Status: Updated every Tuesday and Thursday!

The Hummingbird

The Unexpected Visitor

“Vivian we’re back and I didn’t get you anything!” Delilah yelled, grinning like a Cheshire cat. Blake, Adam, Isabella and Harley followed closely at her heels as they entered The Hummingbird Inn carrying plastic bags filled with food.

Blake rolled his eyes. “Idiot,” he mumbled under his breath. He didn’t mumble it quietly enough, as Delilah heard him and turned back to give him a blank stare. He went to say something but thought twice, closing his mouth and turning away to avoid her stare.

Vivian walked out of the kitchen to see Isabella and Harley waving their hands in front of Delilah’s face as she stared at Blake. She sighed a simple “Let me,” before walking over and pulling the hands of the girls down, instead lightly touching the neck of Delilah to shock her out of it.

Delilah jolted out of her daze at the sudden touch. She gave Vivian a half-hearted smile before motioning the others over to the table and placing the bakery food down.

“We need plates, napkins and cutlery,” Delilah stated as Isabella nodded her head and went to fetch the things Delilah had listed. Delilah went about setting the table quickly, putting all the food in the middle for everyone to grab and putting plates at seats before sitting close to the middle.

“See anyone while you were out there?” Vivian asked, making small talk as everyone grabbed food for themselves.

“Just my grandma and Tristan. She was muttering about some unnecessary call-in. Grandma said hello and introduced herself to the newcomers of the town,” Adam smiled, nudging Delilah.

“She was lovely,” Delilah replied, after finishing her mouthful and taking a sip of her iced tea.

“I’ll have to meet her at some point, we’ll have to get some vegetables and fruits for the guest kitchen,” Vivian mused, taking a piece of apple turnover for herself.

“There’s a delivery company right? Maybe we should see if we can get weekly grocery deliveries, then we won’t have to worry about going out and getting them?” Delilah suggested absent-mindly.

“Hm, I don’t really see the point,” Vivian said matter-of-factly, “It’s a few minutes away on a bike, I can just go down there and back, it wouldn’t even take that long.”

Delilah shook her head, “A bike? We’re not talking about food between ourselves Vi, we’re talking about … a … a buttload of groceries. Ingredients for the food we serve, fresh fruit and veggies. The ingredients alone are going to be difficult to transport, even with my car.”

“Alright, so we do one huge load that will require your car. I concede that. But if I stay on top of what’s in stock, it’ll be one small trip a day, with a full basket on my bike!” Vivian threw her hands up in the air, her point made.

Delilah turned to the group in exasperation. “Guys, tell her she’s nuts! A bike ride to the store every day is a waste of time and energy!” Delilah turned back to Vivian, “Vi, you’re going to be too busy to have time to bike ride everyday to pick up your ingredients, not to mention it’s not time efficient,” Delilah declared, almost on the verge of huffing and puffing.

“I can, I’ll wake up earlier,” Vivian declared, staring determinedly at Delilah.

Delilah shook her head, throwing her hands up in the air, “Vi, you can’t even wake up early!”

Vivian sighed in defeat, letting her head drop to stare at the table. “I do like to sleep.”

Delilah rolled her eyes, “See! You say you’d wake up early but if we went with your plan I’d end up being the one to have to go every morning,”

“What’s your idea then?” Vivian countered, lifting her head up from its previous position to look at Delilah again.

“I may have a solution,” Isabella mumbled. The boys and Harley looked at her, before getting interrupted by Delilah.

“I told you my idea!” Delilah yelled, getting frustrated. “We have it delivered to us.”

“Isabella has an idea!” Harley yelled back, standing up.

Both girls paused and turned to the other members of their group, having momentarily forgotten they had an audience.

“There’s a delivery company in town, I’m sure they’d be happy to help,” Isabella explained, having all eyes on her.

A triumphant smirk lit Delilah’s features and she turned fully to face Isabella. “Why didn’t you say so sooner?”
“W-well, I tried, but you were a bit busy,” Isabella replied.

“So it’s settled then, we’re going with the delivery company. Isabella, will you come with me to sort it out?” Delilah asked the girl in question, before turning to Vivian. “We’ll head off to sort this out now and get it over and done with, we’ll catch you guys later,” Delilah waved, walking out of the room with Isabella trailing after her.

“Wait, Estella’s interested in being our receptionist!” Vivian yelled at her retreating form.

“Okay, she’s hired!” Delilah shouted back, slamming the front door closed on her way out.

“But we haven’t even seen her references or- why do I bother,” Vivian mumbled, turning back around. “I’ll give Estella a quick call, don’t break anything,” she said to the two men remaining in the lounge, Adam and Blake, knowing Harley wouldn't break anything.

“We would never,” Adam declared, feigning innocence as he put a hand on his heart. Blake looked at Vivian as he pushed a tissue box off the table, Harley diving off her chair to catch it.

Vivian simply turned around and entered the office, walking to the phone and entering Estella’s home number.

“I’m going home, I have work to do. I’ve been spending too much time here,” Blake grumbled as he got up from his seat.

“See you around then Blake?” Adam questioned, taking another piece of apple turnover as Blake made his way to the door, Harley simply waving goodbye to him.

“Sure, whatever,” Blake responded. He opened up the door only to find a young woman poised with her fist ready to knock upon it. After a moment of staring, Blake pushed past the young woman.

“Where are your manners?” she screeched, whirling around and placing her hands on her hips.

“What the hell are those?” Blake said snarkily.

“Blake!” Vivian yelled, appearing at the front door. After a hard glare towards him, she turned her attention to the unknown woman at the doorstep. “You must be Miss Jones, the woman looking for a room? Please, come in!” Vivian exclaimed, ushering her up the steps and into the Inn. “Estella told me on the phone that you had a bit of trouble with the motel owner, and Tristan was called? We’ll sort everything out right away, no trouble at all,” Vivian could be heard as she and Miss Jones walked further into reception.

“Is what happened outside how you normally treat your first guest?” she asked.
♠ ♠ ♠
We finally updated! Woo. Hope you enjoyed this chapter :)

I've changed Delilah's looks as well. -Jordy