Status: Completed.

Different Dimension

Thirteen.

“Now everyone, I know you’re just dying to get out of this lecture hall to go home for Thanksgiving, those of you who are lucky enough to not have classes tomorrow, but…”

Zack’s teacher paused for dramatic effect, grinning as the class groaned. Zack just stayed silent – he was one of the unfortunates that actually did have a class tomorrow morning, Friday, but he knew plenty of people, including all of his friends, were going home today to celebrate Thanksgiving. Zack was a little torn about the whole thing, to be honest, because he wasn’t actually going home for Thanksgiving this year. Yes, that’s right, he wasn’t going home – his parents couldn’t get the time off work to come and pick him up (big surprise) and his sister was spending the time with her boyfriend’s family. He would have to stay on campus - hence why he was torn. On one hand, he didn’t have to sit through hours of mindless traffic on the highway on his long journey back down to Jacksonville, but on the other hand he was pretty sure he wouldn’t know anybody that was staying, if anyone was staying at all.

“…and with that, I bid you adieu!”

Whoops. He hoped none of that was important. Oh well! Alex just snickered at him, quickly realising Zack hadn’t been paying attention.

“You didn’t miss much. Just that we need to pick a book related to a lecture this week and prepare some analysis on it,”

“But it’s Thanksgiving!” Zack pouted.

Alex just shrugged, smiling in sympathy. Damn teachers.

With what he hoped was a friendly smile to the students sitting next to him (he really wasn’t awake, he’d been making out with Martin until way too late last night), Zack trudged out of the lecture hall, heading straight for the campus coffee bar, Alex trailing after. Thankfully, luck was on Zack’s side today, and Jack, Sierra and Tay were already sitting around a table, with chairs to spare.

“Go sit down. I’ll get us some coffee,” Alex mused.

“Have I told you that I love you?” Zack said, grinning.

“You’re not my type,” Alex said deadpan.

Zack just laughed, heading over to the table, earning waves from all three sitting down.

“Where’s Rian?” Zack asked, dumping his bag on the floor.

“He’s got a lab report to finish up before he heads home,” Jack winced.

Ouch.

His friends shared his grimace. Alex arrived seconds later with a cup of steaming hot black coffee, which Zack thanked him profusely for, earning an eye roll as Alex sat down.

“Have you figured out what you’re doing for Thanksgiving yet, Zack?” Sierra asked.

“No,” Zack sighed, “I still need to find a diner round here that won’t look too weird if I’m eating by myself,”

“You’re staying here?” Jack frowned.

Zack just nodded.

“Why?” Alex asked.

“My parents can’t get time off work to pick me up tomorrow and my sister is with her boyfriend’s family, so I’m literally stuck here,” Zack shrugged.

He wasn’t mad particularly – he was used to his parents putting their work first, it was what they did. He was just resigned to the fact that he’d be spending Thanksgiving alone.

“I would’ve taken Zack back to Florida with me, but I’m going back to Arizona with Kennedy,” Sierra added.

“Jacksonville is four hours from Fort Lauderdale,” Zack reminded her.

Because seriously? He couldn’t ask her to do that.

“It’s on the way, we could’ve stopped,” Sierra shot back, rolling her eyes fondly.

Zack just smiled, shaking his head. It was nice to have friends like this. The people he’d grown up with (Matt aside) would never have offered to do this for him.

“So what are you going to do?” Tay asked.

Zack sighed. “I really don’t know. Catch up on some reading, I guess?”

“Dude that sucks. What’s Martin doing?” Jack asked.

“Martin?” Zack frowned.

“Tattooed hot Junior that spends most of his time in your pants?” Jack offered, grinning.

Zack blushed heavily, making them all laugh. Hah, he wished. Martin wouldn’t even grope him, let alone be in Zack’s pants. Yeah, he hadn’t figured that out yet either.

“I hate you,” Zack muttered, “And I don’t know what he’s doing. I assume he’s going home,”

“You assumed wrong,” Sierra shrugged.

What?

Sierra just wiggled her phone at him. Damn it. Her cousin Kennedy knew way too much about their budding relationship already.

“That’s perfect! Martin’s staying here too!” Alex grinned.

“I didn’t say that. I only know that Martin’s not going home tonight. So you should call him and ask him what his plans are. You know he isn’t close with his family – maybe he’ll stay here for you,”

And Sierra knew too much too.

“I couldn’t ask him to do that,” Zack said, shaking his head.

“Why not?” Alex frowned.

“Because we’re not actually dating?” Zack pointed out.

“Yet,” Jack smirked.

Zack rolled his eyes. As much as he would like to be dating Martin, he knew the older boy needed to take things slow, if their lack of physical encounters were anything to go by. He just hoped Martin was keeping his distance out of respect and wanting to do things right before they were official and making love, rather than not actually wanting Zack. Because that would suck.

Did he just say making love in his head?

Yeah, he needed to get out more.

“Are you done having a conversation in your head?” Alex asked dryly.

Zack just blushed again, making the whole group laugh. Whoops. He didn’t realise he’d been that obvious.

“Good. Now go have a conversation with your boy,” Alex said simply.

“He’s not my boy,” Zack whined.

“Yet,” Jack grinned.

*

It took Zack until the end of the day to pluck up the courage to call Martin. He knew Martin had some last minute work to do so he didn’t want to disrupt him, because apparently Italian Studies liked setting essays and Martin on an essay rant was not something he wanted to see (or so Paul said). Unfortunately Rian was in the room as Zack finally took the chance to call, but he knew he needed to get it out of the way.

Why was he so nervous? Well, this was something completely new to him, opening up to someone like this. Yes, Martin wasn’t the best at talking about emotions, and yes, his ex Matt was exactly the same, but where Matt used to just take charge (in a good way, of course), Martin always waited for Zack’s input – and he was still getting used to asking for what he wanted. He knew he’d be fine with it after a little practice, but it was hard, okay? He cared about Martin and he didn’t want to mess this up, whatever they were.

Zack waited until Rian was suitably distracted with packing his bags to dial Martin’s number.

“Hey,”

“Hey,” Zack murmured shyly.

How could Martin make him feel like such a teenage schoolgirl, when he wasn’t even in the room?

“Are you okay?”

“Yeah, why?”

“You don’t usually call me…”

Zack could hear the teasing in Martin’s voice, unable stop the light blush that rose to his cheeks.

“I, um, I wanted to ask you something,” Zack said.

“If it’s illegal, then I’m saying no,”

“It’s not illegal,” Zack blurted.

Rian laughed at him. Damn it. He was meant to be distracted.

“So what’s up?”

“Um…whatareyoudoingforthanksgiving?”

Rian just laughed harder. Zack glared at him, but Rian didn’t stop.

“Can you repeat that?”

Great. Martin was laughing too.

“Never mind, I’ll see you next week,” Zack muttered.

“Wait!”

Zack swallowed heavily, taking his thumb off the ‘end call’ button.

“What did you ask me?”

Zack took a deep breath. “What are you doing for Thanksgiving?”

“Oh! Um, I’m not doing anything actually. My parents are visiting my Uncle, who is inherently homophobic, so I’ve been given a free pass to not go home,”

Zack inhaled sharply. Martin wasn’t going home! Sierra was right!

“You’re not going home?” Zack asked.

“No, I’m staying on campus. Which kinda sucks because I don’t know anyone else who’s staying too…”

“I’m staying,” Zack interrupted, his grin way too wide.

“What?”

“I’m staying too. As in, I’m not going home, I’ll be on campus too so we could…y’know…stay together,”

By this point, Rian was on the floor laughing, only making Zack blush more at his word vomit.

“Shut up Rian!” Zack hissed.

“I’m sorry, I’m sorry, but you are so damn awkward! It’s comedy gold, I swear,” Rian cackled.

Zack just threw a shoe at him, before returning his attention to his phone.

“Sorry, my roommate’s being a dick,” Zack mumbled, sticking his tongue out at Rian.

“That’s okay. Paul would be giving me grief too, if we still roomed together,”

Yeah, Zack could see that happening.

“So do you want to?” Zack prompted.

“Want to what?”

Seriously, this guy was so slow sometimes.

“Oh! Yeah, I, um, I’d like to spend Thanksgiving with you,”

That was more like it.

“Great. I’ve got classes until 12, so I’ll meet you after?” Zack said happily.

“Sounds perfect,”

Zack couldn’t stop the way his stomach flipped in excitement. This was going to be the best weekend ever. And now that he’d taken one step, made himself take charge for the first time, asked for something he wanted, then who knew where this could lead? He knew he could do anything with Martin now, now that this attempt had gone so well.

“Hey, Zack, sorry to interrupt, but Sierra wants us all to go out for dinner, before everyone leaves,” Rian said.

Zack groaned, but nodded his head. It would be nice to spend the remainder of the evening with his friends – he would get Martin to himself for the next three days, after all.

“I’m sure you heard that, so I’ve got to go,” Zack apologised.

“Yeah, I heard it. Go have fun, I’ll see you tomorrow,”

Zack smiled and ended the call, before stuffing his phone into his pocket along with his dorm key and wallet. Yeah, his life was good right now.

“Looks like you won’t be alone for Thanksgiving after all,” Rian grinned.

Zack just grinned back.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a fun one, to show how Zack's friendships are developing, and to show how adorably awkward he is with Martin.
^_^
The next one has a different kind of fun in it ;)

Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter, and to the following for commenting!
I really do appreciate your opinions and feedback, so please keep it coming!

jagk-baracat
Ace Lightning.
Tattoo
fiction246
Forever Young.

xo