The Girl Who Eats Fire

One

The fire was dangerously close to her. She could feel the heat lapping at her skin, a warning to stay back, but she didn't care. Clarissa desired the warmth.

Her gaze lifted to the audience surrounding her; they sat on bleachers in a circular formation around her. An order was what she was waiting for.

Now, the word came as a ghostly whisper within her head. Clarissa nodded in acknowledgement.

With a quick motion, Clarissa's hand dove into the fire. The flames were sucked up and swirled around her arm. It left the pit that it was originally burning within, traveling up her arm and toward her shoulder and neck.

Sharp gasps and murmurs came from the crowd. How was she doing that? She could almost hear them wonder. A grin formed on the young girl's face, and she pulled the fire up her neck.

"Now watch as the amazing Clarissa swallows the fire! You will see something truly spectacular!" a man whose voice matched the one that had whispered to her announced from somewhere above her. That was her hint.

As Clarissa stood on the tips of her toes, stretching her body as far as she could, she consumed the fire she had pulled toward her. Within seconds a glow the colour of the flames spread throughout her body.

She bowed then, after showing off the fact that she hadn't been burned. The warmth engulfed her, a pleasant feeling she would forever welcome. Her gaze trailed up above her as the audience clapped, toward where the announcer was. The man winked at her, and she nodded again.

Clarissa held her hands out in front of her, fingers spread far apart. Fire rolled off her fingertips, the flames small and dull at first, then larger and extremely bright moments later.

"Ladies and gentlemen, the amazing Clarissa; the girl who eats fire!" the announcer said.

The curtains closed around Clarissa, and she allowed the flames to sink back into her flesh. A grin remained on her face as her skin continued to glow the man colours of the fire; and the crowd cheered and clapped, eager for more.