Status: Going slowly.

Little Black Bird

Alone together.

In South Woods I took for granted the warmth that let life thrive.

Skylark and Luca, followed by Brein, had been traveling for a week. The South Woods were a large span that they were nearing the end of. The days got shorter the closer they got to the border point where you could be in North, West, South, and East Woods all at once. The nights were also growing much colder.

The sun was going down as the two were barely reaching the border town. Luca turned to see how Skylark was doing. Brein was enjoying himself a little too much on this adventure, whereas the small girl wasn’t having as much fun leaving her warm home. He knew that everything that had been told to her must be setting in. She had to be careful for the time being. Her powers were being set off by her emotions and if she were to be consumed again it would cause chaos.

The tall male slowed his pace to walk beside Skylark. “I don’t think I’ll get used to your hair being dark.” He grabbed a piece and let it slip through his fingers. A tired smile graced her lips and she leaned her head in towards him. “Border town should be over this hill. We can sleep at an inn. You won’t have to be so cold tonight.” He said with a hint of worry. The cold was only going to get worse as they got closer to their destination and Skylark had never experienced real cold.

“You always have this air of knowledge and wisdom, Luca. I’m convinced you’re not nearly as young as you look.” Skylark stated with a yawn, a stretch, and a shiver. She wiggled her backpack around to try and relieve the soreness it was causing.

He laughed as he took her shoulder and brought her closer to him for warmth. “We’ll be finding out soon enough, won’t we young one.” He teased as they approached the faint lights of the town.

Somehow, traveling with Luca had brought out a more relaxed side of him. He played with her more often than he did back home. She couldn’t say that she didn’t feel safer out here than back in South Woods, but Luca just looked much more at ease.

Luca swung open the door to the inn and held it for Skylark and Brein. The wolf was his familiar, faster at sensing if Skylark was in trouble, and it was coming into the inn. They could bring up their issues with Brein themselves if they wanted. “We need two beds please. A fire would be preferred as well.” Luca told the innkeeper as he pulled out the gold the King had very much not forgotten to give them.

The inn was packed with travelers of all sorts. The now dark haired girl watched all the faces. She’d never seen skin colors so dark. There was someone with the brightest red of hair! A lot were so very short. A few were even shorter. The Faen were tall folk, she’d never seen anyone under 5’11”. “Luca, what are they? Their ears are so big!” She asked tugging on his sleeve.

Luca only managed a glance to try and spot who she was talking about. His attention was drawn back to the innkeeper though. “Sorry mate, we gots a fire for ya, but onl’ one bed. It’s a big en though.” The male that now towered over most in the building sighed and accepted the room. “Good! Take a seat! I’ll get ya’s sum grub.”

Skylark giggled as she had her head pressed closely to Luca’s arm. “He speaks funny.”

This was going to be a long road. He’d never been out of South Woods, that he knew of, but Luca was much less fazed and amazed with all the different people. None of it seemed to be as different to him as it did to the suddenly rejuvenated girl. Before long she was chatting up one of the shortest people in the room. She crouched over even while sitting down to hear them over the chatter of the inn. It was a man and his wife travelling from the very west. Then she was off at another table talking to the two women with large pointed ears from a country to the east. Skylark had never been this social in the South Woods.

Luca roped the excited girl back to where he was when the inn keep brought out their dinner. It was nothing like what they were used to in the South, but it was delicious none the less.

“Luca, I think that girl is looking at you.” Skylark managed to say through a large bite of her food. Royalty never did suit her. “She might have something interesting to say. Let’s talk to her!” She waved her hand frantically at the girl to beckon her over with food sticking out of her mouth.

At least she fit in with the tavern people and didn’t look like a high born Faen, and especially not a Faeren. They would have to talk about the fact that not everyone is good and trustworthy.

The other girl noticed Skylark’s antics and rose. She was tall and lean, much like Skylark herself. She had to be a Faen, but with more Human in her because her hair was a light brown and her skin was dotted with brown spots. She approached and took a seat across from the pair. “Your girl is makin herself quite known.” She said leaning across the table. “Who’re you tho? Mighty tall for someone with dark skin and a Fenrir followin you round.” She had a small, soft voice and she was probably younger than Skylark by a couple years. She carried herself with an air that Skylark never did. It said she wanted to be gawked at and it worked judging by the following eyes.

“Giant’s blood.” Luca replied shortly. He wasn’t sure if giants had dark skin, but it seemed like a fine excuse.

Skylark swallowed her food and nudged him with her elbow. “His name is Lucanous and I’m Skylark!” She held out her hand for the girl to shake.

The girl stared at her hand for a moment before completely forgetting it was there. Her dark blue eyes turned back to Luca. “Giant’s blood, huh? I ain’t seen a giant on Albright before. Mus’ be some old blood.” She reached across the table to pick up one of his hands and examine it. “A workin man I see. Rough hands, amos’ like bark.”

“Luca’s hands don’t feel like bark and could you please speak properly. It’s not ladylike to cut off your words.” Skylark huffed. There was a knot in her stomach that she attributed to the fact she wasn’t the one getting the attention.

The girl scoffed at Skylark’s comment and continued to focus her attention on Luca. The boy removed his hand from her grasp as he finished his food. “We need to rest, Lark.” He told the brunette who was slowly growing a victorious smile. He stood and signaled Brein to follow him to their room. Skylark resisted the urge to stick out her tongue at the other girl as she followed Luca; she was a proper lady.

“What was up with that girl? She was so…” The thin girl faded off to ponder the word she was looking for. She had never come across any girls like that. Except for maybe Kana. Lark kicked her legs off the side of the bed still thinking how to describe her.

Luca shed the bulky clothing he dawned for the cold. “Forward.” He stated simply. “Also what you’re going to need to get used to. There isn’t one strict social normal out here.” He sat on the bed next to her in his pants and shirt. “You can’t be welcoming any random person and telling them our names, Lark. We don’t know what we’re running from, but Bast told us it’s dangerous.”

Skylark looked up at him with the normal brightness returned to her eyes. “I’m sorry. I guess I got excited and forgot that we’re actually doing something serious.”

He ran his tanned hand through her hair and sighed. “Just be careful and I’ll have to worry less. Get changed for sleep, I’ll start a fire.”

Lark took off the warm long sleeves and bulky pants. She wasn’t used to wearing very tight or thick clothing. Most of her wardrobe was filled with dresses with no backs and translucent fabric or anything light and of the sort. She finished stripping down to a white tank top and loose pants. Her eyes followed Luca around the room as she lay on her stomach. She was always watching Luca she had realized since they left. It wasn’t just because there was nothing else to look at. It occurred to her that she was always watching him back home as well.

The muscular male turned once a bright fire was warming the room. His green eyes landed on her. She had averted her gaze to the lines that formed a tree on her arm. “Do you think this is you…but you as a tree…and if I was ever so emotional it would seep off my arm and back into you?” Skylark pondered aloud.

“Do you want me to be a tree?” Luca asked taking a side of the bed.

“I want that girl to be a tree…” She muttered under her breath causing Brein to turn and tilt his head at her sounds.

Luca chuckled as he closed his eyes to sleep. “Get some rest, Lark.”

The small girl moved to get under the warm blankets. As she put her head down on the pillow it finally set in that she had to share her bed with Luca. There were plenty of times when she wasn’t feeling well or was upset and he would stay with her until she fell asleep. They hadn’t slept in the same bed for years.

Luca rolled onto his side already falling into a sleep. His breath barely reached the nervous girl’s stiff shoulder. Her senses had heightened since her powers awakened, but every flutter of his eyelids was made aware to her. When had she become so conscious of him?