Status: Updated every Tuesday and Thursday!

The Hummingbird

Open for Business

Vivian wiped her forehead dramatically, before collapsing on the floor. “We’re finished,” she groaned, “finally!”

“Pick your butt up off the floor,” Delilah remarked, walking in to see Vivian fall on the floor covered in paint, “and look at this.”

“Can’t I just stay on the ground for a little while longer?” Vivian whined, throwing an arm over her head.

“No,” Delilah replied, waving a newspaper in Vivian’s face. “Not when the Silverlea Chronicle has released its article about the Hummingbird being open for business once again!”

“Let me see!” Vivian gasped, sitting upright and snatching the newspaper from Delilah’s hands.

Image


The Hummingbird is taking off!
By Richard Brooks, April 2nd.

The Hummingbird has been a vital part of our town’s economy for many decades, but in the past few years, it has not been open for business due to the old age of the most recent caretaker of the property, Miss Carol Lemay. Whilst we all do miss old Aunt Lemay, I am delighted to report that the Hummingbird will be re-opening under the guidance of Aunt Lemay’s niece, Delilah Lemay, and she will also be helped by Vivian Bridgeman, who has moved on from her family’s bakery for the time being.

In an interview conducted with them on the 31st of March, on a busy afternoon filled with painting and laughter, they struck me as being prepared for anything. Here is the interview with my questions for them concerning the Hummingbird;

So, when can we expect the Hummingbird to be open for business Delilah?
We expect the Inn to be re-opened next Monday, but along with the Inn re-opening we’ll also have the small cafe up and running as well! So, if you’re in the mood for some classic Bridgeman’s Bakery fare then come down and check it out, and don’t forget to take a look at the new theme of the cafe.

What made you decide to re-open the Hummingbird after your Aunt Lemay had closed it?
Hummingbird Inn was one of my most treasured places as a child, and it stayed with me throughout my life. So, when I heard that I’d inherited the Inn from my Aunt, I knew I had to re-open it. I want to continue creating happy memories here, not just for myself, but for the rest of the town and the guests that come here as well.

Tell me, why bring in someone who’s not related to the family to help run it?
You mean Vivian? To me Vivian is family, she’s a sister, I trust her with my life and I know she does the best she can at what she loves. There isn’t anyone better for being a co-owner than Vivian because she’s a hard-worker.

Vivian, what about your family’s bakery? I know the Bridgeman elders have retired, so who else will run the bakery?
The bakery is important to me and my family, so it won’t be closing fully. Just think of it moving to a different location. That’s how I choose to see it. If you can’t be bothered to make your way to the Hummingbird for some baked goods, I can fully recommend the bakery Grace runs in the middle of town. They make a mean apple turnover, something I’ve never been able to fully master.

Who else will be helping you to run the cafe?
Well, Vivian will be baking of course, and we’ve actually got some positions open for waitresses, if anyone’s interested. Come see us at the Hummingbird to inquire about a job, and we’ll see what we can do for you!

I wish good fortune to the girls in their endeavours to bring the Hummingbird to its full deserved fame, and I know I’ll be popping into the Hummingbird when it’s open for a scone and a tour!


Image


“Wow,” Vivian breathed, “That’s certainly a helpful article. With the way good ol’ Rich praised us, we’ll be getting customers in no time!”

“Naturally, isn’t it exciting, we’re really business owners!” Delilah squealed in excitement.

“Seems like it,” Vivian replied, grinning at her friend’s obvious happiness. “Looks like we’ve made it little sister.”

“Don’t count your chickens before they hatch Vi, we still have to have customers come in and guests want to stay before we count ourselves as making it,” Delilah teased affectionately.

“At least I look at the silver linings,” Vivian grumbled, pulling herself up. “But at least we’ve finally finished moving the new furniture in. It looks good with the new colours on the walls.”

“It looks great,” Delilah murmured. Her eyes scanned the room they were in and she smiled. With the help of Blake, Adam and Christian they had managed to pull everything together relatively quickly, getting half of the bed and breakfast ready for guests in three weeks.

The girls were cut short in the appreciation of their hard work by a short knock on the door. Delilah and Vivian grinned at each other, before racing to the door.

The Hummingbird was officially open for business.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hummingbird Inn is official open for business and with that being said prepare to have new characters introduced as well as old ones coming back in! :)

Richard Brooks is owned by Jess and I.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the characters so far, who's your favourite and why? :)

-Jordy