.
“Alright everyone settle down!” said the teacher Mr. Ross. His deep voice echoed through the small classroom. “Is everybody ready for the trip to France tomorrow?” The teens cheered in excitement. “Don’t forget to be here at three o clock sharp to take the bus to the airport and be sure to pack six days’ worth of clothes. Also remember to bring all of the necessities like a toothbrush and underwear.”
After that everyone went back to chatting. Tiffany was ranting and raving
“I can’t wait to go to France. Just think of all the cute French guys there’ll be. Oh la la.”
“I know right!” chimed Brittany “It’s going to be totally fabulous! I can’t wait for all of the white sandy beaches; I'm hoping to get a good tan.” She giggled stupidly and played with her fake hair. Devin overheard and stepped in to the conversation,
“Wow, you really are as stupid as you look; France is rainy and cold this time of year.”
“Oh yeah right, next thing you'll be telling me is that the people who live in Hungary aren't actually hungry.” Everyone in the room burst out laughing, even Vanessa and Tim. She looked around in confusion and tried, but failed, to support her argument.
“You guys will be sorry when we go to France and all of the hungry what’s-it are offended.” This only made the laughter worse. Brittany finally gave up and sat down looking defeated and pouting her bubblegum pink lips.
“It’s okay Brittany, they’re all just jealous of how smart you are.” Tiffany’s comment only made the class snicker more. So she also sat down and pursed her lips. It was so easy to tell that they were best friends.
“Alright everyone settle down!” Mr. Ross’s voice boomed over all of the laughter and chatter. “It’s time for you all to go now. Don’t forget to pack everything tonight and get a good night’s sleep.” The teens left in their groups. Carrie and Niki left together to have a sleepover before the trip, excited for tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little short but good background information! PLEASE leave comments/reviews