Savior

The House That Sean Had Bought

.:Angie's POV:.

The diner was not too busy but it was not dead slow either. As I was taking a family of four's order, my eyes would glance over to Brian who would either be looking out the window as he ripped apart his napkin into tiny pieces or he would be on his phone.

Smiling at the family and telling them their food will be out momentarily, I made my way to the kitchen. Quickly fixing up our special burger and homemade fries and a soda, I made my way over to Brian and set the food down in front of him.

"What's all this?" He asked, eyebrow raised. "I didn't order anything."

"No, you didn't." I smiled. "It's on the house. Thought you may be hungry since you didn't get to order earlier thanks to uh, that confrontation. I'm really-"

"Please don't say you're sorry." Brian interrupted me, holding up his hand. "You have nothing to apologize for. I was happy to have beat the shit out of that guy for you. Does your husband know about that guy?"

"M-My husband?" A sharp pain shot through my heart, Sean's smiling face appearing in my head.

Brian's head tilted slightly, worry crossing his face. "Hey. Are you okay?" He asked softly, grabbing my hand.

"Angie! Food for table 9!" Marty, our chef, called.

Snapping out of my daze, I shook my head as I pulled my hand out of Brian's. "I-I'm fine."

Quickly scurrying away from Brian, I grabbed table 9's lunch and served it to them. I took a few more tables orders, making sure I kept my eyes away from Brian's curious gaze.

Walking by Brian, he quickly grabbed my wrist and forced me to look at him. Look into his sad brown eyes.

"Did I say something wrong? I'm sorry." He frowned more.

I shook my head, looking away from him. "It's nothing."

Once again I pulled my wrist from his grasp, thankfully he let me go without a scene. I went back into the kitchen and sat on the floor with my back pressed against the wall, placing my head between my knees as I fought the tears that stung.

I felt someone sit beside me and wrap their arms around me. It wasn't Brian. Their arms were too skinny and they smelled of tangerines.

Hugging Linda back, I let the tears go. Mumbling Sean's name over and over again. Wishing that he was still here, wishing that I had fought more to keep them home that dreadful night.

"There, there, mama." Linda kissed my head. "Why don't you go home? I'll take over your tables. Go home and feel better. Okay? Have a glass of wine on me."

I shook my head. "Lynn, I couldn't-"

"Hey, brown eyes!" Linda yelled over to Brian, waving him over.

Brian made his way over, his empty plate in hand. "Yes? Is she okay?"

Linda nodded, taking the empty plate from him. "She'll be fine, Darlin'. Just take her home for me?"

Brian nodded, helping me to my feet. "No problem."

"Hey?" Linda stopped Brian, grabbing his arm and looking him right in the eyes. "I don't know who you are or who you think you are. But I find out you hurt my Angie? You best be runnin' pretty boy. She's like a little sister to me and I don't make threats. I make promises."

Brian nodded. "She'll be safe with me, Ma'am."

Soon Brian wrapped his large arm around my shoulders and hugged me close to his body, walking us out of the diner and just looking around.

"Uh," Brian looked all around him. "Where do you live?"

Sniffling, I pulled away from him. "This way."

Crossing my arms over my chest, I began walking down Archer Street. I could hear Brian's feet jogging to catch up with me.

It was a long, quiet walk to my house. Thankfully Brian didn't bring up what happened at the diner.

Letting us inside, I kicked my shoes off by the door and wandered into the kitchen for a glass of water.

"You may want to call your friends and tell them where we are so they don't go to the diner and see we left them." I called out to Brian, looking out the window over the sink.

I didn't hear a response from Brian for a few minutes, which caught my full attention as I made my way over to the front door. He wasn't there. I checked the living room which was in the next room, I spotted Brian staring at a picture.

Walking up behind him, I could see what picture it was clearly.

"That's Gabriel and Sean." I informed him, making him jump. "Sorry."

"Sean is your husband, right?" He asked.

Looking down at my left hand, staring where my ring once rested, I shook my head. "Not anymore."

Brian paused. "... You're divorced?"

I shook my head once more. "Widowed."

Staring at my hand still, a few traitor tears trickled down my cheeks. I watched as Brian's large hand grab mine, his other hand pinching my chin and making me look up into his eyes.

"I'm sorry for your loss. I may not know him, but from the pictures I can tell he really adored you and your boy. You're a strong and beautiful woman, Angie. Never forget that." He pulled me into a tight hug, and I just broke down.

My legs gave out from under me but Brian just tightened his arms more, supporting all my weight with ease. Letting me stain his shirt with my tears.

I don't know which was worse.

The loss of my dearly loved husband who blessed me with a beautiful boy and a warm home or the fact that I was alone with an attractive man that I didn't even know in the house that Sean had bought?