Status: Completed.

Different Dimension

Twenty-Seven.

“So what are your plans for Spring Break?”

Zack smiled up at Martin after Alex’s question, from where his head was in his boyfriend’s lap. All of Zack’s friends and all of Martin’s friends were in Kennedy’s house, a last get together before everyone left for their Spring Break plans. Zack already knew that Alex, Jack, Rian, Rian’s current girlfriend Cass and a bunch of Cass’s friends were heading down to South Padre Island for the week, but he didn’t know what anyone else was doing.

“I’m heading to Tay’s for the week, to celebrate her birthday,” Sierra explained.

Zack nodded, smiling. They’d celebrated Tay’s birthday last night, so at least they hadn’t forgotten her.

“Kennedy and I are going back home to Tempe – loads of our high school buddies are throwing parties, so we thought why not?” John explained.

Fair enough.

“I’m staying on campus – it was either go home to an empty house because my parents are on vacation, or get paid to watch over freshmen staying on campus. It was a no brainer,” Paul shrugged.

Ouch. Sure, Paul was getting paid to stay, but still…

“What about you two?” Rian asked.

Zack flashed a smile at his dormmate, before smiling back up at his boyfriend.

Here goes nothing!

“I’m taking Zack home to meet my family,” Martin explained, smiling down at Zack.

“Aww!” Tay and Sierra cooed.

“Oh man, already?” John grimaced.

Kennedy punched John in the arm.

“I think it’s great that you’re taking such a big step,” Kennedy said with a smile, punching John in the arm again.

“At least I only have one freshman to worry about this Spring Break,” Paul shrugged, “makes my life easier knowing that Martin’s mom will baby Zack like the adorable woodland creature he is, rather than get him wasted on cheap alcohol, unlike some,”

Rian just grinned. Martin blushed slightly, but Zack smiled up at him. It was true – Zack was going up to Long Island to spend the week with Martin, and to meet Martin’s family. He was incredibly nervous, to be honest, but still quite excited. Kennedy was right – this was a big step for them.

“Dude you know the point of Spring Break is to go wild and party, right?” Jack teased.

Zack just shrugged. The town Martin grew up in, and where his family still lived, was Huntington, Long Island, and there was plenty to do there. Martin had been firing ideas at him ever since they decided to go.

“I’d rather spend my time taking a bike ride around Caumsett Park,” Zack grinned.

“And Oyster Bay is only a 15 minute drive away – there’s a beautiful Arboretum we can walk through, as well as Sagamore Hill National Historic site,” Martin added.

“Didn’t you say that Roosevelt’s house is on that site?” Zack asked.

“Aww, you do listen!” Martin grinned.

Jack and Sierra made retching sounds while the others just laughed.

“My God you two are sickening,” Jack groaned.

“Keep your sappy love-filled Spring Break to yourselves,” John grimaced.

“Oh hush, you’re just jealous,” Zack grinned.

“If it makes any difference, I think the Aquarium in Riverhead is great,” Rian said, shrugging.

“Don’t encourage them!” Alex groaned.

Martin ignored them all, leaning down to press a gentle kiss to Zack’s lips. Zack couldn’t stop the grin that spread across his lips, laughing against Martin’s mouth as a chorus of protests sounded.

“Way to ruin the moment guys,” Martin muttered, sitting upright.

Zack batted at his stomach, still laughing.

Later,” Zack mouthed, winking.

“Eurgh, yeah, okay, I saw that and I’m drawing the line,” Paul grimaced.

Martin just grinned.

*

Time passed quicker than Zack realised, and soon enough they were on the train up to Long Island, ready to spend Spring Break with Martin’s family. The plan was a three hour train journey to Port Jefferson, and then Martin’s mom was picking them up to drive them the final part back to Martin’s house. Martin had apologised for the broken up journey, but Zack honestly preferred it this way. He knew that Martin was super close to his mom, so Zack thought it would be better to meet her first before meeting everyone else.

And it went without a hitch. Martin’s mom had immediately pulled Zack into a hug, to which Zack enthusiastically hugged back, Martin watching with an amused expression. What? Zack liked hugs and if hugs were going to win Martin’s mom over then he’d give them without hesitation.

It didn’t take long for the three of them to get to the car, Martin pulling Zack into the back seat with him.

“So…I’ve fixed a light lunch ready for you boys when we get back, and then everyone else will be arriving at 3 for the barbecue,”

A barbecue. Nice.

“Everyone else?” Martin asked tightly.

“Of course! Aunt Sue, Uncle Joe and their three boys, Aunt Harriet, Uncle Bernie and their two girls, Aunt Sarah, Uncle Bill and their two boys, as well as grandma and grandpa,”

Oh wow.

“You invited the whole family over?!” Martin yelped.

“I thought it might be nice for everyone to meet Zack!” she defended, although she glanced in the rearview mirror nervously.

“Over time, yeah. God, mom, you don’t think it’s overwhelming at all?” Martin exasperated.

Zack just chewed his bottom lip. While Martin was right, that it was a bit overwhelming meeting so many people at once, he could tell Martin’s mom meant well. She hadn’t done it to be mean – she’d done it because she was excited.

“I guess it gets the introductions over with all at once?” Zack offered.

Martin pressed his lips together in a thin line, unimpressed, but slipped his hand into Zack’s, threading their fingers together. Zack relaxed slightly, leaning into Martin’s body, waiting until he could feel the tension drain from his boyfriend to smile.

“It’ll be okay, y’know that right?” Zack murmured.

“You don’t know that,” Martin muttered back, glaring slightly at his mom.

“Hey, look at me,” Zack said softly.

Zack rubbed his thumb back and forth on Martin’s hand until he did so.

“I do know everything’s going to be alright, because I love you. Nothing’s going to change that,” Zack said seriously.

Martin’s breath hitched in his throat, but a small smile spread across his stubborn lips. That was the reaction he wanted.

“I love you too,” Martin said softly.

“Good,” Zack beamed.

Martin laughed as Zack lifted his hand to his lips, kissing it gently, relaxing even more. Zack smiled, catching Martin’s mom’s eyes in the mirror, and she just looked like she was going to cry. Happy tears? Hopefully.

*

The barbecue was…intense. Yeah, that’s probably the best word for it. Zack had just about enough time to settle in to Martin’s room before all the family members arrived, and by the time food was being served, Zack was surrounded by people, Martin clinging desperately to his side. He’d been quizzed on his university choices, his future plans, his family, his childhood, even his intention with Martin. Martin was right, it had been overwhelming, but he’d survived, and that was the main thing.

Now he was just sitting in the living room with Martin, and Martin’s parents, the four of them watching TV to relax.

“I’m going to get another drink. Do you want anything, Zack?” Martin asked.

“Could I have a glass of water please?” Zack asked, smiling.

“Of course,” Martin said, smiling back.

He checked with his parents, who both said no, before leaving Zack alone with them. Oh wow. This was the first time he’d been alone with just the two of them. Fingers crossed he didn’t say anything stupid.

“You can relax, y’know. We’re not going to start an inquisition with Martin out of the room,” Martin’s dad mused.

Zack blushed slightly, offering a sheepish smile, making them both laugh.

“We like you, if that helps you relax at all,” his mom added.

They liked him? Really? Oh that was a relief.

“Thanks,” was all Zack was able to reply.

“We can really see a change in Martin, and we’re both convinced it’s because of you,”

“What do you mean?” Zack frowned.

Martin’s parents exchanged a fond smile, before looking back at Zack.

“He’s so much happier. We could tell that even over Skype,” his mom explained.

“It’s like he has something to look forward to every day,”

Zack blushed a little more. “I doubt I affect him that much,”

He knew Martin was grumpy, but seriously?

“Oh, but you do!” his mom said, “Martin has always been far too serious, I’m sure you’ve noticed that,”

“Grumpy, cynical and serious,” Martin’s dad added.

Well Zack could agree with them there.

“He was brooding constantly, especially as a teenager, always scowling and thinking the worst of everything. Sure, it wasn’t easy being gay in high school like he was, but he didn’t have it too badly. We thought he would break out of it at college and he kinda did, but not enough. But this year…we’ve really seen a positive change,”

“He smiles nearly all the time, there’s a lightness in his voice, he laughs more than we’ve ever heard him…” Martin’s dad listed.

Oh wow.

“You’re good for him, Zack. That’s all,”

Zack’s heart swelled with pride, a big grin spreading across his lips. They really approved of him. Martin’s parents were happy for him to be in their son’s life.

“Thank you. I think he’s good for me too,” Zack said shyly.

The smiles he got back from Martin’s parents made all the mushiness worth it.

“Why are you smiling like that? What have you been talking about?”

Zack laughed at the suspicion in Martin’s voice, even more so at the frown his boyfriend wore as he sat back down.

“We’re just talking about how I’m the light of your life,” Zack teased.

Martin blushed heavily, groaning. “I hate all of you,”

“Sure you do, sweetheart,” his mom snickered.

Zack just beamed at him, unrelenting until Martin rolled his eyes and smiled back. That was better.

“Now, I believe I was promised baby photo albums?” Zack said cheerfully.

Martin’s mom ran from the room in glee before Martin could even protest.
♠ ♠ ♠
They are so cute!
^_^

This will be my last update before Christmas, unfortunately! I'm aiming to write my chapter of 'A Moment' before I leave for my week in France, but you'll have to wait until January to find out more about Martin and Zack! :)

Also, I wrote a one-shot called Beautiful and I would love if you could read it if you haven't already!

Thanks to everyone who read and commented on the last chapter! And thank you for being so patient with me!

xMareBear14x
fiction246
Tattoo
AnimalAnnise

xo