The Myth of Vampires

~*~The Myth of Vampires~*~

~Bam’s POV~

It’s has been 50 years since Ville brought me over to, as I like to call it, ‘The Dark Side’. I had been enjoying my time as an immortal, more than anyone, so Ville tells me. Being immortal was something every Goth kid in the 21st century dreamt of. We grow up in a world full of myths. I have come to learn that the fiction written is sometimes better than the real truth. I had learned this early on, in my first year as an immortal.

* * *

My new powers were, for loss of a better saying, fucking awesome. I loved the new sight I had, everything so clear and so bright, even for nighttime. My senses were amazing to me. I could smell the blood of a human and hear every beat of their hearts. My strength had increase by at least three fold. I felt like a god, but I knew I was not one.

Now you may be wondering what in the factious writing I found were not true. If any of you have ever read any of the Vampire Chronicles, then you will know what I am talking about.

In these tales, immortals can scale four stories of a building without a second thought. I thought this to be a great thing that I would be able to do, but I soon found out that this was something just for the story.

I was out on the town with Ville, looking for breakfast, when I thought I would try out this little stunt. I saw a small 3 story building up ahead, I decided that this would be the building in which I was to scale. I took off in a running start, as they had done in these books. I hear Ville cry out to me, asking me what the hell I was doing. I didn’t answer; I just kept running towards the building. When I came within a few feet of it, I jumped with all my might, waiting for me to land safely on the roof, but this did not happen. I fell to the ground with a very loud thud, the pain in my ass was excruciating.

Soon Ville was at my side, laughing at my failed attempt. I looked at him with a pained look, as if asking ‘did you know this would happen?’ He smiled at me, placing is hand out to help me up.

“What were you doing?” he asked as I brushed myself off.

“I was going to scale that building. You know, like the do in all those Anne Rice novels.” That statement was received with laughter.

“Ahh, my young Bammie. These tales hold little truth to them . . . remember that,” he said, leaving the conversation at that.

Needless to say, my little discussion with Ville didn’t stop me from trying other things.

* * *
A few years later, I was curious about the sleeping in the earth thing. I thought the idea of being under the ground was interesting and something I would have done in life, if I could have. I decided one day, well rather night, that I was going to go out in the garden and bury myself deep in the earth. I didn’t let Ville know my plan, when he asked me to go into the city with him, I declined. I told him I wanted to relax around the house and practice my skating.

As soon as Ville left, I commenced with the digging. I had a feeling it was going to take a little time, and we only had 5 hours till dawn. So I got to work, digging my so called ‘underground coffin’. After 4 hours of digging, I was finished, all I had to do way lay in it and cover myself before Ville returned and I did just that. I soon heard Ville return and start to look for me. I was so comfortable in the dirt; never had I felt this at peace before. I knew the sun would soon be rising, but Ville was still searching for me.

Soon the dirt that surrounded me was being pulled away and a hand was pulling me up. I knew Ville had found me, I didn’t know how at the time, but he did. He pulled me from the ground with a strength I had never seen. Once I was above the earth again, I saw the anger in Ville’s eyes that I had not seen in years.

“What in the fuck do you think you are doing?”

“I was going to sleep underground tonight,” I said with a smirk on my face.

“This is that Anne Rice thing again . . . isn’t it?” his vice was raised and the tone one of anger.

“I told you that most of the things in there are pure fiction. Why can’t you get that through your fucking head?”

“I thought it would be cool, you know, sleep in the earth and all that jazz,” I said in a hushed voice, to afraid to look him in the eyes.

“Bammie, my Bammie, you are going to be the fucking death of me,” he said as he dragged me into the house.

“But you are already dead,” I said before I could stop myself.

“That may be so, but I can still die, you know this as well as I.”

“But still, sleeping in the earth would be so fucking cool.” Ville rolled his eyes and sighed.

“Sometimes I regret making you a child of darkness,” Ville said as we entered what I called ‘Our Lair’.

“Yeah but just think, if you didn’t make me, your life would be a total bore.”

“That it would,” Ville said before entering his coffin and ending the night’s events.

I lay awake for a bit in my coffin, thinking of all the things I still had yet to try. I knew by the time I was done with my experiments, Ville would be ready to chain me to a tree and let me burn in the light of the sun. It wasn’t that I was trying to piss him off, I was just curious and I hoped that Ville would understand.

* * *

As the years passed I tried many of the things in the books. I drank no blood for days . . . and soon learned that I could not live at all if I kept it up. Ville had to bring me a victim, breaking the rule he had of no food in the house. I even looking for Covens, which I soon found did not exist anymore. The only thing that had some truth to it was what they called in the books ‘The Mind Gift’. I could hear Ville speak to me and even see things he let me see. That was how Ville had found me the night I went to sleep in the earth. He had heard my thoughts, I was still very young at the time, and I didn’t know how to block the thoughts like I do today.

After 25 years of trying different thing, I finally gave up and accepted them as just what they were . . . fiction. I was saddened by this revelation, but Ville was overjoyed, that now I would finally be normal, or so he hoped.

But now many years after the fact, we can laugh about it, as if someone else had tried those things. I have found other things that I try, things that drive Ville up a wall. I think he understands my curiosity, but that doesn’t mean he liked it. I am a rebellious person, well vampire, and I think I will always be. I only hope that Ville will always stick by me and love me the way he has since the day he sired me.