Status: So. Many. Ideas.

If I Had a Heart

Funeral

Thunder rumbled off in the distance and I looked out the window. The grey skies seemed to match my mood and my puffy blue eyes no longer filled with tears. I swiped waterproof mascara on my eyelashes and adjusted my black dress before exiting my room in search for my little brother, Andrew.

Heels clicked on the spotless white floor as I walked down the hallway towards the elevator. My father is-was- king of America. (it was formerly known as the United States of America, but the ‘United States’ part was removed when the government changed in 2020.) America is central for all trading and the throne was wanted by many. All countries gave up on the idea of democracy and appointed rulers like they did in the 1600’s.

I stepped off the elevator when it came to a stop on the 30th level which is my brother’s floor. Walking the long hallway, I steeled myself. Andrew is only seventeen, so I need to be strong for him. A figure rounded the corner and bumped into me. I wobbled in my heels, but a hand caught my upper arm and steadied me.

“I’m so sorry, Rowan,” the man spoke and I gave a weak smile at his familiar face.

“Don’t worry about it, Michael,” I said with a kind smile to one of my father’s army leaders. Michael was very skilled and quickly rose through the ranks to become the youngest leader we’ve ever had. Michael was kind and handsome, but I’ve never seen him with any women or men.

“Where are you going?” He asked.

I smoothed out my dress and cast my grey eyes down, “I need to find Andrew. The funeral is starting soon and Nan wants us prepared. You know how she can get.”

Michael gave a nod, “He left here not too long ago. You might want to check the bridge; he mentioned something about it before he left.”

Thanking him, I began to walk away but he caught my arm.

“Be careful, Rowan. There are some visitors here and I don’t trust them.”

“A lot of people came for the funeral. Who are you worried about?” I questioned.

“Russians,” he spat as if the word was a curse.

I nodded and walked back to the elevator, not mentioning that I had befriended the Russian prince, Nikolai. The ride down was quiet and fast. Soon, I was stepping into the busy entry way to the tower. People were rushing around, but stopped as I entered the room. Holding my head high, I walked towards the front doors.

“I’m so sorry for your loss, Princess,” many of the guests and servants echoed as I passed them. I gave small smiles and mumbled my thanks, but their sympathies meant nothing to me; they couldn’t bring my father back.

Breathing in the cool air, I avoided puddles as I walked towards the bridge that my brother frequented. Our father died a week ago and soon other leaders would take notice of the lack of a ruler. No successor was announced and others will want this country for themselves.

“Rowan!”

I turned my head and saw Nikolai jogging towards me. Moving no further, he stood next to me after a few more long strides.

“Hi, Nick,” I greeted.

He held an umbrella over my head and I noticed that it had begun to rain lightly so I mumbled my thanks.

“You have to get out of here! Now!” He exclaimed.

“What? I can’t leave! My father’s funeral is today,” I responded, confused at his tone.

Nikolai let out a stream of what I assumed were curses in Russian and grabbed my shoulders roughly. “There is going to be an attack. You must leave.”

“I can’t!” I snapped and pulled away from his hands.

He shook his head and shoved the umbrella towards me. “Stay alert, Princess.”

I took the umbrella and walked in the direction of the bridge.

Nikolai was the second son of the King of Russia. The king was supposed to visit soon and Nikolai had left a week earlier than the rest of his family. He arrived two days before my father’s death and we became fast friends. According to him, his brother had been groomed to rule while Nick was given the cold shoulder. His father cancelled his visit after he heard of my father’s death and Nick was supposed to leave soon.

I finally made it to the old, rickety elevator that took people to the top of the bridge and climbed on. The ride was quick and I stepped out to see Andrew sitting with his legs dangling over the edge. Slipping my heels off, I sat next to him and let my feet hang over the edge. Neither of us spoke, but soon his shoulders began to shake and soft sobs escaped his lips. I wrapped my arm around him and he cried into my neck. A few tears escaped my eyes as the rain fell around us.

We needed to grieve now and not in front of the people.

“Nan wants us to hurry and get back,” I said after he finished crying and pulled away.

“Yeah,” he responded and stood up.

I stood quickly and slipped my heels back on before leading him back to the large tower. This funeral was going to be difficult, but I prayed that it would go by quickly.

††††

“King Richard was the most generous man I’ve ever had the pleasure of knowing. He would give you the shirt off his back,” Timothy, one of my father’s advisors, droned on.

I tuned Timothy out and looked next to me at Andrew. He was expressionless and staring at the ground. Reaching my hand out, I grabbed his forearm and ran my thumb back and forth. He looked up at me before turning his gaze back to the stage where Timothy was finishing up his repetitive speech.

“Rest in peace, my King,” Timothy said in closing.

Before anyone could begin to applaud, a loud gunshot rang out and Timothy fell with a small hole in his head that was seeping blood and brain matter. Screams immediately erupted and the crowd rushed towards the exits. Men that held large guns and were wearing red and yellow marched into the room.

Nikolai mentioned an attack.

Shit. I should have listened to him.

I squeezed Andrew’s arm to keep him in place as who I assumed to be soldiers told everyone to get back to their seats. He looked at me with eyes full of fear and I stayed seated. The soldiers were screaming at the crowd and a few people retreated to their seats. A hand rested on my shoulder and I yelped.

“We need to move now!”

I could have cried at the sight of Nikolai as he pulled me up. I held on tightly to Andrew and Nikolai lead us away from the commotion.

“¡buenas tardes, ladies and gentlemen!”

I froze as a thick spanish accent filled the room. Looking towards the stage, a tall, intimidating man stood in the middle. King Raul Cuevas of Spain was smirking down at the people.

“Now, Rowan!” Nikolai urged as he tugged me along.

I stumbled slightly, but followed him as he lead us out a catering side door.

“What is going on?” I demanded as he pulled us through the kitchens.

“I told you there was going to be an attack!” He responded with a roll of his dark brown eyes.

Nikolai pulled a gun out of the waistband of his dark dress pants and I bit my lip, “how are we getting out of here?”

“Were you taught to shoot?”

“Yes,” Andrew answered and Nikolai pulled out two more guns. One from his hip holster and a smaller one from his jacket pocket and he sat them down for us to take.

I picked up the smaller one and took a deep breath, remembering all of the times my father took me and my brother to the shooting range inn the basement of this tower. I took another deep breath and tried to clear my mind.

“Do you have a plan?” Andrew asked.

“We need to find Nan!” I snapped before Nikolai could respond.

“We don’t have time!”

I narrowed my eyes at the tall Russian and pushed past him. “we need to gather things anyway.”

Nikolai cursed under his breath and looked up at me, “where would she be?”

“She wasn’t feeling well earlier so probably on her floor. 20.”

He shook his head and mumbled something along the lines of ‘crazy bitch’ as he walked past me. “is there a service elevator around here?”

“Yeah,” Andrew responded and walked over to it. The three of us entered and pressed the button for Nan’s floor.

I tapped my foot impatiently and quickly pushed the button for floor 45.

“What are you doing?” Andrew questioned.

“I need to get things. I suggest you do the same. Meet me on floor 30,” I answered as we reached the 20th floor.

Nikolai began to protest, but I caught him off guard and pushed him away before quickly closing the door. The ride up to the 45th floor was quick and I readied my gun as the doors slid open. My floor looked untouched and I rushed towards my bedroom. Grabbing my duffle bag, I began to shove a few days worth of clothing and a few more important items before running back to the elevator as fast as I could in five inch stilettos.

The elevator took my down to Andrew’s floor and I was met with Nan and Nikolai. Nan looked at me with tears in her eyes as she pulled me into a tight hug.

“I thought you were dead!”

I smiled and hugged her back tightly, “I’m okay, Nan. We’ll be okay.”

Andrew ran down the hallway and skidded to a stop in front of us. “I’m ready.”

Nikolai looked at me and I nodded, indicating I was ready. We stepped back into the metal box and I bit my nail.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“London,” Nikolai answered.

The elevator came to a stop at the bottom and we stepped out into an empty room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rowan