Status: Completed.

Different Dimension

Nineteen.

Zack arrived back on campus a few days before classes started in January, like his friends had arranged too before they left for the winter break. Martin had also said he’d be back today, so that was something. To be honest, Zack’s winter break had been fantastic. He’d spent so much time with Matt again, including New Year’s Eve, and he’d had such a great time with him. They had been friends before they dated, after all, and Matt’s still his best friend now, and that wasn’t going to change. And being able to spend time with his usually-absent family had been nice too. Zack knew he wasn’t all that close with his parents, but he did get to spend a couple of days with them when they weren’t working, and getting to spend the rest of his time with his sister was a bonus.

There was one thing bothering Zack though. Martin had barely replied to any of his texts since New Year’s Eve, and today he’d been completely absent, not replying to any of Zack’s texts. It was bugging him, to be honest. It wasn’t like Martin to blank him like this. Zack couldn’t bear the thought of Martin having found someone different, someone better over the winter break.

He was completely confused.

Had he done something wrong?

Rian was already back in the dorm when Zack walked in, the two of them bro-hugging before Rian flopped down on his bed, grinning.

“Feels like I haven’t seen you in ages, man! How are you?”

“I’m okay,” Zack murmured.

Rian snorted. “Bullshit,”

Wow. Was he that obvious?

“Martin’s barely spoken to me, and he’s been ignoring me all day,” Zack sighed.

“Shit, seriously? What happened?” Rian grimaced.

“I have no idea! Up until New Year’s Eve he was fine, then it’s been occasional one word responses, and then today it’s been nothing!” Zack grumbled.

“I’m sure everything’s fine, right?” Rian said hopefully.

Zack just shrugged. With Martin, who knew? Before Rian could say anything further, someone knocked on their door, swinging open to reveal Paul. Oh great.

“Hey guys! Welcome back!” Paul said cheerfully.

Rian and Paul exchanged pleasantries, Zack just staying silent, his thoughts consuming him. Why hadn’t Martin replied? Was this his way of saying he didn’t want to be with Zack anymore? What had happened?

“…and there’s a bonfire tonight for celebrate the return to campus, so I’ll knock for you around 8pm. That okay, Zack?”

Zack snapped out of his thoughts

“What’s wrong with you?” Paul asked, frowning.

Zack sighed. “Nothing,”

Rian just snorted.

“Martin isn’t answering his texts and Zack doesn’t know why,” Rian said, earning a glare from Zack.

Traitor.

Paul frowned even more. “Is this true?”

Damn it.

Zack nodded. “I’ve texted him at least six times, with a decent amount of time in between each text, but he hasn’t replied to any of them,”

“I’m sure it’s nothing. His phone might just be turned off,” Paul said, reassuringly.

Zack smiled weakly. Martin never turned his phone off. Ever.

“Yeah. You’re probably right,” Zack said, forcing a smile.

“Chin up, yeah? I’ll see you two later, for the welcome back bonfire,” Paul grinned.

As soon as Paul left, Zack flopped down onto his bed.

“It is probably nothing, you know that right?” Rian said, echoing their RA.

“I don’t know. I mean, I hope so, but something just doesn’t feel right,” Zack sighed.

Something doesn’t feel right at all.

“Give him, like, until 5pm then go over to his dorm. He can’t refuse you if you’re at his door,” Rian suggested.

“That’s a horrible idea,” Zack groaned.

But it was the only one that made any sense.

*

At 5pm on the dot, Zack knocked on Martin’s door. He’d moped all day in his dorm, Rian eventually kicking him out because he was getting pathetic. He couldn’t blame him, to be fair. But he still didn’t understand why Martin wouldn’t respond to him. He hadn’t done anything wrong!

For quite a while, there was nothing. And Zack was about to give up and walk away, when he heard shuffling, and the door slowly creaked open. Zack offered a smile, but as soon as Martin saw him, his mouth pursed tightly. What the hell?

“Can I come in?”

Martin hesitated before nodding, opening the door properly. Zack felt his stomach turn uneasily, unhappy butterflies humming away. What was wrong?

“Um, are you okay?” Zack asked, rubbing the back of his neck.

“What do you think, Zack?” Martin asked sharply.

Okay, enough.

“What’s going on? Why are you mad at me?” Zack frowned.

“You’re kidding me, right?” Martin scoffed.

“No! I don’t know why you’re angry! You haven’t replied to my texts all day and I don’t know if I’ve done something wrong!” Zack retorted, tone slightly desperate.

“Unbelievable. Really, Zack. You sent me a photo of yourself on New Years’ Eve with some guy draped over you, kissing your cheek – what am I supposed to think about that?” Martin growled.

What?

Oh, wait, that was just meant to say Happy New Year…

“That’s just Matt,” Zack said softly.

“Who the fuck is Matt?” Martin spluttered.

Well, Zack couldn’t really think of a way to say this without it looking bad.

“Matt’s one of my only friends back home,” he started.

“And…?” Martin prompted.

Zack sighed. “He’s my ex. My only ex,”

Martin’s jaw dropped slightly.

“You’re still friends with your ex? What the fuck, Zack?” Martin exploded.

Zack flinched slightly at how loud his voice was.

“Hey, it’s not that big a deal! We ended it amicably when he left for college, hell he’s even dating another guy now too! Why are you making me feel bad about this?” Zack protested.

“Because it’s not normal Zack! It’s not normal to be that close to your ex without old feelings hanging about!” Martin retorted angrily.

Zack jerked backwards like he’d been slapped. Martin…Martin thought he was going to cheat on him? That he’d cheat on him with Matt?

“You think I still have feelings for Matt?” Zack asked softly, hurt dripping from his voice.

Martin’s anger cut down quickly and he swallowed heavily, clearly realising how upset Zack was, but he just shrugged. “I don’t know. Do you?”

Zack laughed, a short harsh laugh, as tears stung at his eyes. This wasn’t fair. This wasn’t fucking fair.

“If that’s what you really think of me, then I’m not going to waste my time here,”

Now it was Martin’s turn to look confused.

“What?” Martin said.

“You don’t trust me! Do you really think I would’ve started a relationship with someone else if I still loved Matt? Fuck, you’re such an asshole!” Zack spat.

Matt was right. Martin really was an asshole.

Zack turned and stormed over to the door, but Martin beat him to it, shooting his hand out to keep it closed. Fucker.

“Zack, wait, just listen…”

“No, you listen,” Zack interrupted sharply, too mad to be polite, “I don’t deserve to get treated like this for being friends with Matt. Not by you. You are mean to trust me. He’s one of the only friends I have back home, and I’m not losing him just because you’re insecure,”

Martin was silent for a few seconds, Zack just desperately willing his tears not to fall. Why was this happening? This wasn’t how he wanted to discuss Matt with Martin!

“I don’t want to lose you,” Martin said quietly.

Seriously? Fucking seriously?

“You have a fucking good way of showing it!” Zack scowled.

Martin groaned, running his hands over his head. Zack just folded his arms over his chest, unimpressed, but mainly just to hold himself together. He was so close to breaking down in tears.

“I’m sorry, okay? That photo really got to me because it’s obvious how much he cares for you, just the way he’s looking at you. And the fact that he’s kissing you so tenderly on the cheek. I’ve never met anyone who’s still friends with their ex that isn’t sleeping with them. But I shouldn’t have jumped to conclusions,” Martin eventually said.

“No, you shouldn’t have,” Zack said sharply, swallowing the lump in his throat.

Martin sighed, daring to reach his hand out and place it on Zack’s waist. Zack wanted to smack it away but he just couldn’t bring himself to do it. It was like all the fight drained out of him at Martin’s touch.

“I don’t know if I can be in a relationship with you if you don’t trust me. Especially around Matt,” Zack managed to say.

Martin’s breath hitched in his throat. Good.

“If you say that nothing happened, honestly say it, then I will believe you,” Martin said softly.

“I shouldn’t have to say it!” Zack exasperated.

Martin whimpered in defeat, nodding. But he looked so anxious, so desperate for the reassurance, that Zack sighed.

“Nothing happened and nothing has happened since we broke up. Not even once,” Zack muttered.

Martin stayed silent for a couple of seconds, before nodding.

“Okay,” he murmured, “I’m really sorry, Zack. I didn’t mean to upset you. I was wrong,”

“You should’ve just asked me. I had nothing to hide and it would’ve saved all of this,” Zack grumbled.

“Can you forgive me?”

Zack just nodded.

He could forgive this, because it really was just a lack of communication, but he wouldn’t forget it for a while.

“Let me take you out to dinner, to apologise,” Martin suggested, stepping forward in hope.

“You don’t have to,” Zack replied, shaking his head.

“But I want to,” Martin said, offering a smile, “I think you deserve that much at least,”

Well, dinner couldn’t hurt to repair these little cracks, could it? Even if it was just for now.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow.
Martin really overreacted.
Or was he justified?
Just so you know, this doesn't go away quite so easily yet!
:)

Thank you to everyone who read the last chapter, and to the following for commenting! Please keep your feedback coming, I really do appreciate it.

Ace Lightning.
xMareBear14x
Tattoo
fiction246
beccaadianee

xo