‹ Prequel: The Maroon Beret

A New Life

Two

-Sean-
There’s nothing like finding out that your wife is pregnant. It’s the single most amazing feeling in the world. Well, so far. Charlie just started showing a couple weeks ago, and I can’t even begin to describe how it feels to see that little bump. To know that a tiny human is growing inside of her, and that I’m responsible for giving it life. I, Sean Couturier, created a life.

I understand, though, why Brayden was so scared at first when he found out about little Elise Rose Schenn. It’s a crazy thought. I’m only twenty two years old. I’m in the prime of my career already. My friends from high school are still in college. And in a couple short months I’m going to become a father. I’m going to be responsible for a little baby, making sure that all of it’s needs are met. That for the next eighteen years it has the proper food, education and love that it needs. Am I really ready for that?

With any other woman, I would say no. But with Charlie, I’m ready to take on the world.

I’m a little nervous about flying home to Philly without Charlie, but I know I can’t show that to anyone. Especially not her. I wish I could have stayed in Los Angeles with her a little longer, especially since tonight she’s going on Jimmy Fallon. But preseason starts tomorrow, and I have to be there. I’m only nervous because like what if something happens to her while she’s out there? What if she gets hurt or what if something happens to the baby? I realize I’m a little over protective, but that’s my wife and unborn child. It’s my job to worry about them.

The plane is finally boarding and I slide into my window seat in first class. I text Charlie to let her know again how much I love her, and put my phone on airplane mode. I throw on my beats and put on my Zac Brown Band playlist, allowing my thoughts to wander to four months ago, on the happiest day of my life so far.
----------------
“We’re having a baby?” I ask.
“We’re having a baby.” She smiles.

I jump up out of my seat and lift her into my arms, spinning around in a circle. I slowly lower her to the ground and place my hands over her belly.

“Holy shit!” I cry out, tears streaming down my face. “This is real?” She nods, laughing. “I’m officially the happiest man in the world. I mean, I was before. Because I have you. But oh my God, Charlie. I’m going to be a dad!”

“You deserve it, Sean. I’m so happy I can finally give this gift to you.”
“We deserve it, baby. Not just me.”

I grab out dishes and drop them in the sink before leading Charlie to the comfy couch and sitting her down. I kneel down in front of her and lift her shirt, kissing her stomach.

“Hello, baby.” I say, rubbing my thumb in a small circle. “I’m your daddy. You’re probably not even the size of like a pea right now, but I already love you with all of my heart. And in nine months, I’ll find a way to love you even more. I’m going to do everything that I can to protect you and your mommy while you’re in there, so just trust me okay?”

I nuzzle my nose against Charlie’s skin and feel a wet drop on my forehead. I look up and see tears running down Charlie’s face.

“That was the sweetest thing I’ve ever heard.” She says, sniffling. “Wow, I’m suddenly such a sap.”
“I love you, Charlie.” I say, sitting next to her and wrapping my arms around her. “I’m so excited to have a baby with you.”
“I love you, Sean.”
“Let’s call my parents!” I suggest, suddenly overwhelmed at the idea of sharing the news with everyone.
“Okay.” She laughs, wiping tears from her eyes.

I grab my phone and dial my dad’s number, putting it on speaker phone. He answers after a couple rings.

“Are you getting old already? You already called me once today!” He laughs.
“Yeah, I know. But Charlie is here with me and we’ve got something to tell you.”
“Charlie my dear! Hello!”
“Hi, Sylvain! Happy Father’s Day. How are you?”
“I’m doing fantastic now that I’ve heard your beautiful voice. How are you?”
“I’m surprisingly having the greatest day of my life today.” She answers, smiling at me.
“Dad, is mom around?” I ask.
“She’s over at Lorraine’s for her book club right now. What’s up?”

Charlie and I share a silent glance, agreeing that we can’t wait to tell the news.

“Well. I got the greatest Father’s Day gift ever today.” I say, getting choked up all over again at the thought.
“What’s that?” He asks, not getting my hint.
“The news that I’m going to be a father.” I laugh.
“Are you serious?” He asks.
“Three pregnancy tests serious.” Charlie pipes up.
“That’s incredible! Holy cow. I’m going to be a grandfather!”
Charlie and I laugh.
“Wow. I’m so excited right now.” He sniffles.

My father has never been one to show emotions. As a former NHL-player, he has this mentality that no one really needs to know when he’s feeling some strong emotions. I’m pretty sure the only time I’ve ever seen him cry was when my grandmother died, and that was when I was seven years old. So the fact that he’s crying right now really means something.

“We’re really excited too.” Charlie says.
“Congratulations. Send us a copy of every sonogram, okay?” He asks.
“Of course.” I promise. “Should I call mom right now?”
“Oh, yes. That annoying Helen has been all over about how her daughter just adopted a kid, and apparently has been rubbing it in everyone else’s faces that she’s a grandma. Give your mother something to fight back with. You know, other than the fact that her son is in the NHL.”

I laugh. That’s totally something my dad would say. As stoic as he comes across to those who don’t know him, he’s totally the opposite. He’s always looking for a way to mess with someone, and even more so when it’s someone who bugs my mom. Charlie and I say goodbye to my dad and hang up. I press a soft kiss to Charlie’s head and dial my mom’s number.

“Sean, darling. Hello!”
“Hey mom, is this a bad time?”
“Well, I’m at my book club meeting right now. What’s up?”
We can hear the chatter of the women in the background.
“We have something to tell you.” Charlie says.
“Charlie, dear! How are you?”
“I’m good, thank you. How are you?”
“I’m fantastic! It’s so good to hear from my favorite daughter-in-law.”
Charlie laughs.
“I’m pretty sure I’m your only daughter-in-law.” She says.
“Well, you’d still be my favorite if I had a hundred. To what do I owe the pleasure of having both of you call me?”
“Well, we have some news for you.” Charlie says.
“And what would that be?”
“Charlie gave me the greatest Father’s Day present ever today.” I say.

The line goes silent, and all we can hear is the distant chatter.

“Did you- did you just say....”
I chuckle, knowing that at least my mom got the hint.
“Yeah, I did.”
“I’M GOING TO BE A GRANDMA?” She screams.
Charlie and I both throw our head backs in laughter.
“Yes, I am pregnant and you’re going to be a grandma.” Charlie says, smiling at the phone.
“Oh, this is the greatest day of my life!” I can tell she’s crying. “Guys, I’m going to be a grandma! Charlie is pregnant!” She yells, shifting the phone away from her mouth.

We hear a chorus of cheers in the background and my mom’s silent sobbing.

“Oh, Sean. You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting for this. I hoped that maybe as soon as Charlie came home from the hospital that it would happen. But oh my gosh it was totally worth the wait. I’m so happy right now.”

“We are too.” I say, pulling Charlie closer to me and pressing a kiss to her temple.
“I love you both so much.” She says.
“We love you too.” Charlie responds.
“Have you told your father?” She asks.
“Yeah, we just called him hoping you were with him. He told us to call you even though you’re at your book club. Something about Helen being obnoxious?”
Mom chuckles.
“Oh, your father is such a rat.”

We all bid our goodbyes and promise to come visit soon, bringing copies of our sonograms of course.

“I want to call my brother.” Charlie says when we hang up.
“Okay.”
I dial his number and it almost goes to voicemail. But he picks up at the last second.

“Couturier, what’s up?” He asks, out of breath.
“Hey Andy!” Charlie says.
“Well hello there, little sister. I wasn’t expecting to hear your voice!”

“Well you still greeted me properly.” She winks at me.
“Yeah, yeah. You steal Sean’s phone or something?”

“No, I’m here too.” I say.
“So what did I do that I've got my sister and my brother-in-law on the phone at the same time?” He asks. “I’m pretty sure we just saw each other a couple hours ago.”
“Well... I’ve got some news that I wasn’t ready to share with you yet. But now Sean and I are ready to spill the beans.”
“Okay, shoot.”
“I gave Sean the perfect Father’s Day present today.”

I wrinkle my nose at her, poking fun at the fact that she stole my hint.

“What’s that?” He asks. Clearly he and my dad should be friends.
“I’m going to be a father.” I say.
“Woah, seriously?” He asks, his voice cracking.
“Yeah, Andy. You’re going to be an uncle.” Charlie says.
“That’s fucking amazing!”
We all laugh.
“Crazy Uncle Drew.” Charlie jokes.
“More like awesome Uncle Drew! Wow, that’s amazing. I’m so happy for you two.”
“Thanks, man. We couldn’t be happier.” I say.

Just like the calls with my parents, we promise to share our baby’s first pictures before hanging up.

“I was thinking about posting a picture on social media.” Charlie says, nervously.
“I want to shout it to the world. But twitter is good enough.” I joke.

Charlie grabs her phone and takes my hand, wrapping it protectively around her stomach before snapping a photo of them. It’s perfect because it’s both of our left hands and our rings are shining.

“Wait, send that to me. I want to text it to the guys before it goes anywhere. It’s only fair.” I say.
“Oh, yeah. Definitely.” She agrees.

The photo is soon in my inbox and I forward it in a group chat to the guys, instantly getting replies.


Sean: Happy Father’s Day, guys.
Hartsy: You too, man.
Hartsy: Wait. Really?
Giroux: Holy shit.
Brayden: You serious right now?
Rinaldo: COUTS IS GOING TO BE A DAD!
Kimmo: Congratulations, my friend. Welcome to the wonderful world of being a father.
Hartsy: No, but seriously. For real?
Matt: Let’s hope it gets Charlie’s looks, eh? Kidding, man. Congrats.
Jake: Baby Couts!
Mase: I want to be it’s godfather.
Rinaldo: If it’s a boy, you should name it Zac.
Mac: Who the hell would name their kid Zac? Congrats, Couts.
Vinny: Congratulations. It’s an amazing feeling, eh?
Brayden: Janine is freaking out right now. She’s going to call Charlie in like 30 minutes once we get Ellie to sleep.
Simmonds: Why the hell are you all blowing up my phone like this during the off season?
Simmonds: Holy shit, Couts! Congrats!
Luke: Wow, man. That’s fantastic. Tell Charlie congratulations from me.
Hartsy: Mase fuck off, everyone knows I’m going to be the godfather.
Giroux: Not with language like that, you moron. It’s bad enough you corrupt your own son with that ugly ass face and trash mouth.


I can’t help but laugh as the texts roll in one after another. This group is such a family, and I love them all like they’re my brothers. I turn my screen so Charlie can read the messages at they roll in, and she laughs along with me.

“Time to announce it to the world.” She smiles.

I watch her pull up her Instagram and make a new post.

“@SrACharlieC: Happy Father’s Day to all current and expecting dads! #Happy”

She posts the same thing on twitter, and the responses come flowing in almost as immediately as she puts it up. We spend the next half hour reading through the comments together, me rubbing her belly the entire time. Eventually, Charlie’s phone begins ringing and I can see it’s Janine. I excuse myself to draw a relaxing bath for the two of us and respond to the hoards of texts on my way.


Sean: Yes, Charlie is officially pregnant. I am going to be a father. Thank you all for your kind words. If it’s a boy, we’re not naming it Zac. And we’ll discuss godfathers later on. You know, when she’s more than a month pregnant. But seriously, thank you all. I'm so fucking happy right now I can't even put it into words.

I drop my phone on the bed and head towards our bathroom, turning on the water in the tub. I catch sight of something on the counter by the sink and walk over, realizing it’s three pregnancy tests. Seeing the pink plus signs on each one, I instantly get choked up. Three positive pregnancy tests. This is real. I’m going to be a dad.

Can I frame these?

----------------
At some point during the flight my playlist must have run out and the sound of the captain’s voice over the intercom wakes me from the sleep I didn’t realize I was in, announcing our descent into Philly. I stretch my arms, accidentally knocking into the seat next to me.

“Sorry.” I quickly say to the young boy next to me.
He looks at me and his eyes go wide, realizing who’s sitting next to him for the first time. I smile at the boy.
“You’re Sean Couturier!” He says.
“Yes I am.”
“Woah. Mom! I’m sitting next to Sean Couturier!” He whispers to the woman to his right.
“Well would you look at that, you are.” She says, smiling at me.
“I’m sorry I was a terrible seat mate.” I say, holding out my hand to him.
He looks at it, bewildered. His mother nods her head and he slips his small hand into mine, shaking it.
“You’re like my idol.” The kid breathes.
“Wow, thank you.” I say, blushing. “Do you play hockey?”
He nods his head. “Is it true that your wife is pregnant?” He asks.
His mom shushes him, but I smile and nod my head.
“It is true.” I admit, smiling.
“That’s so cool. Is it a boy or a girl?”
“We don’t know yet. We’ll find out next month.”
“Well I hope it’s a boy so he can play hockey and be awesome like you.”
“I guess we’ll see.” I smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little throw back to sharing the announcement :)

Got some fun stuff coming up. Would love to hear all of your comments.