Status: Going slowly.

Little Black Bird

There will be blood.

A loud blast signaled that the fight began. There was nothing but silence for the longest time.

Vos, wearing heavy mail and carrying two very large axes, stumbled into the maze. He had been heading for the rocks, but ended up there. Zeria was there one second and dashed out of sight into the forest the next. She wore tight dark clothing and was armed to the teeth with knives and various other things on her body. Orin, made no fast movements. He seemed to be deciding who he would track first. As if he knew he had the upper hand. There was something very different with him than just an hour ago.

“What is he doing, Luca? Being prey for Zeria is his plan?” Skylark turned to him asking in a hurried whisper. Orin was making his way into the dark, overgrown forest. He hadn’t touched the shield and sword on his back.

There was a shifting in the tops of the trees. Leaves fell from the branches. There was a flash of the dark blue Zeria had been wearing in the high branches. It was hard to see into the forest from the stands. Being in the forest was probably even worse. Something was going to happen very soon.

Luca put a hand on Skylark’s hip to make sure she stayed planted on the ledge. Her whole body screamed that she was going to jump into the pit for Orin at the slightest inkling of fighting.

If it were him in there fighting, Luca would have gone after Vos in the maze. Vos was slow and Luca was a tracker. Getting behind that mountain and taking him out would be easier than finding Zeria in the forest. She was a panther and her prey was walking right into her grasp.

A bellowing crack shattered the silence of the arena. A tree began to fall. A high pitched scream followed the boom of it hitting the ground. The crowd was on the edge of their seats trying to see what was happening. The felled tree made a clearing enough to see Zeria pinned and stabbed through the neck by Orin’s great sword. He pulled the sword out and walked out of sight.

Skylark’s deep blue eyes were wide and caught on the bleeding body under the tree. How did Orin knock that tree down? The whole scene didn’t seem like the honorable man she knew; nothing like the brother that called her sister earlier.

Orin’s red cape fluttered as he came back into view. He was walking for the maze now. Vos was on the left, far side still trying to find the rock area. He was close to the exit over there. Orin was making haste through the maze. He rarely stopped to check any signs of which way Vos had gone. It seemed as though he just knew where the large man was.

Vos found his way out of the maze before Orin found him. He ran into the rocks and found a point where he could watch the maze and be hidden.

It wasn’t long before Orin walked out of the maze. He almost leisurely walked onto the rocks. There was none of the doubt or fear from before inside of him.

Orin turned one way, the wrong way.

“No!” Skylark screamed as Vos jumped from a rock above. Everyone held their breath. Luca’s arms wrapped tightly around Skylark’s waist to stop her near dive off the side of the rock.

The large axes in Vos’ hands were coming in fast on both of Orin’s shoulders. Orin turned quickly. Fast enough to see the steel seconds from encasing into his shoulder blades. The edges struck him.
…and shattered. Orin swung his blade deep through Vos’ stomach. He held the end of his swing for a moment before sheathing his sword. The two broken axes lay at his feet with Vos.

The crowd wasn’t sure what do to. A clap that was too loud started. Skylark turned from the bloody mess to see her father, the King, walking to the front of the box. “My son, Crown Blood of Faen, Orin!” His voice boomed through the silence. Soon the clapping filled the whole stadium and Hands rushed out to take the bodies of the other champions and take Orin away.

The arena emptied. Everyone was off to celebrate the lives of the fallen and crown Orin. Skylark’s family proceeded out as well. She sat there, for a long time. The silent boy stood with her until she seemed ready to speak.

“Lark, we should go congratulate Orin.” Luca told her as he gently took her from the ledge she now seemed glued to.

“They shattered. The steel shattered before it even hit him. You saw that right? It was inches from hitting his shoulder pads and shattered!” Skylark ranted removing herself from Luca’s reach. He was always trying to calm her in times like this. He didn’t have the sense like she did. He knew people and tactics and advice. She was sharp in a different way. The world moved slower in her eyes, things were clearer and sounds louder. “I’m not crazy, Luca...” She sighed hiding her face in her hands.

“I believe you, but we have to get back.” He ushered her down the stairs to leave the arena.

When they reached the bottom of the stairs Brein was waiting for them right outside on the grass. Skylark turned in the opposite direction, towards the chambers and preparation rooms. “There’s something…dark…over there.” No sooner than the words left her pink lips did a clattering running noise sound and the large wolf start growling.

Luca shushed Brein, convinced it was only a large rat or cat. “You keep saying strange things today.” He told Skylark as he walked out of the arena. She watched the darkness for a moment before following the tall male.

The party was in full swing when they arrived back at the town. It had spilled out of the Pomprey house tree and was in the square as well. There was a pyre for the fallen Vos and Zeria. Death was grieved, but funerals were supposed to celebrate life and that’s what they did.

The pair made their way through the madness and into the house. At the end of the large ballroom was a set of thrones; one for the king, one for the queen, and one for the crown blood. Orin; he sat in his throne, the crown upon his head and a grim smile on his face.

Skylark put off greeting her victorious brother. She meandered around the feast. Kana and her groupies avoided her, not unexpected. If a couple scratches was all it took to make her leave, Skylark would have done it ages ago. A few older nobles, who got a kick out of the pixie attack, came and made small talk for a bit and left. The girl was alone for the most part. Luca had to maintain the appearance as a Hand for something like this.

Things died down after a few hours. Skylark found herself outside by the pyre. She prayed for them; though she wasn’t entirely sure who she prayed to, or even if she really was praying. She was being strange today. Something was just tugging at her; a strong feeling, one that was very familiar but very foreign to her at the same time. A dark wave washed over her interrupting her thoughts.

“Little sister,” It was Orin, but that wasn’t the kind sister title she had received earlier. This sound didn’t warm her; it sent chills down her spine. Skylark turned to face him. He seemed darker than usual with a smile planted on his face. “There is just so much about you…so much that I thought I knew…and so much that I know now.”

“You said there was something you wanted to tell me when you won.” Skylark opened trying not to let her voice shake. She was being tough, remember? Whatever was wrong with Orin didn’t scare her.

Orin let out a deep chuckle that was mixed with something fake and something very dangerous. “Oh yes, out of the kindness of my heart I wanted to tell you that you don’t belong here. You aren’t my sister.” He paused to watch this sink in on Skylark’s face. “Don’t worry though little Lark,” ‘little Lark’ that was Luca’s pet name for her, it sounded so wrong coming from this dark Orin. “You’re so much more than a lied to orphan. That’s the part that I didn’t realize before.”

The admission that she wasn’t related to any of her family didn’t come as that great of a shock to Skylark. “Well that explains some things doesn’t it?” The much smaller girl wiped her hands on her dress nervously. She felt like she was prey being stalked. “And this realization is the reason you’re acting so strangely?” She questioned trying to remember her lessons with Luca in case he came after her.

He shook his head and almost laughed at her question. “I am behaving in no such way. I have just acquired the ability to see more than I used to. Actually, I’ve acquired a lot more than just that.” His voice was low and held a sort of threat in its sound.

Darkness was washing over her now. It wasn’t the comforting darkness that she liked to sit in, it was an evil darkness. A realization hit her with one of the waves. “Orin, my brother, what have you done?” Her words came out fearful. Her understanding of the situation and the day’s events became clear.

“Oh if only we were related, I wouldn’t have had to do this if I had your blood.” Orin made his advance. He was unarmed but a sword wouldn’t have been the strongest thing at his disposal.

Skylark bolted under his reach tumbling across the ground to land on her feet again. She stuck her fingers in her mouth the way Luca taught her and blew. A loud whistle came out as well as the giant salt and pepper colored wolf from the second story. Brein would know what to do, Skylark hoped. Brein put itself in between the menacing Orin and Skylark; teeth bore already. The wolf made loud noises when Orin tried to make a move.

Guests must have heard the noises because a crowd was forming. This didn’t seem to even register with Orin. His eyes were set on snapping the small blonde girl in front of him.

“Skylark!” Luca’s voice shouted above the crowd’s noise. He shoved his way out of the pack.

Skylark turned quickly trying to put distance between herself and her older brother while Brein threatened to rip out his throat. “Luca! The Voulg, that’s what was in the arena! It got Orin!” She shouted desperately. The words barely got out before Brein let out a cry and her arm was caught and tore backwards. Her small frame was dangled in the air by Orin. She tried to fight, but his grip began to crush her arm. “Please brother, this isn’t you.” Skylark only managed to squeak out faintly.

The ruckus didn’t take long to spread to the king; he stormed out to see Orin hanging Skylark over a smaller fire and the giant wolf on its side with Luca next to it. Adara ran out and immediately covered her mouth in shock. She remembered quickly that Aine was by her side and picked her up to hide her eyes. “What is the meaning of this Orin?” He boomed his chest rising making him seem like the most intimidating person here.

“She doesn’t belong here father! She’s a threat to our system!” Orin shouted back. Not once did he loose his crushing grip on Skylark’s arm. His eyes began to glow with a sickening green power.

The King’s fury rose and it was visible. “You, you made a deal with a Voulg!” His voice was strong and sad. “Bast, lend me your power.” He turned as Adara’s Hand came up and touched his arm. A crushing power seemed to fill the air.

It was a fast moment. The King charged Orin. Skylark was dropped. Luca sprinted to stop her fall into the fire. Orin hit the ground. They were fighting. With speed. With strength.
Skylark pushed Luca’s arm out of her vision once they rolled out of danger of the fire. Orin was standing over their father now. That green glow in his eyes began to form a sword in his hand. She never knew what ‘power’ really meant. She couldn’t let her father die, even if he wasn’t really her father.

A single beat of her heart and everything seemed to stop. It was like the party again. Loud noises streamed in her ears and everything began to get dark. She wasn’t thinking, she was just moving. She could see in the darkness this time; everyone was clear. Orin’s silhouette was filled with that vile green color. She was running. Suddenly she had ahold of that foulness and pushed through Orin. Somehow plunging through him, she rolled onto the grass and the shadows were gone.
In the middle of the scene sat a slimy green object that had rolled to the ground with Skylark.

“Skylark, smash it!” Luca screamed breaking her from the haze she was in. She found a rock nearby and used all her might to crush the object. The girl was gasping for breath when she let herself fall against the ground again.