Status: This is a story based on a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. This is the back story to my character: Peregrin Old-Fur.

Peregrin Old-Fur: Captured

Part 11

The next day, Tylovine walked out of the darkened hallway and called me towards him. “Oh no.” I thought. “He knows about me sneaking around last night.” There wasn’t much to lose. I didn’t have the cloak, so the magician couldn’t take it from me. I walked over to him without hesitation.
“Come with me, boy.” He insisted. We walked through the dark hallway and I was blinded by the blackness.
“Why do you like the darkness so much?” I asked. He seemed befuddled that I had asked him a question.
“You sure are confident to ask me a question.” He replied. “I like it because people like you make such disgusting faces when you’re hurt. If there’s no light, I don’t have to see them. Plus, you don’t know what to expect in the dark, it makes the torturing more enjoyable.” A shiver ran down my back as he spoke. “Now, the reason I called you here. Yesterday, a man was in here, but he vanished. He’s now okay in the centre. Also, a goblin was killed by a knife; what do you know of this?” He obviously would blame me, but I couldn’t tell him the truth. If I did, he would surely hurt me. I shook my head.
“No? Interesting, the knife came from your table.”
“How did you see me shake my head?”
“I can see in the dark, idiot. Now shut up and let me speak. No one else in this entire cave is brave enough to face me. There’s something about you that makes me want to kill you.” I heard footsteps walk around me. “But I want to keep you alive. I can see you being an asset to me. Yes, you could join my side; you could eat like a rich man.” My stomach growled at the thought of food. Eating steak so tender and juicy, along with a nice side of corn on the cob would satisfy my hunger so that I would never want to stand up ever again. Tylovine held my shoulders and leaned in close to my ear. His whisper was almost seductive. “You could sleep like a prince.” He whispered. He continued to walk around. “If you help me destroy Kemadri, I could resurrect your brother.” The words took my breath away. The one person I treasured most, my brother, could be living again. I could just imagine walking up to him and I would embrace him. But then he would see me working with Tylovine. To him, I would be the traitor: the bringer of death.
“I’d rather stomp on his grave than join you.”
“Awwh, too bad he doesn’t have one.” Tylovine smirked. Suddenly, I felt a breeze past my ear, a cold and fast wind that raced from behind me towards the wizard. The lights immediately turn on. The blinding light slowly made me aware of the scenario. In front of me was a knife. A sharpened knife was held up not by a hand, but by the air itself. I looked around me. I had an idea of the layout of the room. There was a staircase off to the side of the room which ascended to a deck-like area. Beyond that was out of my sight, but I did see a source of light.
“Show yourself!” Tylovine demanded as he stared beyond my body. Not even a drip from a tap could be heard. There was a distant sound of people working on many things in the centre.
“I said, show yourself!” His terrifying scream shook the ground. Tylovine lifted his hand above his head and then clenched his hand, as if he was trying to squeeze something. Suddenly, I lost control of my body. Everything tensed and I felt like it had doubled in weight. As if I was a marionette, my feet started lifting up towards the sky, along with the rest of my body,. The manipulator flung my helpless arms back, letting them dangle above the rocky surface below me. My bones tensed to the point that it started to hurt. Inside I was crying out for help. Eventually, I saw a movement at the corner of my eye. The elf revealed himself to the magician, destroying the illusion of invisibility. “That’s better.” Tylovine smirked. He lowered his hand to his side, and I tumbled down with it. I was finally free. The manipulator no longer had control over his puppet, but the weight that I expected to be lifted off my shoulders never occurred. When I crashed down to the gray surface, all the strength in my body vanished. My body was too sore to cooperate with the commands I was giving it. From what I could see, Tylovine walked over to the elf. His hand eyed the cloak and propelled itself to the cloak. With a pinch of the fingers, the elf was snatched of his treasure.
“I’ll take that.” Tylovine demanded. “I’ve got a special place for this.” He chucked the cloak into the air. The cloak cannonballed its way towards the ceiling, and when it collided with the rough looking wall, it stopped. However, instead of descending like a feather, it attached itself to the ceiling. That blood-stained coloured sheet was my only ticket out of this misery. “Ah, seeing the misery on your faces amuses me.” Tylovine laughed. “Go.” There was no sense in arguing with the almighty wizard, so I walked away with the elf. When the elf and I stared into the dark hallway, a sudden chill crept down my back.
“That cloak was passed down in my family for generations.” The elf looked down and sighed.
“We will get it back.” I assured him.
“Oh are we? How do you imagine us doing that?”
“It’ll have to be when Tylovine is out of the room.”
“So we’ll need to distract him? How will we get the cloak then? I can’t throw you up there, and we can’t just jump to reach it.”
“We’ll need rope-“
“but rope can’t just stick to surfaces.” We stood looking at the injured prisoners and the blank stalwarts with the hope that an idea would come to mind. Unexpectedly, a thought latched onto me.
“What if I build a weapon, and put rope at the end of it and used the weapon as an anchor?”
“It would have to be something you can carry, but big enough to give weight.”
“Like a mace.”
The elf stopped to think about it.
“A metal mace would be too hard and loud to make, but a wooden one…”
“We would have to make it rectangular if we were to make it out of wood.”
“A rectangular mace… it would look rather odd, but doable.”
“I’ll make the plans for it tonight.” We bowed to each other and walked away.
“Before I go,” I started. “What’s your name?”
“Tonito”, he simply replied. I walked back to my table. I noticed that the majority of the people at the table were watching me. Their eyes were glued to mine.
“Who was that?” Jam asked, giving a suspicious glance at Tonito.
“His name is Tonito, I’m trying to know the prisoners, so when we escape, we’ll be prepared.”
“We’re escaping? I knew you’d think of something!” I heard Wilscar say a little too loudly. Eyes from around the centre questioned us.
“Quiet down!” I whispered angrily. “We don’t need the prisoners knowing what we’re doing yet. Give me some time to figure it out.” Wilscar nodded and awkwardly went back to his work.
♠ ♠ ♠
Star Wars Episode 5 much?