Status: Updated every Tuesday and Thursday!

The Hummingbird

Ideas In Motion

Vivian walked back through the doors to the cafe, brightening once she saw her friend. “Hey there Delilah,” Vivian grinned, not at all sorry for her joke. “What are you doing there, rearranging tables all on your own? Let me help, it’ll go twice as fast.”

“New York City is crowded and busy, but it’s fun at times,” Delilah smiled in response to Vivian’s joke. “Sure, I was just trying to make the layout of the cafe nicer, spread out the tables a little better for people to walk through to get to the gardens,” Delilah stated.

“Brilliant, I actually wanted to talk to you about that,” Vivian took the chance. “I’m sure you were watching Adam and I talking outside for a bit,” she looked at Delilah with an eyebrow raised. “After some mild, and I mean mild, flirtation, do not freak out on me,” Vivian pointed a warning finger at Delilah, “Adam showed me some of his ideas for what he could do with the garden. I think you’ll really like them.”

“Whatever do you mean?” Delilah batted her eyelashes, feigning innocence but making kissy faces at Vivian. “Anyway, what were these ideas? I’m game for anything that helps us get people through our doors.” Delilah leant against one of the tables, ready to listen to Vivian.

“He thought some themed gardens might draw customers in,” Vivian answered. “A rose garden, with a gazebo. I did a little bit of thinking on it and we could do some teas there maybe, special events when the weather’s good. What do you think of that?”

“Like high teas?” Delilah’s eyes sparkled with excitement, “I like that idea! Give it a different, outdoorsy feel than here in the cafe, and if someone wanted to hold a private function they could hire out the ‘Rose Garden’ to hold it.” Delilah got giddy at the thought. “What other ideas does our little gardener genius have?” As she got more and more excited, her slight movements caused the table that was supporting her to move ever so subtly, startling her.

“Little gardener genius?” Vivian questioned, making a face at that. “Poor Adam.”

“He’s like our Fairy Godgardner?” Delilah stopped leaning against the table after her small fright and tapped her chin in thought. “He appeared out of nowhere, expected nothing in return and is now helping us come up with ideas to get people to like us and what we have to offer.” She gave a sly grin. “I like it, Fairy Godgardner,” she nodded her head.

Vivian chuckled at that, shaking her head softly. “Anyway, he said something about a scent garden? You plant sweet-smelling flowers so that people don’t look at the flowers, they smell them.”

“Another fantastic idea!” Delilah agreed.

“But is there anything else we can do with it?” Vivian frowned. “From a business standpoint, I mean. Maybe I could use some flowers in baking?”

“And perfumes would be another idea, ‘The Scent of the Hummingbird Gardens’ or something,” Delilah shrugged but threw her own idea out there.

“Do you know how to make perfume? I sure don’t,” Vivian mirrored Delilah’s own gesture, shrugging her shoulders. “We’ll have to look it up.”

“I’d be willing to learn, who knows, maybe it’ll become so popular we’ll need to hire staff just to make perfumes,” Delilah giggled maniacally.

“Alright, maybe first we should actually try making it?” Vivian suggested. “Just slow down. Adam also thought a garden with a pond would look nice in that one shady patch. Get some flowers that grow in water.”

“Like an aquatic garden? I like the thought of a magical garden, maybe like a fairy garden? Something children could have fun in, little ornaments and statues.” Delilah had a look like she was away with the fairies as she spoke.

“That’s a hard theme to match,” Vivian tried to think of flowers that could match the theme of fairies. “Are there even any flowers like that?”

Coming back to reality Delilah pouted, “why you gotta kill my dreams with realistic, sensible questions?”

“Because that’s just how I am,” Vivian said. “You paint, and I bake. You dream, and I help to make it a little bit more real-world.”

“That’s why you’re the perfect business partner for me, someone to keep me anchored to reality,” Delilah stuck her tongue out playfully at Vi.

“Aw,” Vivian smiled, poking Delilah. “We can ask Adam if there are any flowers that can match that.” Seeing that Delilah was in a good mood, she decided to address another issue. “There’s something else too. The maid costumes.”

“Aren’t working, I know, I’ve spoken to Isabella and we’re coming up with more practical uniforms, possibly just a colour shirt and jeans, casual but still has the hummingbird flare,” Delilah became serious as she spoke. “Not all business ideas will work out,” she stated.

Vivian was relieved at how well she took it. “Oh good. What about a white shirt and maybe a piece of jewellery with a hummingbird on it?”

“White shirts are so boring though.” Delilah groaned in exasperation. “But fiiine, it’ll look much nicer in the long run, cohesive too. Being an adult sucks,” Delilah sighed.

Vivian laughed at that, moving to shift a table. “Come on, we’d better get this done. Where to?”

Delilah instructed Vivian, “so back to this mild flirtation between you and Adam,” Delilah grinned, beginning to grill Vivian with questions on what went down earlier. Vivian rolled her eyes, sighing with annoyance but answering each question her nosy friend was asking her. The young women continued to move furniture and decorate the cafe more efficiently so it would give more space to move and allow for another table or two.

As they finished, Vivian stood back and took a proper look at the changes they’d made. “Not bad,” she praised. “I’d say we’ve earned ourselves a cookie, at the very least.”

“I’ve been looking for you two everywhere!” Illiana complained, stomping up behind them. “We’re out of almond milk in the guest kitchen, and there is no way in civilized hell I am doing normal milk. Fix it!”

Delilah turned to Illiana and narrowed her eyes, “well,” she paused, breathing out before walking passed their guest and grabbing her keys. “Grab your coat then, you can come along,” Delilah informed.

“Wait, what?” Illiana barked back, hesitating for a moment before grabbing her coat and purse to follow after Delilah.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update! Woo! We hope to have the next one out soon so keep an eye out~
If anyone has any requests for some guests to come to the Hummingbird Inn let us know! We have a couple of ideas on guest *heh* appearance ;)