‹ Prequel: The Maroon Beret

A New Life

Sixteen

-Charlie-
I’m pretty sure I’m going to kill my brother. Except I’m not allowed to get up other than to go to the bathroom.

Drew hasn’t left me alone since the doctor’s visit. I realize I was told not to be alone. But I can’t even get five minutes to myself. Not for anything. I can’t dress myself, I can’t bathe myself, I can’t even lay down and read by myself. He’s always there. Always right next to me.

I’d like a freaking second to myself.

“Knock knock!” I hear from the doorway. I look up and smile brightly. Finally some salvation!

Johanna enters the room carrying a bag of takeout from my favorite Italian restaurant down the street. She comes over and gives me a hug and turns to Drew.

“Okay, I’ve got everything for the four of you for dinner. I’ll put it in the oven to keep it warm until you come back.” She says.
“Thank you for doing this.” Drew says.
“Of course!”

Drew comes over and gives me a small hug and a kiss before throwing on his sweatshirt and heading for the door. He’s on his way to pick up Sean’s parents from the airport. Despite me not being able to even get out of bed, they still insisted on visiting us for Christmas this week. At first I was a little embarrassed. I’m bedridden, our house isn’t decorated, and Sean won’t be home until tomorrow. But Sylvain told me straight up that they don’t care about any of that. They just want to see me and Sean, even if that means we won’t be able to go out anywhere or do anything.

I asked him if he’d force Sean to go to the team Christmas party, and he agreed that he would try. Knowing Sean’s stubborn personality, it’s going to be a small fight. But I just want him to still have a good time.

“So how are you, really?” Johanna asks as soon as we hear Drew close the garage door.
“I’m going insane!” I proclaim. “I realize I’m supposed to be watched and all, but he never leaves me alone! He’s not even the father. He’s my brother.”
“How is Sean about it all?”
“He’s worried, obviously. He calls every couple of hours. But I think I’ve complained about Drew being overbearing so much that he got the hint that he doesn’t need to be ridiculous about it all.”
“I can imagine. Anyway, I have to put your food in the oven. Can I trust that you aren’t going to try to get up or anything?” She asks with a smile.
“Yes.” I laugh. “I’ll wait to start partying until you come back.”

She winks and heads out to the kitchen, leaving me with a breath of fresh air for the first time in days. I lean my head back and sigh.

“You girls have so many people who already care about you.” I say, rubbing my stomach. “It’s completely overwhelming. But at least I know you’re loved.”

I can’t help but still think about that awful dream. It’s fantastic to know that if something does happen to me, Sean and the girls will have people who are there to help them through it all. It pains me to think about it. But it’s something I do have to consider. What if my uterus rips and I bleed out? I won’t be there for my girls. Or for my husband. They would need this family that we’re so lucky to have.

“Still all good?” Johanna asks, pulling me from my thoughts.
“Yup.” I smile.
“Good. Pre-game is about to come on.”

It’s always weird when they’re on the west coast. It’s a night game for them, but it starts at four here on the east coast. And it’s even weirder, since they usually spend the night there after the game. She settles into the comfy chair next to the bed and I turn on the television, flipping to the pre-game coverage.

“I’m so glad they’re finally coming home after this game.” I admit with a sigh.
“Trust me, I know.” Johanna laughs. “These west coast road trips never get any easier.”
“Where are the girls tonight?” I ask, realizing she’s by herself.
“My parents are in town for the holidays and offered to stay with them while I came over here with you.” She says.
“That’s so sweet. Thank them for me.”
“Of course.”
“Are you going to stay for the whole game?” I ask.
“Probably not. I’ll stay until the end of whichever period they’re in when Drew and Sean’s parents get here. Then I’ll go home and save my parents.”

We laugh and watch as the pre-game stuff starts. I can’t help but smile when they talk about how well Sean is playing. His season has been spectacular, and he’s once again impressing not only those in Philadelphia, but those around the league as well. He’s even been in talks already about the Selke trophy, which he’s been close to winning for the past couple of seasons.

The puck drops and the two of us become so focused on the game that we don’t even hear Drew and Sean’s parents come in. Giroux takes a beautiful pass from Jake, and buries it in the back of the net, causing Johanna and I to scream in delight.

The cheers from the doorway are just as loud, though, getting our attention.

“Charlie!” Sean’s mom says, crossing the room to me.
“Hey, mom!” I respond.
“You look beautiful.”
I laugh.
“I’m a beached whale stuck in bed.” I respond.
“But you’re carrying our grand babies. And that’s beautiful.” Sylvain cuts in.

I smile, pulling him in for a hug. Drew comes in at that moment with the food from the oven. He and Sylvain grab a couple folding chairs from the garage while Johanna passes out the food.

Everyone gets situated just as Simmonds gets a tip in from Kimmo. I’m starting to get exhausted, so I only cheer a little. Which of course gets Drew’s attention.

“You okay?” He asks, alerting the rest of the room to my odd behavior.
“Yeah.” I lie.
“She’s exhausted.” Johanna says. “She’s pregnant and bedridden.”
“I’m fine.” I say.
“How about we finish dinner and then the rest of us will go out to watch the rest of the game on the couch.” Sylvain suggests.

I’m pretty sure they can all see the relief on my face at his suggestion. I smile a little, thankful for his kind thought. As soon as we’re done eating, they grab all the garbage and say good night to me.

“Will you be okay?” Drew asks, eyeing me suspiciously.
“I’ll be fine, Andy. I promise.”
“But what if something happens?”

Oh my God.

“If you really need to continue to be overbearing, there’s baby monitors upstairs in their room. They’re unopened, but they came with batteries. So you can open them and give me one. Then if I have any problems I can call you.”

He thinks about it for a second.

“Okay.”

I keep the game on for the rest of the night, but I fall asleep half way through the second period. When I fall asleep, the Flyers are up 3-1 and I have a smile on my face.

I don’t wake up until two the next afternoon, when the bed dips with Sean’s weight. His arm drapes over my stomach and I feel his warm breath on my neck. I hum appreciatively and can practically feel him smile.

“Good morning, beautiful.” He says.
“Good morning.” I mumble.
“You’re not really awake yet, are you?”
“Kinda.”
“Well you can go back to sleep if you want to. I told my parents I’m gonna take a nap so they went out. We have the whole house to ourselves.”

I snuggle back into his chest a little more, enjoying the warmth of his body surrounding me again after so long without each other.

“How was the rest of the game?” I ask.
“When did you fall asleep?”
“3-1.”
He chuckles.
“It was 6-1 final. I scored number 4 and assisted number six.”
I smile with my eyes still closed.
“I guess that means I owe you.”

I chuckle, feeling him grow against my back.

“Don’t tease me.” He growls. “I’m exhausted and I need a nap.”
“A deal is a deal, baby. But we can wait until you wake up. Your parents might be home by then. But we can make it work.”
“Charlie....”

I laugh and grab his hand, pulling him close to me.

“Someone has to help me shower later anyway.”
♠ ♠ ♠
We're getting so close to labor and delivery, I can't wait.

Ughhhhhh

Comments?????? :)

PS. Anyone see that he adopted a kitten today? It's name is Flower and I'm in love. With both of them. But mainly him. ADORABLE.
https://twitter.com/FlyersNation/status/478616759201566720