Status: Updated every Tuesday and Thursday!

The Hummingbird

Ambitions Of A Pretty Girl.

“No almond milk,” Illiana scoffed, still going on about it. “It’s like you live in the Dark Ages.”

“If we wanted you to experience the Dark Ages we would have given you a bucket to milk a cow yourself,” Delilah replied, her tone was light and teasing.

“Not with these nails,” Illiana held her hand out in front of her, admiring the painted color shimmering in the light.

Delilah by now had pulled up to the grocery store and parked, glancing over at her nails she admired them. “They’re a pretty colour, appropriate for Silverlea,” Delilah smiled, stepping out of her car and waiting for Illiana.

“I wouldn’t have thought so,” Illiana opened the car door herself after waiting for Delilah to do it, to no avail. “So far, it just seems to be green and brown. Is there even anything original in this town?”

“You’re kidding me right?” Delilah had to push down her sudden anger, offended by Illiana’s words. “Silverlea is one of the most tranquil, gorgeous towns around. You would know, if you left your room.” Delilah sighed, locked her car and headed for the store. “But maybe that’s why you don’t like it here, it’s too peaceful,” Delilah grabbed a basket and walked in.

“I went out of my room today,” Illiana pointed out, straggling behind Delilah and trying to avoid any mud on the pavement. “Listen, I’m not used to tranquil. I like partying and drinking and maxing my father’s credit card. Don’t really think I can do that here.”

“That sounds like a full on life,” Delilah turned to Illiana, looking at her in thought. “Don’t you get bored of that life? I can’t imagine you have many real friends,” Delilah wondered if she was being too blunt again, reflecting on what Blake had said but not helping that she was so plain and simple with her speech.

“I have lots of… friends,” Illiana trailed off, a thought striking her. Most of those so-called friends didn’t care that she was here, instead carrying on with the lifestyle Illiana was used to. Covering up her discovery, Illiana carried on. “How could I get bored? There’s always a different party for me to attend.”

“And that fulfills you? Partying? Come on Illiana, you and I both know you’re a smart woman with so much more potential.” Delilah found the almond milk and placed it in the basket. “You clearly know what you like and aren’t afraid to go after what you want. How can a life of partying be the end game for you?” Delilah frowned, grabbing some other essentials needed before making her way to the check-out.

“That’s the first time anyone’s ever said that to me,” Illiana mumbled. “Thank you.”

Delilah only smiled, glad to have found out a little bit more about Illiana and what kind of person she really is. “I’m glad you found your way to our Inn, I hoped it’d help you discover your potential,” Delilah paid for the items and grabbed her two bags of groceries.

“But all I’ve ever done is party and spend money,” Illiana argued, “what potential is there in that?”

“Surely you have a hobby or passion?” Delilah tried to jog Illiana with ideas. “You like spending money, you should look into making it, create a business or something. That’s what I did at least, I have all these ideas for making money, how it can benefit the community around me and how it can support myself and my passion for art.” Delilah blushed, realizing she was rambling.

“I don’t know,” Illiana said uneasily. “I don’t want to try something and fail.”

“You could try something small at first, failure is inevitable but also a great lesson that leads to success.” Delilah tried to encourage as she unlocked her car and put her groceries in the backseat before climbing into the drivers side.

“Right,” Illiana smiled weakly. “My parents don’t really accept failure. But I’ll give it a try.” Illiana got back into the passenger's side of the car and Delilah reversed out of the park before heading back to the Inn. “Why did you come to Silverlea?” Illiana asked out of the blue. “What made you come here?”

“I used to live here when I was young, moved to the city when I was…” Delilah paused to think for a moment before continuing, “eight? But I continued to visit during the summer times. My Aunt owned The Hummingbird and I’d come help her. I used to love imagining all the things I could do to improve it but my Aunt was an old-fashioned lady, hated change. It was rather frustrating, seeing the potential but being shot down idea after idea.” Delilah’s expression showed the frustration she felt at the time.

“That sounds really nice,” Illiana said. “Growing up like that. Having the opportunities of a big city and being able to get away to a place like this.”

“I guess you’re right,” Delilah relaxed back into her smile. “The city fuelled my ambition, allowed me to focus and work hard on my studies, my summers in Silverlea expanded my artistic passion, igniting my creativity.” Delilah realized how much she truly loved this little town.

“Maybe I should do a course,” Illiana mused. “The other girl mentioned flowers, I like flowers.”

Delilah groaned teasingly, “Vivian, her name is Vivian,” she smiled, “I like flowers too, what about flowers do you like?” Delilah asked, wanting to prod Illiana into thinking of some ideas.

“I like how you feel when you get a bouquet,” Illiana looked out the window dreamily. “And the smell in warm sunshine. You should see my perfume collection, it’s huge.”

“Maybe you should make a perfume line to include flowers,” Delilah half-joked. “Vivian and I spoke about opening up a portion of the garden and making it ‘The Scent of the Hummingbird Gardens’ where it has the best smelling flowers, it’d be cool to turn those certain flowers into perfumes, maybe we could do a collab,” Delilah was getting ahead of herself again but was too excited to stop.

“Maybe I should find out if there’s a course for perfume-making first?” Illiana suggested, legitimately excited and hopeful for her future, instead of just frittering it away.

“I’m excited too!” Delilah pulled into the Inn and parked up as she got out, on cloud nine at the thought of having helped someone to discover what they wanted to do in life.
♠ ♠ ♠
Background work on our guest character :)
Hope we portrayed her well!