Status: Completed.

Different Dimension

Twenty-Nine.

“So who’s up for a party tonight?”

Zack looked up from his books to see Jack grinning in the doorway.

“Tonight? As in…now?” Zack frowned.

“Yup!” Jack said cheerfully.

Rian rolled his eyes but laughed. “And where did you get a party invite from, huh Jack?”

“I know people,” Jack shrugged, still grinning, “Are you in or not? Alex already asked the girls and they’re up for it so…it’s just you two,”

Zack looked over at Rian, who shrugged.

“Sure. Beats studying anyway,” Zack nodded.

This essay wasn’t going to get finished tonight regardless, so why not have some fun?

“Great! You have 15 minutes to get ready!” Jack trilled, before disappearing.

“Asshat,” Rian scowled, pulling his t-shirt over his head.

Zack laughed, nodding his agreement. Dick move, Jack.

*

In no time at all, Zack was walking with his friends down to an unknown location, Jack leading the way (which was dangerous in its own right).

“You alright going to a party without your boy, Jacksonville?” Sierra teased.

“Shut up,” Zack grumbled.

He could function perfectly well without Martin, thank you! Although…he probably should tell Martin that he’s going out. Sometimes Martin dropped by his dorm unannounced, and he really didn’t want his boyfriend to do that tonight. Awkward much. Sierra giggled and skipped over to Tay as Zack pulled his phone out of his pocket, but he ignored her. He couldn’t focus on her teasing as well as walking and texting simultaneously.

To: Martin
From: Zack

Hey, I’m going to a party tonight, so don’t wait up for me! Xx


That would do, right?

To: Zack
From: Martin

Have fun! Where is it? Xx


Uh…

Zack had no idea…

“Uh, Jack? Where are we going?”

“Somewhere off 42nd. Just past the grocery store – I’ll know it when I see it,” Jack shrugged.

Helpful.

To: Martin
From: Zack

I don’t know the address, but I know it’s not far from the grocery store off 42nd? xx


Zack’s phone didn’t buzz again until they were just outside the house (and to be fair, Jack’s directions weren’t far off).

To: Zack
From: Martin

Be careful, okay? And have fun. Love you xx


Zack couldn’t help the grin that spread over his lips, earning an eye roll from Rian.

To: Martin
From: Zack

Love you too xx


Zack shoved his phone back in his pocket, walking into the house behind his friends. Jack led them to the kitchen, bumping fists with a guy who was on the verge of drunk already. Nice.

“Shots! Shots for everyone!”

Alex immediately downed two. Holy shit. That’s not normal.

Everyone in the room cheered, but Zack just frowned. He tugged on Alex’s arm to pull him to the side of the room, to get them out of earshot.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Zack asked quietly.

Alex gritted his teeth slightly. “I confronted John, after we talked the other day. Turns out that he doesn’t particularly care about me after all. I really was just a warm hole to stick his dick into,”

“Hey, don’t talk about yourself like that,” Zack scowled.

“Why not? That’s all I was to him. Easy sex. I just…I feel so stupid. I knew that it was casual when we first fucked but somehow I tricked myself into thinking that because I had fallen for him as we continued sleeping together, then he would’ve fallen for me in return,” Alex sighed, “But I was wrong and I won’t make that mistake again,”

“Alex, I…”

“Save it, Zack. I know you mean well, but tonight I just want to forget,” Alex scowled.

Zack hesitated, before nodding. If that was what Alex wanted…

“Alright, if you’re sure. I am sorry,” Zack said, smiling weakly.

“Yeah. Me too,” Alex sighed.

His expression softened briefly, reflecting the sadness in his eyes, before it hardened again, Alex turning around to grab a drink. No, this wasn’t right. He couldn’t let Alex let himself go like this. It wasn’t fair. Chewing his bottom lip, Zack pulled his phone out of his pocket again.

To: Martin
From: Zack

Hey, I’m only sending this one last text, don’t send one back, I won’t reply. John is an asshole. He needs to apologise to Alex right now. Like, seriously right now, or Alex is going to do something stupid that he’ll regret. John has really hurt him and getting stupidly drunk while upset is just not a good idea right now. Alex was really falling for him and now considers himself a cheap whore, which is so far from what he deserves. If he gets any drunker, I can just see him sleeping with whoever comes up to him first, and he is better than that. Please talk to John. I don’t like seeing Alex like this. Love you xx


There. At least Zack had attempted to help. At least now he could party without anything weighing down on his conscience.

“Zack! Grab a beer, buddy!” Jack said cheerfully.

Zack grinned, accepting a newly-opened bottle from Rian, tucking his phone into his pocket again.

“WE LIKE TO DRINK WITH ALEX,
‘COS ALEX IS OUR MATE,
AND WHEN WE DRINK WITH ALEX,
WE DRINK IT DOWN IN 8…
7…
6…”

*

Zack didn’t know how much time had passed into the party, the hours blurring with every shot, with every beer. All he knew was that he was warm and fuzzy and wanted to dance – there was nothing wrong with that, right?

So Zack headed to the makeshift dancefloor by himself, getting stuck right in the middle so all he could do was sway. That was probably for the best. He wasn’t a great dancer at the best of times, let alone when his head was spinning and closing his eyes made pretty colours flare up. He liked this level of drunk. He felt happy.

Then two arms slid round his waist, a body pressing up behind his own. No! No touching!

“I’m sorry, but I have a boyfriend and only he gets to hold me,” Zack slurred.

“Good to know you remember that even when drunk,” a familiar voice murmured.

Yes!

“Martin!” Zack said happily, spinning around in his arms

Martin just grinned, pressing a slow but firm kiss to Zack’s lips, making his head spin even more. Wow, the effect this boy had on him.

“What are you doing here?” Zack asked happily.

“I spoke to John, like you asked, and he didn’t like the idea of Alex sleeping with someone else. He also didn’t mean to make Alex this upset,” Martin explained.

Oh. Whoops.

Wait, was this a good thing?

Zack couldn’t tell right now.

“Well he did. He’s an assface,” Zack grumbled.

No-one gets to treat Zack’s friends like that.

“Uh huh. How much have you drunk?” Martin mused.

“Enough to make dancing seem like a good idea,” Zack shrugged.

Martin just laughed, pressing a soft kiss to Zack’s lips, Zack whining in protest as Martin pulled away.

“Come on, let’s get you some water,” Martin mused.

“But I want to dance!” Zack whined.

Martin rolled his eyes, but was still smiling. “We’ll dance after you drink some water, okay?”

“Can we make out too?” Zack asked hopefully.

“Duh,” Martin grinned.

Looks like tonight turned out alright after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh Alex :(
At least Zack had a nice time!

Just in case any of you are interested, I have started a new co-write slash! This one is called Ohana and I will be writing it with Unexpected. We're both so excited for it and have so many ideas, so please check it out if you have a chance!

Thank you all for reading! Please keep your comments and feedback coming :)

fiction246
Tattoo

xo