Status: This is a story based on a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. This is the back story to my character: Peregrin Old-Fur.

Peregrin Old-Fur: Captured

Part 14

I could see changes in Wilscar the following day. When I first met him, his optimism shone brighter than the stars, but after staying in here, his stars had dimmed a little. When Tylovine walked into the room, Jamamros would tense up, and Wilscar would shadow him. He was still determined to help with my deficient plan, but his hope would fly out of the room when he saw the dark magician.
We scratched the blade against the red bricks for a few hours. I would count the number of sparks that would fling off of the blade: 1…2…3. Every time I dropped a knife into the bag, I couldn’t help feeling a similarity between the blade and myself. We dropped the blades into the confines of the bag and sealed off the exit point, ensuring their imprisonment.
I glanced over at Jamamros. He shook his hand as the blade scraped across the brick. His dream last night must have scarred his brain. The next slash on the brick missed entirely and sliced his knuckle. Blood immediately began to flow from the cut. I looked over to Hortamus. He looked straight at me, and then looked down. I began to have mixed emotions: rage, understanding, worry. Hortamus had the power to heal it, but he didn’t. I knew why he didn’t, but that still did not lighten my mood. I grabbed a soiled cloth and knotted it around his thumb. I felt something wet drip onto my hand, but it wasn’t blood. Jam’s eyes overflowed with tears. He attempted to conceal it by closing his eyes, but wasn’t successful. He fell to his knees and held his head with his hands. Watching my brother cry was painful, like all the happiness in the world had vanished. I knelt down and reached over to put my arm around him, but he quickly pushed it away.
“I need to get out of here,” He demanded and blew his nose on his shirt.
“What are you going to do?” I asked. Jam stood up and reached for a dagger in the bag. I grabbed his arm.
“He’ll defeat you, and you know it. If you walk over there, you’ll have five of them crush you.” He hesitated. He sniffled some more and then wiped the tears from his eyes using the back of his hand.
“I… I just can’t live like this,” He stated.
“You have no other choice but to live like this. Once my plan starts taking action, you’ll be able to leave. I’m not losing another brother,” Jam nodded his head.
“We will avenge him, right?” He asked. I smiled at him and we slowly went back to work.

The day slowly passed with little or no excitement. I watched a sliver getting pulled out of an elf’s hand. It looked painful from the quick glance I was able to get. When the bell rang indicating it was time to eat, I walked over to Tonito.
“When I first met you, I knew that you wouldn’t mind watching me die. Do you still feel that way?” Tonito concentrated on my eyes.
“I don’t know…” He confessed. “But, if you get us out of here, I will definitely change my mind about you.” I nodded with a smirk. Tonito showed no change in his emotion, so I walked away.