‹ Prequel: The Maroon Beret

A New Life

Fifteen

-Sean-
“Seriously, man. I don’t think anyone in the history of the NHL has had as many almost-hat tricks in one season as you have.” Mase says, taking his seat on the bus across the aisle from me.
“Believe me, I know.” I groan.
“Three post shots in one game, too.” Jake adds from behind us.
“If that’s not ridiculous bull shit, I don’t know what is.” Hartsy adds.
“It’s killing me! I want that damn hat trick.” I admit.
“You’ll get it, my friend.” Kimmo says.

For whatever reason, I believe the words of my older teammate. He’s right. I’ll get it. I have to. I promised Charlie and the girls.

Brayden takes his seat next to me and Luke plops down next to Mase. Giroux is the last one on the bus, and takes his seat next to Kimmo as the doors close and the bus starts to move.

“How’d the Kings do tonight?” Someone asks.
“They won 4-3 in a shoot out.” Hartsy responds.

Everyone grumbles, knowing just how awful shoot outs can be. They’re exhausting and not even a quality way to make sure that the better team wins.

The rest of the short drive to the Phoenix airport is silent, with guys texting or listening to music. We board the plane just as quietly and I send Charlie a quick text telling her I love her before turning it off. Just one more game until I can go back home to my wife.

“So what are your plans for Christmas?” Simmonds asks me once we’re all settled in our seats.
“I’m not sure.” I admit. “Drew and my parents are coming to stay with us until after new year’s. Obviously Charlie can’t go out anywhere, so neither of us will be attending any parties. We’ll probably just spend time with our families at home, you know?”
He nods.
“That sucks that you can’t go to the party or anything.”
“Charlie actually wants me to go.” I respond. “But I don’t want to go without her. That wouldn’t feel right, you know?”

The married and engaged men agree. The single men look a little confused, but accept the statement.

The rest of the flight is quiet and smooth sailing, since most of the guys fall asleep within twenty minutes of being in the air. When we land, I have to shake my seat mate awake in order to get off the plane.

When we reach their bus, I plop down in the seat before remembering to turn on my phone. It’s late here, which means it’s extra late at home. But when I turn my phone on I see that I have six missed calls and two texts.

The first text is a response from Charlie, saying how proud she is of the game, and how I’ll get the hat trick eventually. She loves me, and she can’t wait to see me when we finally come home.

The second text is two simple words from Drew, which instantly raises my heart rate.
Call me.

I flip to his contact and call him. It only rings a couple times before he answers.

“Sean, hey.” He sounds tired.
“What’s going on?” I ask.
He sighs, and it kills me.
“Hold on, let me go into the living room.” He says.

I hear a door shut and the sound of him likely sitting on the couch.

“Don’t freak out, okay?” He asks. “Listen to what I have to say.”
“Tell me.” He takes a breath.
“We had to call your doctor today.” I tense up. “Charlie was feeling some weird pains, and we were worried she was going into labor.”
“What?” I ask, my voice getting a little loud.
“I told you to listen.” He says. I sigh. “It turns out, one of the girls have been kicking right at the spot where her scar is. It’s stretched slightly, but she’s okay for now. It just started hurting a lot-”
“So she’s okay?” I cut him off.
“Yeah, she’s okay. But your doc put her on full bed rest now. Absolutely no moving at all except going to the bathroom. And she has to be monitored at all times except when she’s going to the bathroom. Even in the middle of the night.”
“So you’re sleeping in our room?” I ask.
“Yeah. And I talked to Johanna about when you and I aren’t here.”
“Okay.” I respond. “She’s going to go crazy with no privacy.”
“I know.” He laughs. “She gave her some other stipulations too, but I really don’t want to repeat them to my sister’s husband. I mean, she’s my sister.”
“Oh.” I say, understanding exactly what’s restricted now. “Damn.”
“Dude, that’s my sister.” He groans.
“Dude, that’s my wife.” I counter.

He chuckles a little, and I smile even though I’m a little worried and a little upset.

“Is she asleep?” I ask, knowing how tired she gets from every day activities.
“Yeah. She fell asleep right after the end of the game.”
“Good. She needs it.”

We’re both silent for a second.

“Hey Drew?”
“Yeah?”
“I know I don’t have to say this, but thank you.”
“For what?”
“For taking care of Charlie.”
“She’s my sister. That’s what I’m supposed to do.”
“I know, but it’s still really nice to know I have someone to lean on that isn’t a part of the team.” I admit. “I think we’re starting to drive the rest of our friends crazy with how often we’re fucked up and need their help.”
“You can always call me.” He assures me. “I’ll do anything for my sister. And since you’re her husband and the father of her children, that means I’ll do anything for you, too.”

We bid our goodbyes just as we pull up to the hotel we’re staying in for the night. It definitely looks promising from the outside. But then again, any hotel we stay in when we’re here in Los Angeles is going to be minimally four stars. I’m not sure LA knows how to have hotels that are less.

“Room 822.” Brayden says, grabbing our keys.
“Let’s go. I gotta crash.” I respond, following him to the elevators.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so I have to admit I actually have both the labor/delivery chapter and the one after that already written. They aren't edited, and will probably need a lot of attention. But I just want to post them SO BADLY right now it's killing me.

Stupid storyline that I have to cover first. Ugh.

Comments?

PS- I'm loving the name guesses. A couple of you are really close, but no one has gotten it all right yet.