You Can Be My Romeo

Chapter Three

“So what do you think?” she asked excitedly and I smiled when I climbed out of my mom’s car and looked at the home, it was in the woods, really pretty, quiet, was only about a half hour away from work.

“It’s beautiful,” I said and Anna giggled and nodded her head, “Why are you moving?”

“My boyfriend invited me to live with him and it’s closer to my second job.”

“You’ve got two jobs?” I asked and she nodded her head, “Where?”

“I help my mom in her bakery in the city, I’m there a lot- Though, I’m off this week because I’m moving,” she said and I nodded my head, “So you wanna go in?”

“Yeah!” I smiled and she nodded her head and we headed for the door, walking up the four concrete steps and onto the little porch.

Anna opened the screen door and we walked in, she had the front door opened already. We walked into the living room, everything was hardwood and I loved it. Everything was open, and kept in good condition, I was falling in love with the place and I had just taken only three steps inside.

“Well?”

“Wow,” I said and she laughed and pulled me deeper into the house, it had a cozy feeling and I enjoyed that, I wanted that homey feeling. She took me thought the kitchen, living room, dining room, little den area, there was a backyard and I liked that everything was fenced in, ‘…She’s giving me a deal with it being only six hundred a month- What’s the catch?...’ I thought and we went back into the home, up the stairs to the second floor. It wasn’t much, just a small hallway with two doors, one for each bedroom, but when we walked into each bedroom, it was pretty awesome, each bedroom had their own bathroom and then there was a half bathroom downstairs, “What’s wrong with it?”

“Excuse me?” Anna asked and I looked at her.

“Six hundred a month? Girl that’s cheap for this place!” I said and she giggled, “What’s wrong with it?”

“Other than the location for me- Nothing,” she said and I looked at her, “I’ll have a person come over and check out the place to make sure everything’s in good condition before anyone moves in- But, do you like it?”

“I love it.”

“I thought you might,” Anna smiled, “Um, it is first and last month’s rent, and then you’re in charge of everything except the sewer and trash.”

“All right, so twelve hundred- When do you need that?”

“When you’re ready to take it- I’m telling you, if you don’t make that by this weekend during our busy days- Then there’s no hope for you at that job,” Anna said and I smirked.

“Everyone keeps telling me that it’ll be busy.”

“You’ll be losing your mind- Trust me girl,” she said and I nodded my head, “But you’ll make a shit ton of tips.”

“All right, I kind of need to get a car too, I can’t keep borrowing my mom’s- Especially if I live here,” I said and Anna nodded her head, “But I really like this.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Jewels?” I heard and looked up and my eyes widened.

‘…Shit…’

“What the hell girl,” he laughed, “When did you get back into down?”

“Uh, last week,” I said and he smiled brightly, “What can I get ya, Mikey?”

“Three beers and maybe some company,” he said smiling brightly.

“You Neal’s and your damn charm,” I laughed and handed him three bottles of beers of the kind I knew for a fact that he drank.

“You know us so well,” Mike said as he and two of his friends took their seats at the bar and I continued to clean glasses, “So how long have you had this job?”

“Honestly?” I laughed and he nodded his head, “This is my second day.”

“Aw, well you and Bridge are best friends- Only natural to hook you up with a job,” he said and took a swig of his beer, “Sorry about you and Jimmy,” I snapped up and looked at him, gulping a little bit, “My brother’s an idiot.”

“What?” I asked confused.

“He had no reason to break up with you- You guys were together for a while- Hell, you dropped everything to move with him- Pissed me off when he told me that you two weren’t together anymore,” Mike said and my eyes widened.

‘…He said that? He told them it was his fault- He didn’t tell them that I ran? Why?...’ I thought and then looked down and bit my lip.

“Jewels-“

“Sorry, it’s just-“

“No, my bad, shouldn’t have brought it up!” Mike said and I gave him a small smile and nodded my head, grabbing the box of dirty glasses that could go through the washer.

“I’ll be back, get Barb if you need her,” I said and nudged my head down the bar and Mike nodded his head.

I carried the box into the kitchen and sent the glasses through the dish washer. I leaned against the counter, it was after eleven, so the kitchen was empty. I sniffled a little and then rubbed my face and ran my fingers through my hair. I heard the door open and then turned my back to it and cleaned my face up.

“Jewels,” I turned when I heard Bridget’s voice, “You all right- I saw Mike out there- Did that dick say anything?!”

“He told me,” I bit my lip and shook my head, wiping my forming tears away, “That he told his friends and family that he broke up with me. He never told anyone that I just left.”

Bridget’s eyes widened and I let out a cry and she hugged me tight, “Do you still love him?”

“Of course I still do- But I can’t handle that schedule of his- I’m too weak-“

“Juliet, you’re anything but weak, honey,” Bridget said and I looked at her and looked down, “You know he’ll be back next week- Since they lost in the playoffs- He’ll be coming home.”

“Yeah, I know- I’m gunna have to see him,” I said and then sat on the counter and looked at Bridget, “Why would he lie to everyone?”

“He probably still loves you too,” Bridget said and I looked at her and sighed, “You wanna head home? I’ll finish your shift.”

“No, I’ll be all right- Might need you to cover me when he’s here though,” I said and laughed a little.

“Girl the only way I’m gunna cover for you is if you’re going home with him,” Bridget said and we both laughed and she hugged me again, “It’ll be all right, Juliet.”

“I hope so- I do miss him.”

“I know you do sweetie, I know you do,” Bridget said and I sighed and nodded my head.

“I’m gunna head back,” I said and Bridget nodded her head.

-Bridget-
I walked out to the bar and saw Mike with two of his friends at the end of the bar, it didn’t take long for him to notice me, I smirked and he patted his friends’ shoulders and then headed my way. I looked up towards him, leaning against the wall, my arms crossed, “Took you long enough.”

“Didn’t know if you wanted to see me,” he said and I smirked and shrugged my shoulders, “How come you didn’t tell me that Jewels was in town?”

“I just found out about three days ago,” I said and he nodded his head and took a swig of his beer.

I looked at him and then looked around and then grabbed his shirt and pulled him towards the stairs; he chuckled and then took my head and followed me up the stairs. We got to my office and Mike closed the door and then pushed me against my desk, grabbed my face and pressed his lips against mine.

We did this, we’ve been doing this for a while, we’re not in a relationship or anything, I wasn’t in love with him nor him in love with me, but we just found comfort with being with one another. This was probably the only time though; I was even going to stop him.

“Mike, Mike, wait, Mike.”

“What? What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” I giggled, “But this wasn’t the reason I pulled you up here.”

“It wasn’t? Damn Bridge, you’re losin’ your touch then,” he chuckled and I smirked and rolled my eyes, “What’s up?”

“When does James come back?”

“Um, Monday I think mom said- Why?”

“Because we gotta try to get him and Jewels back together,” I said and Mike smirked.

“He was an idiot to break up with her to begin with-“

“Yeah, about that,” I said and then rubbed the back of my neck, “You tell anyone anything and you’re cut off.”

“Cut off from what?”

“Everything,” I threatened and his eyes widened.

“What the hell, B?”

“James didn’t break up with Jewels,” I said and he looked at me confused, “She left him.”

“What? Why?! Why would he tell everyone-“

“She got scared and left and I’m sure he’s taking the heat for it to protect her- They both still care about each other,” I said and Mike sighed and looked at me, “Which is why we gotta get them back together!”

“And what does your devious mind have planned to get them back together?”