‹ Prequel: The Maroon Beret

A New Life

Twelve

*Ten and Eleven were new yesterday. Make sure you read them before this one.

-Charlie-
This isn’t happening. This just can’t be happening.

I’m trying my hardest to hold back my tears as Janine speeds her way towards the hospital, but it’s just too hard. I let the salty drops fall down my cheeks and choke out a sob. Janine reaches over and rests her small hand on my knee, squeezing it lightly.

“It’s going to be okay.” She says. “He’s going to be okay.”
“You don’t know that.” I respond.
“You have to stay positive, Charlie. For Sean and for you and for your girls.”
“Why would she do this?” I ask.
“Because she’s fucked up in the head.” Janine responds, pulling into the parking lot.

She pulls right up to the emergency room doors where I spot Zac Rinaldo and Michael Raffl waiting. They see our car and come over. Zac opens my door and Michael helps me out, the exact same way Sean usually does. Zac shuts the door and they start to lead me into the hospital and down a private hallway.

“How is he?” I ask.
“He’s stable.” Zac responds. “Schenner can tell you more when we get there, though. He’s the one who rode in the ambulance with him.”
“She really stabbed him?”
“Yes.” Michael confirms.
“And punched him in the face?”
“Yes.”

I grip Michael’s hand tightly and we round a corner. I see Brayden sitting outside a room with his head in his hands. His eyes shoot up as soon as he hears our footsteps and he jumps up, wrapping me in a hug as best as he can considering my size.

“Talk to me, Brayden.” I demand.
He sighs and motions for Zac and Michael to leave. They head back the way we came, presumably towards the waiting room or something.
“We figured out that she stabbed him first.” He starts. “We think he must have gotten out of the way slightly, because it didn’t puncture any major organs or anything. In fact, it didn’t even reach that deep into his body at all. He’s got eighteen stitches in his side, but the doc said that should heal within a couple weeks.”

I breathe a slight sigh of relief at the news. I was so afraid he was going to be stabbed through the stomach or spleen or something important and never be able to play hockey again. Or lead a normal life at all.

“So what’s the bad news?” I ask, knowing there has to be some. Not just because I’ve been pessimistic lately, but because I recognize the look in Brayden’s face. The look that means he doesn’t want to share something, but he knows he has to.

“Charlie, I think it would be best if you sat down.” He suggests, confirming my suspicion.
“Just tell me, Brayden.” I kinda snap. I immediately feel bad for jumping down his throat, but in all actuality he needs to just spit it out.
“When she punched him, it gave him a concussion.” He says. My heart drops. “He-” He sighs. “Charlie, he was having trouble remembering things. When we were in the ambulance, he kept asking me over and over who I was. He recognized me. Knew I was a teammate and a friend. But for the life of him, he couldn’t remember my name.”

Tears instantly flood my eyes. What if Sean doesn’t remember who I am?

“Don’t worry too much, though. The doctor said that the CAT scan didn’t show any major damage. He said with a little rest and some healing, he doesn’t think this is permanent.”

Even with his reassurance, I can’t hold back my tears any longer. I bury my face into Brayden’s chest and let my sobs take over. To his credit, Brayden knows exactly what I need in the moment and wraps his arms around me as best as he can. He begins rocking me back and forth, rubbing my back and whispering comforting things in my ear.

A couple minutes later I feel another smaller pair of hands brush my shoulders and pull myself away from Brayden’s chest, locking eyes with Janine. She reaches up and brushes away the falling tears, giving me a soft, sad smile.

“I can’t-” I choke, trying so hard not to break down again.
“You don’t have to do this alone.” She reassures me. Brayden squeezes my hand in agreement. “You’re not alone, hun.”
My head thumps against Brayden’s chest again. I feel his lips graze the top of my head.

“Mr. Schenn?” A voice calls. I look up and see a doctor exiting the room we’re standing next to. “Oh, you’re not alone.”
“This is Sean’s wife, Charlie. And my fiancee Janine.” Brayden says, introducing us. “Ladies, this is Dr. Williams, Sean’s doctor.”
“Mrs. Couturier, I’m glad you could be here for this.” He says, turning his attention to me. “I’ve already told Mr. Schenn this, but since you’re his next of kin, I’m glad I’ve got the opportunity to talk to you directly.”

I nod, wiping my eyes. I probably look absolutely crazy right now. But I don’t even care.

“He’s sleeping right now, but we can go into the room to talk if you’d like.”
I think about it for a second before shaking my head.
“I want to be able to actually listen to what you’re saying.” I admit. “I won’t be able to do that if I’m in there.”

He nods understandingly. “Very well. I’ll make it short so you can get in there as soon as you can. Your husband has two concerns that we’ve addressed. The first was the gash in his right side. It’s about ten inches long, and required eighteen stitches to close up. Fortunately, it wasn’t very deep. But it did nick his abdominal muscle slightly. We used muscle glue to repair it, and as long as he doesn’t move around too much it should heal fine. Depending on healing, it shouldn’t take too long. Maybe a month or so.”

He pauses to look at me, making sure I’m following him.

“The main concern we have, though, is with his concussion. We did some diagnostic testing and fortunately it doesn’t look like there’s any severe, long-term damage. But we won’t know the full extent of his problems until he wakes up. Did Mr. Schenn tell you about his memory problems?” I nod. “Like I said, based on the testing I don’t think anything will be permanent. I’ve seen cases like these where all the brain needed was a couple days of rest and then they’re fine. I’m not seeing anything other wise that’s saying this won’t be along those same lines. But we won’t fully know until he wakes up and we can test him and everything.”

“Thank you.” I say, nodding.
“Of course.” He responds. “I’ll let you in to see him now. If you have any questions or anything, don’t hesitate to press the nurse’s button and have them contact me.”
“Okay.” I say.

He shakes my hand and heads down the hallway, leaving the three of us standing outside Sean’s room. I stare at the door for a minute, my emotions a complete wreck.

“Do you want us to go in with you, or would you like to go alone?” Brayden asks.
“Can you give me a couple minutes alone first?” I respond. “Then join me?”
“Absolutely.” Janine says. “We’ll go share the news with the rest of the team first.”

I wrap my arms around her, hoping like hell that my gratitude is passing through our skin-to-skin contact. She sighs slightly and I’m pretty sure she’s received the silent communications I was trying to pass along to her.

Brayden presses another small kiss to my forehead before wrapping an arm around Janine’s waist and leading her away from the room.

I take a deep breath and wrap my fingers around the doorknob. I twist it and push the door open. The lights are dim, but I can see my husband laying in the bed in front of me. His entire jaw is bruised and his eyes are closed.

I make my way over towards his right side, running my hand along his leg. I pull the sheets down and lift his shirt, studying the gauze taped to his side. It’s probably not the best idea, but I can’t help pulling the gauze back a little.

The gash is dark and spotted with his blood. Each stitch is a black line and I softly run my fingers along them, counting all eighteen. I recover his wound and pull his shirt back down. Fortunately the chair is right next to his bed, so I don’t have to drag it over. I’m not sure I would be able to in my current state. I lower myself carefully into it and study his face.

The dark purple coloring spreads across his entire chin and along his jaw line slightly. Otherwise, his face looks calm and relaxed. His lips are parted slightly and he’s breathing lightly. I twist my fingers into his, studying the strong hands that just this morning were so full of life and happiness.

I can’t even begin to explain the emotions running through me right now. I thought I was terrified before. I wasn’t terrified before. No, I’m terrified now. I’m terrified Sean won’t make a full recovery. I’m terrified his career is over. I’m terrified he won’t remember me when he wakes up. I’m terrified he won’t want me or our girls anymore.

But I’m also terrified that Anne is back. Janine told me the police arrested her and charged her with assault with a deadly weapon. They’re pretty sure she’ll get some jail time, which makes me a little happier. But who knows how long that will hold her? She was arrested once for assault with a deadly weapon. She also got charges at the same time for threatening a police officer. She served her time, but still found a way out in order to show up at our wedding. Now she’s found her way here and came after Sean. Tried to severely injure him. Tried to ruin our lives.

Mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted, I drop my forehead to the bed, pressing Sean’s hand to my face. I want to sob, but I’m suddenly so out of energy. My body can’t even properly form tears.

Apparently it’s been long enough, and I hear the door open behind me. Brayden and Janine must be returning. I turn around and, to my surprise, find half of the Flyers coming into the room. They each have sad and empathetic faces.

“How are you?” Giroux asks.
I shrug my shoulders.
“I’m dealing with the fact that my mother stabbed and punched my husband.” I say.
Everyone in the room gives me a sad look.

Hartsy drops onto the chair next to me and pulls me into his side gently.

“Everything is going to be okay.” He says. I have the feeling he’s saying it more for himself than for me, but I nod slightly and curl into his chest, closing my eyes.

--------------

I wake when I feel someone moving next to me.

“Shit, sorry.” Hartsy says. “I didn’t mean to wake you up.”
“It’s okay.” I respond groggily. “Sorry for falling asleep on you.”
“Hey, don’t be sorry about that. You needed it.”

I take the moment to look around the empty room.

“TJ just went to get something to eat and everyone else went home for the night.” He says.
“What time is it?” I ask.
“Just after ten.”
“Oh my gosh, Scott. Go home!” I demand. “You and TJ need to go home.”
“Absolutely not. We all decided we’ll take turns being here with you until he wakes up. Since you fell asleep on me, I volunteered to be first.”
“You guys are too much. Why are you all so nice to me?”
“You’re part of our family, Charlie. That’s what family does.”

His declaration makes me so happy all of a sudden. I feel loved. Like I have a real family. Oh gosh, I do have a real family. Well, a brother and in-laws.

“Oh my god I have to call Sean’s parents.” I say. “And my brother.”
“Kimmo already did it.” He says. “Well, he called Couts’s parents. Not your brother.”
“Oh good. I don’t know if I actually could.”
“They’re catching a plane in the morning. They’ll be here around noon.”

I breathe a sigh of relief and sink back into his arms.

“What if he doesn’t remember me?” I ask.
“He will.” He promises. “Maybe not at first. He might not remember anyone at first. But he will eventually.”
“What will I do if he doesn’t? What if he gets angry at me, since it’s my mother who hurt him? What if he divorces me and wants nothing to do with the girls?”

I start to hyperventilate, panic creeping up on me.

“Stop worrying, Charlie.” Hartsy demands with authority in his voice. “Sean will not divorce you. He will not get angry with you, and he will not abandon you. Ever. But especially not while you’re carrying his girls.”

For whatever reason, I believe him and my panic starts to go away.

“Think about how Sean is. Think about his personality. His nature. He’s by far the nicest guy I know, and he’s ridiculously in love with you. Even if his memory doesn’t come back for a while, he’ll still have it in his heart to take care of you. And the girls.”

“He loves me.” I say, more for myself.
“He will always love you.” Hartsy repeats.
♠ ♠ ♠
Definitely make sure you read Ten and Eleven, or you've missed a lot.

I'd love some more comments. It's really hard to write when I'm only getting feedback from two people. Even if it's just to say that it sucks and you hate it, at least I'd know more than two people are reading. It doesn't even have to be something long. Just a smiley face would make me happy.

That being said, thanks to Thatmom and dallasstar28 for always commenting.

What do you guys think? What's the voting on how Sean's brain is going to handle it all when he wakes up? Will he remember or not?