Status: Updated every Tuesday and Thursday!

The Hummingbird

Hired Help.

The girls raced to the door, fighting each other to be the first person there. Delilah won out after upping her speed at the last second, opening the door wide with a grin on her face. “Hey, how can we help you?” she said, finding two young woman standing on the other side of the doors.

“Are you the owners of the Hummingbird?” the brown-haired girl asked.

“Yes,” Vivian answered, giving a small glare to Delilah before shaking her head at her, “what can we do for you?”

“We saw you advertising job positions in the newspaper and want to apply,” the other young woman replied, her pastel pink hair waving in the breeze.

Delilah stared at the two young woman for a moment, before exclaiming “You’re both hired, welcome to the family!” she flashed the girls a grin.

Vivian sighed, putting a hand over her eyes. “Delilah, we’ve talked about this. We at least have to interview them, or see their applications.” Delilah turned to look at Vivian, her grin disappearing as she looked sadly at Vivian. “Don’t,” warned Vivian, “stop that. No!” They continued arguing in their own way, leaving the two girls on the doorstep to watch them in confusion. After a minute of Vivian adamantly refusing Delilah, she caved. “Fine, they’re hired. Only because I know them personally and I’m sure they’d do a good job,” Vivian stared at the two girls, gaining frantic nods from them, “but we can’t do this for everyone!” she added.

“Yay!” Delilah squealed, bringing Vivian into a tight hug before letting go and grabbing the two young women by their hands and dragging them inside. “So, what positions were you wanting to apply for anyway?” Delilah asked, letting go of them as they made it into the lounge.

“Of course, we hired them without knowing what they were applying for,” Vivian rolled her eyes. “Isabella, what did you want?”

The brown-haired girl answered with “A waitress?”

Delilah smiled at Isabella, “Come on girl, you need to be more confident in what you’re applying for,” she stated matter-of-factly.

Isabella blushed, nodding her head, “I want to be a waitress!” she exclaimed.

Vivian smiled, glad to see her shy friend already coming out of her shell. Delilah had that effect. “Harley, what about you?”

“A baker,” the pink-haired girl stated firmly, “I want to help make the food that will be sold.”

“You’ll be working with me then,” Vivian grinned, pleased she’d have someone to help her. “Isa, you’ll be working with Delilah.”

“Awesome! Isabella, you can come with me and we’ll talk about what being a waitress at the Hummingbird requires, Harley is all yours Vi,” Delilah motioned Isabella to follow her as they made their way to the cafe. Delilah pushed open the door and took the room in. They had renovated it so it looked brand new and the furniture was placed as well.

“This cafe won’t be like normal ones, we don’t serve savoury food, only sweets, such as cakes, drinks and other desserts.” Delilah explained, “Oh, and I have these cute costumes that I want to be the uniform for the waitresses.” Delilah stated, glancing around to make sure Vivian wasn’t in sight or hearing range because she hadn’t talked about it with her before pulling out a bag from a hiding spot and opening it up to show Isabella.

“Wow, those are cute!” Isabella squealed, as Delilah pulled out a french maid uniform.

“Right?!” Delilah gushed, “I have various sizes, would you like to try one on now?” Isabella nodded her head eagerly as Delilah handed her a size she thought was appropriate. “You can get changed in the room across from here,” Delilah stated, pointing down the hall as Isabella went off in that direction.

While waiting for Isabella, Delilah decided to try one on herself and once one she checked herself out in the closest mirror she could find, grinning at herself as Isabella came out wearing an identical outfit.

“You look so good!” Delilah gushed, bringing Isabella over to look at themselves together.

“I think I’m going to really like working here,” Isabella stated, staring at them both in the reflection.

They made their way back into the cafe, still dressed in the uniforms as Delilah proceeded to tell Isabella more about her job as a waitress.

Image


Vivian and Harley watched the other two young woman go off to the cafe, chatting animatedly as Delilah led Isabella there. Vivian turned to Harley, and pointed her to the kitchen behind the cafe, walking behind the counter and stopping there. “You’ll most likely be helping me back in the kitchen, but you’ll also be running food from the kitchen to the displays, to keep them stocked. I know you already know how to bake,” Vivian smiled at Harley, remembering the taste of her chocolate cake, “but it’s different when you bake commercially compared to when you bake at home.”

“I know,” Harley replied, “that’s why I applied. I want to learn how to bake like you did in your family’s bakery, so I can help my mum back when I go home.”

“Speaking of that,” Vivian frowned, “where are you staying?”

“Nowhere at the moment, just in my car.” Harley shrugged, unconcerned with it.

“No way. Unacceptable,” Vivian said, shaking her head. “We’ll find someone that will let you stay with them.”

“But I really loved sleeping in my car,” Harley retorted sarcastically, “It was the perfect way to sort out a bad back.”

Vivian let out a laugh at Harley’s statement, before ushering her into the kitchen. “Here’s where you’ll be spending most of your time. I’ll have to give you a key to the front doors, because we’ll be starting early in the morning every day, and there’s no way I’m going to be able to drag myself out of bed before you get here.”

“What are we going to be baking?” Harley asked, getting straight to the point, although she grinned at the thought of a morning-hating person being a baker.

“Nothing savoury. The other bakery in town does most of that range, so we’ll be baking the sweet stuff. I don’t really want to start a bakery war,” Vivian chuckled, “and besides, I’m good friends with the owner as it is.”

“So, desserts like cakes?”

“You got it. Cakes, pies, pastries, and sweet drinks as well, but Delilah will be taking care of those mostly. But when we’re not busy, you can help out behind the counter too.”

“I can’t wait!” Harley smiled genuinely, “It’ll be a pleasure to work here.”

‘Let’s go see what the others are up to,” Vivian led Harley out of the kitchen, stopping dead when she caught sight of her two friends.

“What the hell are you wearing?” Vivian yelled, causing the two young women to turn around, Delilah with a mischievous look upon her face.
♠ ♠ ♠
I always seem to be apologizing! We've both been busy with other activities, such as building sets or trying to complete university work.
As a way to try to earn your forgiveness, here is a slightly longer chapter for you. We hope you enjoyed!
Harley belongs to the user AshleyJinxxBiersack, who replied to Jordy's blog about having a character in the Hummingbird story in the comments.
Here is the maid outfit for your perusal!
Rose for reading @};- Jess.