Status: This is a story based on a Dungeons and Dragons campaign. This is the back story to my character: Peregrin Old-Fur.

Peregrin Old-Fur: Captured

Part 9

When I reached the room the following day, it was barely lit. An orange glow spread around the room from three candles. The dragonborn sat in the middle with his eyes closed, and his legs crossed. As he slowly breathed, puffs of smoke escaped from his mouth. The dark clouds escalated to the ceiling and then vanished. He slowly opened his eyes, as if he had not slept in days.
“Ah, Peregrin.” He greeted me with passion. “Come, sit down.” He pointed to a spot on the ground adjacent to him. I walked over and sat where he pointed. “If you want to become a cleric, I need to know that you will devote your time not only to becoming a cleric, but worshiping a god as well.”
Thinking twice about my decision I hesitantly replied, “I will.”
“Good.” Hortamus replied. He smiled at me. “Now I need to know which god you will worship.” I gave this some thought. Whichever deity I chose to follow would stick with me for the rest of my life. After pondering hard about it, I knew which one I wanted to follow.
“I wish to devote my life to Bahamut.” I replied. “I believe that deep down my morals are identical to his and he seems to care about me, I know he does.” Hortamus grinned again.
“Bahamut is an unusual choice for a Halfling, but I believe you have chosen wisely. Now, we need you to confess any sins you have done. Bahamut won’t be mad because of your sins. If you are truly sorry, he will forgive you.” I closed my eyes. “You don’t have to say it aloud if you don’t want to.” I nodded, even though I could not see him. I decided that I would pray in my head.
“Oh Great and Mighty Bahamut,” I started. “Please forgive me of my sins.” I began to think about all the sins I had committed. “I’m sorry for losing my temper on the goblins. Please give me the patience to deal with them so I won’t get myself hurt again. I am also sorry for yelling at my father. I know he is a hardworking man who struggles with depression. If I ever see him again help me have a better relationship with him.” I opened my eyes and stared at my knees. I wasn’t really staring at them. I thought about my life as a Goblin Hunter. There was no going back to the thirst for goblin blood. I then thought about Berhin and how much I missed him. “I’m doing this for you, Berhin.” I thought. “I’m doing this for you.” I heard Hortamus breathe in deeply.
“These ‘spells’, or so you call it aren’t really spells at all. They are prayers. You must have good intentions to have your prayers answered. This implement is a bible, you will not have your prayers answered if you do not have one. I will let you use my implement from time to time, but first, you need to learn the draconic language.” He breathed in quickly, as if gasping for air. “Let us start off with the basics.” He instructed me.
“We will use the word ‘hello’ to start off with. Hello in draconic is ‘shoki’. Now you try.”
“Shhhoki.”
“No, no, no, you’re dragging out the “shhhh”, it needs to be subtle and short. Sh. Not Shhhh.”
“Sh”
“Yes, like that. Now try saying shoki.”
“Shoki.”
“There you go! We’re getting somewhere.” Hortamus smiled.